Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Baldwin Motion Nova

novadose71

Woopeee. I have three other projects going right now, but I couldn't wait to start this. Revell 69 Nova. I added a vinyl top, cut the stinger from a 67 Vette hood and am in the process of adding it to the stock Nova hood. I am not sure if I will build this as a Stage III Baldwin Motion or a replica 69 version of how I want my 1:1 71 to turn out, at this point it could go either way. Thanks for lookin..............hopefully more progress soon.

69nova023.jpg

69nova032.jpg

Edited by novadose71

Vinyl top looks good, how are you planning on doing it? Textured paint? Masking tape? What medium? :( I want to do a vinyl top on mine but I would like to see different inputs on this...

Thanks Marcos... I have several sizes of Evergreen strip, probably their 5 or 6 thinnest (.015 X .015, etc), for the trim I eyeball them on the body until one looks right then glue it where it needs to be (measure, mark, blahblahblah), for the vinyl seams I do the same, but use a strip that is a little too tall, then sand it down with a med sanding stick, rounding it off a little in the process. The plastic tends to mushroom over the sides too, which works to my advantage, then I will lightly blow the dust off, lightly wipe with a tack cloth, then put a wet coat or two of lacquer primer over the seams, just so it flows under the mushroomed plastic. Then mask the body, and mix Testors flat and semi-gloss paints until I have the right color, thin it down a little on the heavy side, spray at a higher pressure(30-35 PSI ???), usually wide open, through my airbrush( Badger 360)from about 2 feet away. You want dryer coats, not wet. I give multiple coats, with lots of dry time....you don't want the paint to flow too much. I have even rubbed down a top that had too rough of a texture with my finger while the paint was dry to the touch but still soft. It's no science with me, lots of trial and error. Phew. Sorry if I rambled,I don't think I forgot anything though. Oh yeah.........all measurements and techniques are guesstimates, so don't take them literally ;) I'll try to post a few examples later, but my daughter HAS to get to the park or she is going to have a konipstchion(?) :blink: fit..... ;) ;)

Edited by novadose71

've decided to build this as a Phase III now . I will have to raid my 69 B/M Camaro(then buy another one to replace it ;) ) for engine, sidepipes and & whatnot, and it definitely needs some sort of 5 spoke mags. Torque thrust's are always cool, but the 200-s daisy mags have been a favorite of mine forever, so we'll see what the parts box holds.

Something like this in Fathom Green........................just plain awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jav084.jpg

Looking good... I wouldn't be surprised if Revell didn't do a BM Nova as a varation on the new kit, after all, they did BM Corvette and Camaro kits..

and they did the chevelle too.......the model is turning out WAY cool.....even better is you have a REAL one that you want to look like that....cause i do too......here's a shot of in process resto on my nova.....

dsc01385.jpg

dsc01387.jpg

DSC01386.jpg

and they did the chevelle too.......the model is turning out WAY cool.....even better is you have a REAL one that you want to look like that....cause i do too......here's a shot of in process resto on my nova.....

Yes, forgot about the Chevelle...UPS delivered the Chevelle & 2 of the Novas to me tonight... I'm lovin' the Nova...great detail...the Chevelle is a nice update to an oldie also.

Sweet Nova Adam, the paint looks great, I wish mine was that far along. That hood looks like it fit's good. Is it from VFN? I almost bought one from them 5 or so years ago, it was like $600, and I didn't know anything about their quality so I backed out. I also saw one from another company a couple weeks ago, but can't remember who.

Hey Len-.010 X .020 styrene strip on the top trim.

Now for an update.

Got the hood done. I added a hood tach from a 68 Firebird and cut the scoop from a 67 Vette hood, I'm also stealing the 2 piece sidepipes from the same Vette. I decided to rob the engine from one of my 70 1/2 B/M Camaro's, it has all the B/M stuff(valve covers,ignition, fuel pumps,etc,etc), and you'd never know it is a 454. I put a peg in the transmission hole to mount it to the crossmember, cut the motor mounts off the block, and shortened the engine mounts on the chassis, it still sits a little high so I'll shorten them more when I get the oilpan glued on. Oh yeah, turned the fuel tank around too. Now I just need to come up with some headers, if anyone needs me, I'll be in the parts box........later.

69nova043.jpg

69nova039.jpg

That's shaping up very well Rob, nice work on the hood.. :D

I like the way you've done the top too....I may have to follow your lead........ :o

Have you any BB Camaro's in your stash...the headers from one of them ought to work.....I'll probly adapt the headers from an Amt BM Camaro, the 70, and use 3mm tube for the side pipes, like I did on my build up of the 70...

Was there much involved in turning the tank around..?

One of mine (eventually) will be a BM car for sure.....a must have, in my book...

Keep the great progress coming man, it's all I'm getting ATM to keep my passion high.... :blink: ...we wont see them down here in Aus for another month....maybe two....... :blink:<_< (though, I do have an eye on ebay......)

cheers mate.

Thanks for the Camaro header idea. I'll have to look into those. I bought 7 or 8 BB 69 Camaro kits when they were everywhere and got them cheap, for parts. Don't even know if I broke the seal on any of them yet except the B/M(same headers???) and Z-28 versions .

I held the 70 BM Camaro sidepipe headers up to the Nova chassis with the 454 in it, doesn't look like it would be too hard to adapt them. But they are a little flashy for what I have in mind, I'll use them when I build my other 70. I am planning on straight header, with a block off cap on them, and the Corvette sidepipes will be "welded" into the side if the collectors.

As far as the tank is concerned, it should be no problem really. Scribe around the tank till it pops off, spin it 180 degrees, glue down. This was my only error, make sure you get your scribing tool at a 90 degree angle between the tank and frame rails, I couldn't get in there square, and ended up with a lot of extra sanding to get it to sit flat, and a gap around the tank. I ended up flowing super glue around the perimeter till the gap was filled , then added a few drops of accelerator to set it, now it looks alright, and still only took about half an hour.

Thanks for the heads-up on the tank Rob.

If things did go a little askew with the scribing, be easy enough to glue a piece of flat sheet to the hole, then reglue the tank back on top of that...would help recover any lost depth due to sanding...??

Mate, I have the BM 69 Camaro as well, pretty sure (99.999%) the headers are the same as regular BB (Yenko) and it has the "S" pipes to connect from header to sidepipes...

Look forward to more on this wild ride mate.. ;):D

I went through my 69 Camaro kits, which, BTW, I bought most of them to kitbash with the AMT Nova(no need for that now)all the BB headers are the same, but I'm not sure I will be using them. I'll have to glue them together and test fit them with the chassis/engine and see how they look. I also have to check my Revell pro street Chevelle, and any other BB Chevy I have too.

Stump, I got a little sloppy scribing when I removed my gas tank, but even with the xtra sanding I don't think I lost much, if any, depth. But if you had to, a flat sheet would work well. I'll post chassis pics with my next update so you can see the results for yourself, probably sometime this coming weekend.............Thanks all, for your suggestions and comments, see ya.

• 3 weeks later...

69nova050.jpg

69nova057.jpg

Finally got some paint on this thing. Testors Fathom Green lacquer, with 2 coats of their one coat lacquer clear, the stuff lays down pretty good, we'll see how it polishes out in the next couple days. I narrowed down my wheel choices to the 32 Sedan or 66 Penske Vette wheels, unless I get my hands on some daisy wheels. I hope to get the vinyl top sprayed in the morning........and finish another project that is taking up way too much of my build time, then I can really get cranking on this.

Whoo.....Rob, that green suits it to a T......very very nice.

Not wanting to throw too many ideas at ya, but have you tried the 5 spokes and M/T's from the Amt BMCamaro...?? I think they would suit it too......yummo .. :lol:

She's coming along nicely mate, keep at it..

cheers

Greg

Thanks for the wheel idea's Stump, the more options the better. I've got those nice (Rocket?)wheels on my 70 Torino CJ and the Mickey T's on my 73 Javelin. I have one more 70 B/M Camaro( a great donor kit BTW) and I want to resin cast the tires before I build it, and the wheels are a bit too chrome for the look I'm after, the American's on it now will get a shot of Dullcoat if I keep them on.. I'm also trying to track down a Fast and Furious 70 charger diecast to see if the daisy's from it will work on this Nova. BTW My wife had the morning off , so I didn't get the vinyl top sprayed today, or my other project finished, :o but I started polishing the hood and it's lookin pretty good with minimal effort. Thanks for stoppin'

:huh: ..No worries Rob. Yes, the BM 70 Camaro does make a good "parts" car.....I have 4, built 1..... :lol: Still have a couple of rim sets, but only 1 set of tyres left. :wub:

Great idea of resin casting those M/T's....wish I'd thought of that...the last set have a car lined up already......

BTW, I do like the choice of wheels you have on it at presant, they do suit it well.. :o