Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Dodge -- My Tunaboat Replica -- W.I.P.

Ramfins59

Hopefully not the smell too! (can you do scale model smells?)

My old 325i was first owned by a meat buyer for Sainsbury's supermarket, it took years to lose the smell from the boot (trunk)!

Lovely Dodge.

Edited by DonW

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions everyone.

Gregg, that cream color is too light, but thanks.

Charlie, the Wimbledon White on the fins is good because they were a slightly oof-white color. I have 7 different shades of yellow and none of them are even close.

Carl, I originally sprayed the Afrika Mustard over Duplicolor light gray primer and it came out too dark. I don't want it to be darker, I want it to be lighter.

Don, LOL, no I do NOT want to replicate that dead fish smell in this model.. LOL.

Well, believe it or not, I found that I had some paint "very close" to what I needed right in front of me all along and didn't realize it. I use Floquil, water based, flat, model railroad paints for my interiors. It comes in jars and has to be brush painted on. One of the colors I use is called Depot Buff and while it is wet it is a perfect match to the picture of the car, but when it dried it turns just a bit darker. It's not as dark as the Afrika Mustard color though. Since I don't have an airbrush I brush painted it on the car in 2 coats. The paint dried dead flat with no brush strokes. It is as close a match to the car as I think I'm ever going to get. I'll be giving the body a couple of coats of enamel clearcoat this afternoon and will post pictures as soon as it is done and dries for awhile.

Now I can move on to working on the interior which will have its own set of challenges.

Thomas, I thought of trying that but I didn't have any water based white Floquil paint. I'm pretty satisfied with how it looks now even though it is a tad darker. I doubt that this will turn out to be a "masterpiece" but I thank you for your encouraging words.

OK. I finally got this beast painted and clearcoayed. While the paint is a tad darker than the picture, I am satisfied with the way it turned out. Now I just have to wait about a week for the enamel clearcoat to fully dry before I start handling the body for polishing and foiling. This will give me plenty of time to work on the resin interior bucket. It's moving right along. Stay tuned for further updates, and thanks for following along.

TUNABOATREPLICAPAINTED21024x691_zps5c54a

TUNABOATREPLICAPAINTED11024x759_zpsf5337

TUNABOATREPLICAPAINTED31024x746_zps6e34b

As a side note here, it took 3 tries to get these 3 pictures posted from my PhotoBucket acct. I wish they would stop changing their procedures around...... it is extremely frustrating and annoying.

Looks good Rich. What color did you end up using.??

It's a new color in the Testors One Coat Lacquer line called "Baby Poo"! :D Just kidding Rich! It made my day to see you are making progress on this all important build!

And John... why don't you and Amy get a room and stay over Friday night. Heck, I rented a whole hotel just for the fun of it! Seriously, Friday night is well worth coming. Some folks say they have as much fun there as at the show. And it is a brand new restaurant this year! Check the website for the special hotel deal. In fact, our killer rate may be less than driving to Jersey twice considering gas and the tolls!

Thanks everyone.

Carl, I wound up using a color called Depot Buff by Floquil/Polly S. It is a water based, dead flat paint used in model railroading. I clearcoated it with Model Master gloss clear enamel.

John, be patient...... at least it's painted and clearcoated now.

Tom, you're right in calling it "baby poo". That's exactly what we used to call the color of the real car. I'm being patient with this so I can try to get it looking as close as I can to the 1:1 car.

• 2 weeks later...

The enamel clearcoat finally dried enabling me to polish it out and do all the BMF work. Here's how it looks now......

TUNABOATMODELPAINTEDANDFOILED11024x763_z

TUNABOATMODELPAINTEDANDFOILED21024x752_z

TUNABOATMODELPAINTEDANDFOILED31024x763_z

Also, the headliner is painted and the headliner bows have been foiled. I still have to make interior visors and install the courtesy lights. Work is progressing on the resin interior bucket and that progress will be reported as soon as I have something good to show. I also have to cut the side window glass out of the one piece promo glass.

Thanks for following along.