Model Cars Magazine Forum

help with trailers

They don't look terribly heavy duty, your best bet may be to scratch them. You might could start with the AMT Fruehauf flat bed to have some suspension to rob and a start on the decking. One of the resin casters does a dolly but I can't think of who at the moment.

Nobody makes a "kit" of hay flats but the best kit to make some from would be the old IMC/Testors flatbed for the trailers themselves. The trailer bed in that kit is comprised of two short flatbeds so no cutting of the beds would be needed. I would get the running gear and wheels aftermarket though as they're not that great in that kit.

Nobody makes a "kit" of hay flats but the best kit to make some from would be the old IMC/Testors flatbed for the trailers themselves. The trailer bed in that kit is comprised of two short flatbeds so no cutting of the beds would be needed. I would get the running gear and wheels aftermarket though as they're not that great in that kit.

the problem with those is that the frame work isnt realy that good,not heavy enough for a flat bed IMO.Also one of those halfs are too short so you would still need to cut and splice.Start with the amt flat beds,much less hassle

the problem with those is that the frame work isnt realy that good,not heavy enough for a flat bed IMO.Also one of those halfs are too short so you would still need to cut and splice.Start with the amt flat beds,much less hassle

I agree that the frame and running gear/wheels on the IMC/Testors and most recently by Lindberg, flatbed are junk but for the bed portion, I believe this kit would be the best choice as the bed height is very low and the beds have internal stake pockets rather than an exterior rub rail which when not added to the AMT flatbed kit, minimizes the overall width of the trailer. Also, both bed sections in the IMC/Testors/Lindberg flatbed kit are identical as you can see in the following pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-IMC-HEAVY-DUTY-FLAT-BED-TRAILER-TRUCK-MODEL-KIT-1-25-scale-/190710321888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c673892e0

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4abb3278f2

Edited by Ben

• 4 weeks later...

The tubes for a rack would be easy to build if you are looking at a true hay hauler. But up here in North Dakota they are hauling hay out of here like crazy on any trailer they can put it on due to the draught conditions around the us. People paying like 18k a load. But hay trailers here are pretty much standard wood decking flatbeds. And if they are specific farm use they have the racks. I have seen bales on Lowboys, 48' flatbeds, Anything they fit on.

post-6455-0-72308100-1348865137_thumb.jp

post-6455-0-63418200-1348865146_thumb.jp