Model Cars Magazine Forum

Perry's Resin

Nick, I built on of Randy's 70 Cuda conversions for my Swede Savage build and it was really nice. I'm in the process of building another for a friend and I'm interested in buying another though he does not have it listed on the web anymore. Does he make this kit? Again I called and emailed and never got a return from him. One of my friends Bud Lefever was friends with Randy and I was able to get the resin I needed just by asking Bud. Now since buds passing in 2009 I havent had any luck.

Matt

Did you call on a Monday? if so, Randy's store is closed Monday and that's the number he has listed, Next week is this months Meeting, I can check then.

Nick

• 3 months later...

On 1/5/2010 I mailed a check with a completed order form for four kits listed in Perry’s Resin online catalog (1981 Malibu 2dr, 1981 Malibu wagon, 1968 Buick GSX, 1975 Maverick 4dr). Months went by and the check remained uncashed. Based on things I then read online about Perry’s, I thought maybe they went out of business since the owner, Randy Frost, was busy concentrating his time on his hobby shop. Then, in early May 2010, I received a message on my answering machine from Mr. Frost telling me he just found my order, didn’t know where it has been all these months and will be cashing the check and filling my order soon. On 5/5/2010 the check was cashed. In July of 2010 I still hadn’t received anything and called Mr. Frost inquiring about the status of my order. He said he didn’t know off the top of his head so he took my name and phone number and said he’d call me the next day. I never received a call. Early September of 2010 I called again and Mr. Frost told me he had just one more part to cast to complete my order, I should expect it soon.

Out of frustration and now knowing the reputation of Perry’s (waits of over a year are typical) based on online research, I didn’t contact Mr. Frost again until early 2011. I wrote an email explaining the situation and requesting a response, which I re-sent about every other week, the last one being May 2011. I sent a total of five emails over a few months and thought persistence would pay off, but I received no responses.

I then called Mr.Frost twice in June 2011. The first time he told me he moved his casting operation to his hobby shop and my order is almost done, the second time he told me it’s done and packaged up but due to the Canadian postal strike he couldn’t send it.

The postal strike ended June 27, 2011, and even taking into account how backed up the postal service was due to the strike, I thought I should have my order by late July. I again called Mr. Frost on 7/26/2011. He told me he mailed it the second week of July and another order he shipped to a location near me had been received, so expect it anytime.

It is now August 31, 2011, and I have still received nothing. Every call between Mr. Frost and myself has been friendly and polite, but obviously has gotten me nowhere. My e-mails go unanswered. I don’t know what else I can do. I’m not looking to get anyone in trouble here, I just want the merchandise I paid for well over a year ago.

That's my Perry's Resin nightmare.

Still want to order something from him?

Ed

Over a year... and he clearly knows about your order, and has even told you on at least one occasion it was on the way. I'd send him another e-mail or call him again and make it quite clear that within two weeks I either wanted my product or my money back. I might even bring up the subject of 'mail fraud'. I've heard this same story about Perry's over and over (I've even had people tell me he's no longer in business) sounds to me like Perry or Randy or whoever needs to find another line of work. Seriously- there's actually quite a bit of stuff in the Perry's catalog I'd love to have, but I've heard a few too many horror tales, and I've pretty much come to the conclusion they're one caster I'll never buy from. Really- does he have some kind of family tragedy unfold every month? Four to eight weeks is fine- four months is okay, six is pushing it, anything past six is just unacceptable. Personally, I'd have dropped 'friendly and polite' on my end long before now.

Yet another tale of a great product done in by poor customer service. I have watched this play out several times over the years and it never is pretty.

As Mark has stated, Nick lives close to Randy's shop and he has a better handle on what is going on. That being said, maybe a PM to Nick to see if he can get this resolved will do more than a nasty phone call or email.

Like Chuck, I want to buy from Perry's but the risk is too great. If I were to spot the pieces I desire at a show or a hobby shop, I would be buying them up in no time.

Like the others before them, this is another story of a great product/caster who has tarnished their name and industry with poor communication and service. I continue to buy resin from only a handful of companies that have demonstrated their ability to earn my business. I prefer to buy in person if possible as that is the best way to see the item before shelling out the cash.

Yet another tale of a great product done in by poor customer service. I have watched this play out several times over the years and it never is pretty.

As Mark has stated, Nick lives close to Randy's shop and he has a better handle on what is going on. That being said, maybe a PM to Nick to see if he can get this resolved will do more than a nasty phone call or email.

Like Chuck, I want to buy from Perry's but the risk is too great. If I were to spot the pieces I desire at a show or a hobby shop, I would be buying them up in no time.

I prefer to buy in person if possible as that is the best way to see the item before shelling out the cash.

In the case of this guy- if I bumped into him at a show and he had what I wanted, yeah, I'd snap it right up! But as far as buying via internet or mail. Uh-uh. Not gonna happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone had any recent dealing with Perry's Resiin?. I sent an email in Nov. and never received a reply.

I seem to recall reading some negative comments a while back.

What I am interested in are the Willy's and Anglia chassis. And was the long nose "T" ever produced?

Thanks for any assistance.

Don

Plug perry's Resin into the search feature and you will get a bunch of topics about Perry's, good and bad.

There is a member here, Nick Winter I believe, who lives near and is friends with Randy Frost, the owner of Perry's as well as a hobby shop, and he may be able to help you in your dealings with him.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Perrys Resin. I've tried contacting him through the link on his website, but haven't heard back. I find this unusual as they've always responded to e-mail.

Thanks for any help.

This is my first time dealing with Perry's Resin... and I'm afraid that it's going to be my last. I ordered a simple little $5 resin scoop for my Tamiya Porsche 962 kit back in May, and here it is halfway through August with no results. No response to my emails, and when I called the place on the phone I had a great conversation with the gent on the phone. Except for the part where he told me that he sent it out six weeks ago, and that he would send out another one. This was in early July. I really want to try on the resin Ferrari 333SP, but if I can't get a $5 scoop in three months, what's gonna happen with a $155 kit? I'll get what I need from Strada Sports.

I live not to far away from Randys Hobby shop:

http://www.daileyhobbies.com/

He's a great guy to deal with and his product is Excellent, his store is the only real HS in a big area and its always busy !!! Product

is well worth the wait and as noted above our mail system leaves a lot to be desired. I would give him another call.

Rick

Randy has told me chilling accounts about the Mail in the Great White North . Well , maybe a little lower where our Canadian Friends live . You know what , these are true accounts . He isn't making this stuff up . We make jokes about "going Postal" and complain about our Postal service . They have it bad , we do not . His stuff is Superior to the Average Caster . Best way , meet him at the Shows . Or , fantasy thinking , go to his Hobby Shop . Thanx ..

Courrier would be great its the cost up here,as an example I sent to big rig kits to fellow in Ohio cost 48.00 Cdn via Ups,

he sent me two back cost him 22.00 US. Anything we do tack 13% tax onto as well. The interesting thing I was going to send the kits by Canada Post they were more expensive then Courrier !!

As noted Randy's resin is awesome and his HS is great, we are close to Toronto and his shop is by far better then anything in the city.HS are few and far between up here these days !! He is a busy man, I don't know when he gets a chance to cast !!

Rick

I am from Canada and I buy a lot of things online, from Canada, the US and other countries , and have always got my stuff, sometimes it's a long wait, but I do get my stuff. The usual wait for stuff shipped from the US to Canada with USPS First class is 2 - 3 weeks, maybe a month max. I also shipped items to the US (about 150 times) and on that only one complained she didn't get the item (although I believe she only wanted it free...) 1 time out of 150, I think it's good.

I would like to buy parts from Perry's Resin, but heard too many bad feedback about him, not about the quality of his parts, but because of too many people that never received the parts they ordered...

Edited by Bruno

I have several parts that I have bought at local shows that were made by Perry's and they are nice but after the last order I placed taking over two months with nothing but excuses and lies, I got my money back through my credit card and vow to never order from him again!

If you want to order from Perry's Resin, e-mail Randy to check availability first. If he says the item is in stock, you'll probably get it fast. If he says he will cast it, it will take some time. If he doesn't answer your e-mail and you really, really need that item, wait for a month or two and e-mail him again.

I've ordered from him before, I got the items within a month and the casting is top notch. But I made sure the item is in stock before I placed my order.