Model Cars Magazine Forum

86 olds Cutlass

That's right, but the car's 'sheetmetal' can be shaped out of putty- you'd more or less be using the MPC body as a buck. That's the approach I'm taking for this one. The 1:1's share the same body structure, but the skin is completely different among the various models.

The regal can be used as a basis for this conversion. I know because I did one in the early nineties, that I eventually abandoned due to problems making the hood, primarily due to material issues. (back them I only knew about green squadron putty, and it kept warping the scratch-built hood.) You are right about every body panel being different but enough of the underlying shape is there to modify/build up the correct body panels. the front and rear clips have to be done from scratch as well as the interior and other details. I may attempt this again sometime this year though.

• 1 month later...

I would have to say that they would sell more of the Oldsmobile Cutlass kits than they think. Just look at the sales numbers of the 1:1 cars . If they just came out with a 78 or 79 I would be happy !

Also I do not think that anybody has ever produced a rear drive Cutlass in 1/25 or 1//24 scale past the 74 model year , in any medium .

I'm going to try building one of these, I would be able to use most of the regal kit. the fenders and quarter windows would need to be reshaped, the doors could be left alone, and then I would need to make a hood, front and rear bumper, taillights, headlights, dash, and a grill to finish the conversion.... Time to get to the bench!

Talked to a friend of mine that has a 1985 G body Cutlass . He told me that the Buick and the olds share the doors and roof with a different rear Quarters and deck lid.

Yes the side windows in the rear are different so is the front clip. The olds and the monty have the same frame. not sure about the buick.

Interesting. Maybe Antonio or someone else who is a member of the Lay It Low forum knows who made a resin body once before, though I'm not sure these are the same or even related.

Ryan, who owned scalelows.com had casted a resin cutlass body, but they are long gone. The site is no longer running, due to his passing last year.

• 2 weeks later...
I can see this as a potential 3-in-1 kit : - Stock - Low Rider - Street Machine I can just see two different engines : - V6 ( Buick or Chevy ?) - "Generic" small block V8 (305 , ad seq.) Induction : - Stock 2Bbl for both engines - Single 4Bbl option for both engines - Tunnel Ram for V8 With both backed by a 200-4R . Engine-side Exhaust : - Stock iron manifolds - Headers with trim-to-desired-length collectors Wheels : - Stock Oldsmobile Rally Wheels - Daytons - Plain Steel Wheels (with wider size for rear for hot rod / bracket racer build) Tyres : - Stock 225 75-14's ( or whatever was stock size ) - Skinny whitewalls for the Daytons - D.O.T. Slicks (small enough to fit the wheelwells) for the Street Machine / Bracket version) Interior : - Stock bench seat / column shift - Bucket seat / rear seat delete panel for speakers (Low Rider) - Bucket seats / console with stock shifter , "Lightening Rod" shifters for race version (similar to the Hurst version ) Optional steering wheels , roll bar , gauges , etc. Hoods : - stock flat hood - "Cowl Induction" style hood - "L88" style hood Exhaust : - Stock single exhaust - True dual exhaust Everything in the engine compartment should be separate in order to facilitate a plain race car version. I firmly believe that if Revell-Monogram were to make it a 3-in-1 kit , that its sales would be quite strong !

Couple of small corrections:

The standard tires on the Cutlasses through about 1982 were P185/75R14, with P19575R14 being the far more commonly-ordered option. P205/75R14 and P205/70R14 were also available. Hurst/Olds and 4-4-2s used P215/65R15.

Oldsmobiles did in fact, use mostly Olds V8s. The 260 and the 307. The 305 was offered from 1978-80, and then in the Hurst/Olds in 1983-84. The Olds V8s are visibly different than a Chevy V8.

The standard automatic was usually a TH200/200C, with the 200R4 available from 1984-'88, and the only choice in 1988 as the Cutlass Supreme Classic with the 307 standard. Occasionally, a TH350 would be seen on some V8 cars.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...