Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for those that use non hobby specific primers such as Krylon

I've noticed plenty of people have had success using Krylon primers and even paints as they are more affordable. My question is; are you guys picking Krylon paints and primers that specifically state that they are for plastics? Or are you just using the 'regular' Krylon cans that you can find at your local stores?

Also, I found a rattle can of Rustoleum Clear Gloss in my garage; would this be useful for modeling?

Krylon paints work great over Tamiya primer an most primers. i have used it on bare plastic before. The same with Rustoleum they work well with most primers. I have Krylon clear but i generally use Testors clear over all paint i use. Do not use Krylon fusion on any model it ruins the plastic...

Stay away from "general" paints that state they're for plastic, as they're formulated to "bite" into plastic and are much too harsh for our work.

If you want a GOOD cheap primer, Walmart's CHEAP house brand gray is about as good as you can find anywhere. Wonderful stuff--it's been my go-to primer for about two years now.

I guess I am probably the odd person out in the conversation as I am a first timer and a novice builder, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. On my project I have been mostly just using what ever I have left over from other projects. Rattle can and even automotive stuff. As for pirmer I am cheap and dirty. I used sandable primers on parts that I wanted a "rough" look. For colors I mix and match my stuff, but I do have a background in automotive paint and bodywork with my restorations that I have done.

Mind you this is not finished (you can find the build in the On the workbench section) I used very little "hobby" specific paint as that stuff is expensive for what you get so I only buy it when I need a specific color and not much of it. The blue is a Wally World color with a Krylon flat topcoat. The frame base color is a black sandalbe PPG automotive primer that I always have on hand.

7645_orig.jpg

Edited by thejunkman

Thanks for the tips guys; I think I'll try and check out some of that Color Place primer from Walmart, seems to be extremely affordable.

What about paints? I have tons of Testor enamel rattle cans but have heard that I can't expect good results from them. Hearing Kyrlon and Duplicolor spray cans are a good choice.

Not to muddy the waters but I have migrated away from most "automotive" type paints and moved into the nail polish realm...

This Camaro was shot with a Chrome nail polish over Dupont sandable grey primer.

You need to use Dupont or Rustoleum primers as most nail polishes are laquer based and are "hot" to the base plastic.

Buying a couple bottles of nail polish at the dollar store is MUCH cheaper then a rattle can, even at Walmart. And the colors are endless. You will need a bit of laquer thinner for mixing and cleaning the airbrush but a quart of that is pretty cheap and lasts for a long time.

Mark

post-601-0-17657800-1430733047.jpg

post-601-0-79973400-1430733061.jpg

post-601-0-10490200-1430733077_thumb.jpg

Edited by astroracer

• 2 weeks later...

Are you near an Ollies? It's a closeout store chain.

I recently bought Plastikote auto primer spray cans for $1.50 a can. I use Plastikote or Duplicolor primers exclusively on my models. I bought all they had, so I spent $25., the equivalent of buying 3 cans in the real world. This should last me a few years!

Both Plastikote and Duplicolor primers are excellent. I'd personally stay away from primers made for craft and household use...if you want professional looking results.

The Plastikote and Duplicolor products are made for real-car work, are sandable, and come in several colors and high-build and regular.

Primer, especially no-name unknown formulation junk is NOT the place to save money...if you want consistent good results with no primer surprises (like crazing).

I'm still eager to use up the cans of Testor enamels that I already have however.

You can get good results with Testors enamel rattlecans, but it takes a bit of practice and persistence, as well as patience to allow for things like recoat-windows and full dry-to-polish times (geological).

Both Plastikote and Duplicolor primers are excellent. I'd personally stay away from primers made for craft and household use...if you want professional looking results.

The Plastikote and Duplicolor products are made for real-car work, are sandable, and come in several colors and high-build and regular.

Primer, especially no-name unknown formulation junk is NOT the place to save money...if you want consistent good results with no primer surprises (like crazing).

Agreed. I cringe at some of the cheap dollar store like supplies guys mention on the boards... whether it's using the right primer and paints, real Bare Metal Foil, Tamiya tapes, glues or other supplies... you are just cheating yourself out of professional looking results.

All in all, for the time you spend on building a model, the correct supplies really aren't costly at all... especially once you've spread them across several model builds. I know that I don't want to get 3/4 the way through a 50 hour build to find that the cheapo primer and paint I used has crazed because I saved $5.

The right stuff makes building more pleasurable and the results much more professional.

Edited by Tom Geiger

One word of warning with using Krylon paints: They have a re coat window that must be adhered to strictly. Usually, it's within one hour or after twenty-four. Anything in between will result in disastrous results! Read the can beforehand to make sure of the re coat times.