Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suggest 1957 Chevrolet model kit?

Hey guys,

I was thinking of doing a 1957 Chevrolet and was wondering which model kit you recommended? I've read good things about the AMT 100th Anniversary kit that came in a metal tin http://www.ncphobbies.com/vehicles-1/20-to-1/29-scale/amt-plastic-model-kits-1/25-1957-chevy-bel-air-100th-anniversary-collectible-tin-plastic-models/amt7

I know there are other AMT kits as well. Are these as detailed as the 100th Ann. Tin kit?

What about the Revell 1957 Chevrolet kit?

What are the pros/cons of each choice?

Thanks,

Jed

If you want to stay in 1:25 scale:

The 100th anniversary kit, is the '60s tooling Bel Air. It's a good kit, and I like it a lot but it's not as detailed as the newer tool kits. I built it and loved it, but for some, the detail level is not enough.

There is a newer version of the '57 Chevy, also by AMT, with more detail and opening trunk. It's a kit of the same level of detail as the AMT '20 Catalina, '58 Edsel, or '58 Plymouth. newer tool, like I said.

The Revell kit is not a Hardtop, like the Monogram 1:12 and the AMT kits, it's a two door sedan (with post), and it's also a new tool kit, with great detail.

If you would like something that doesn't need a lot of prep work, don't get the recent Ed Roth '57 kit. Its based on a tooling from the 60's, so there's a bunch of sanding that needs to be done. Plus, its an "all doors open" kit, and the parts are fidly to get to sit right.

I have built the original, '60's issue AMT kit, which has been reissued multiple times, as well as the original, '60's issue Revell kit- that's the one with the opening doors and trunk. It has also been reissued multiple times, most recently as an Ed Roth car.

The AMT kit is nice, but does lack some detail in that the exhaust system is molded into the chassis, and the kit uses one-piece metal (maybe plastic in more current versions) axles. That hood used to hinge with a funky metal clip; the current status of that is unknown. You should have no real difficulties building this kit.

The Revell kit has a zillion parts, ergo, more detail, but they have not been flash-free for way too long, almost since the first issue. The doors and trunk require a lot of work to make then operate smoothly. Let me repeat: a lot of work. If you don't mind a lot of work, this can build up nicely.

MPC did make a two-door with post (I guess it's a sedan) with a flip front-end; more or less a gasser on a frame that it shared with a '50's Ford truck by the same manufacturer. For what it is, it's not too bad, but it won't build into a stock '57 Chevy. I did build one and I like the way it turned out.

All of the above are 1/25 scale. Monogram did do a 1/24 scale version, but other than reading an article by Tim Boyd in an old issue of SAE, I have no knowledge of the kit.

Edited by johnbuzzed

The best of the 1/24-1/25 57 Chevies is the new tool released by AMT in the early 2000's. There is a stock version with a picture of a pink car on the box and a street machine version with a blue model with Corvette wheels on the box. This is the hardtop version of the car that has become iconic unlike the new Revell kit that is the post window body style. There's nothing wrong with the 100th anniversary kit but it is dated and there are other kits to consider now.

If you want to stay in 1:25 scale:

The 100th anniversary kit, is the '60s tooling Bel Air. It's a good kit, and I like it a lot but it's not as detailed as the newer tool kits. I built it and loved it, but for some, the detail level is not enough.

There is a newer version of the '57 Chevy, also by AMT, with more detail and opening trunk. It's a kit of the same level of detail as the AMT '20 Catalina, '58 Edsel, or '58 Plymouth. newer tool, like I said.

The Revell kit is not a Hardtop, like the Monogram 1:12 and the AMT kits, it's a two door sedan (with post), and it's also a new tool kit, with great detail.

I have to correct you on that one. The 100th anniversery kit is the "new tool" (1990s) kit with opening trunk, photoetch plugwires and chromefoil. I am currently using that to build the car from the movie Return to Macon county.

It looks like it is going togheter very well.

I have Revells new tool 150/Black Widow kit, and the Bel Air 2 door post kit and the AMT "new tool" in three different versions, number 8315 (1:1 two door post car on boxcover) and number 8455 (yellow built up on boxcover) that is AMT/ERTL Pro Shop with photoetch and such and then the 100th anniversery that is the same as the proshop kit.

Some years ago I also had the old tool AMT kit and that is maybe lacking i detail a littlebit but come with loads of custom parts (apart from a very late release that is stock only). I also had the AMT 1:16 kits (Convertible, Coupe and Nomad) and they looked quite nice but I never built them so I don't know how well they will turn out when done.

For my money, I would go for either the Revell new tool 150/black widow or two door post Bel Air or the new Convertible kit they released last year or the AMT "new tool" kit in one of it's versions.

They look the best, have the best details and should go together without to much hazzle.

I have to correct you on that one. The 100th anniversery kit is the "new tool" (1990s) kit with opening trunk, photoetch plugwires and chromefoil. I am currently using that to build the car from the movie Return to Macon county.

It looks like it is going togheter very well.

I have Revells new tool 150/Black Widow kit, and the Bel Air 2 door post kit and the AMT "new tool" in three different versions, number 8315 (1:1 two door post car on boxcover) and number 8455 (yellow built up on boxcover) that is AMT/ERTL Pro Shop with photoetch and such and then the 100th anniversery that is the same as the proshop kit.

Some years ago I also had the old tool AMT kit and that is maybe lacking i detail a littlebit but come with loads of custom parts (apart from a very late release that is stock only). I also had the AMT 1:16 kits (Convertible, Coupe and Nomad) and they looked quite nice but I never built them so I don't know how well they will turn out when done.

For my money, I would go for either the Revell new tool 150/black widow or two door post Bel Air or the new Convertible kit they released last year or the AMT "new tool" kit in one of it's versions.

They look the best, have the best details and should go together without to much hazzle.

Looks like the guy that sold me the 100th anniversary kit did something "smart". I got it used (open box) from ebay, and the contents were the old tool kit (complete and with the parts sealed in their bags).

I also have the '51 Chevy in the tin box, and this one I got sealed at a hobby shop, but there are no photoetched detail or plug wires, just a regular '51 Fleetline kit, with some extra material related to the history of GM, and the car.

Looks like the guy that sold me the 100th anniversary kit did something "smart". I got it used (open box) from ebay, and the contents were the old tool kit (complete and with the parts sealed in their bags).

I also have the '51 Chevy in the tin box, and this one I got sealed at a hobby shop, but there are no photoetched detail or plug wires, just a regular '51 Fleetline kit, with some extra material related to the history of GM, and the car.

You must have been scammed with the 100th anniversery 57 kit then. I don't have the 51 fleetline but the 57 Bel Air is the new tool version and the only difference between the 100th anniversery edition and the Pro Shop version (apart from the tin box) is a brochure with info and period promo paintings of the car in the 100th anniversery kit. I bought mine from a hobby shop after it came out.

I can also add that the "new tool" versions came out in 1998, or atleast they are copyrighted 1998 on the boxes.

hqdefault.jpgCCI10012009_00000-vi.jpg6563-57chevyred2.JPGCCI10012009_00000-vi.jpg I think there may be some to confusion as to the fact that there were actually two AMT 1/25th '57 Chevy Bel Airs. The first issue, above with the blue and red cars being a 3 in 1 kit build able as stock, race and with many styled parts a custom. 305e_1_jpeg-vi.jpg also many single version reissues, with and without the custom parts.$_35.JPG

Edited by Greg Myers

The second issue, often referred to as the "New Tool" version ( actually originally issued some time ago) had the open trunk. Identifying which you have can be daunting at times as they have both be reissued many times and overlapping. :huh: New tool 1957_Chevrolet_Bel_Air_Box_1-th.jpg102201021528AM-vi.jpgm8hAwj8SkG3j--NXQpXFAQw.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers