Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/20th 1970 AMC AMX

Austin T

That would be a FANTASTIC idea for all these old1:32 kits...

That would be more expensive, cuz at that scale, details are omitted or exaggerated, so a lot more retooling has to be done, to get a decent model in scale and then only feasible, as a snapper IMHO.

IIRC Monogram at the time, used the body (buck) from their 1/32nd scale snap-tite '69 Charger to tool up the body for their Pro-Modeler kit and it did cost them dearly....

Scaling down I think is easier and in the past I wondered, if for example the Monogram 1/8th scale '80 Trans Am, would be a great start to tool up, an all new 1/25th scale kit of that generation Firebird's.

I actually met the owner of the Charger used for that ProModeler kit at least 15 years ago at an all Mopar car show. At the time he was still pretty mad at RMX over that screw up. When they originally measured the car, it was during the more vintage car friendly weather, but when he got the call that they needed to remeasure the car, it was November and he had already put it up for the season as well as took the full coverage off of it for the season. He had to drag it out with only partial insurance coverage to their facility for the measurements while they all stood out in a parking lot on a cold, grey November day in Chicago. Apparently the guys from RMX that were redoing their work were also kinda mad, as they too were stuck out in those conditions.

Edited by Joe Handley

that goofball scale kills it for me. too bad too because I would be all over a 1/24 or 1/25 kit.

actually its not that goofball...Tamiya uses it for their open wheel cars.

jb

MPC got it right when they did the Can-Am McLaren's ( Mk8b & Mk8d ) in 1/20. Not goofball at all.

The original 1968 1/20 scale AMX from MPC was available at American Motors dealerships as part of a promotion. I saved my paper-boy money to get it. I was so happy to get that one. I do not really have a problem with 1/20 scale, as I have several Corvettes, and a 1970 Econoline Van, as well as the "Lightening Bolt" version of the '70 AMX. Remember, AMT marketed the JoHan tooling of the 1968-70 AMX in 1/25 scale, and jJoHan wore the tooling out with their USA Oldies/Drag-On-Lady/Pro-Street '69 AMX with the incorrect 1970 interior. I was fortunate that I was able to get my hands on a used 1968-9 Interior Tub, and Flat Hood for one of my "Race Cars.. Keith Marks did some nice AMX Striping for the '68/9 Cars.

The original 1968 1/20 scale AMX from MPC was available at American Motors dealerships as part of a promotion. I saved my paper-boy money to get it. I was so happy to get that one. I do not really have a problem with 1/20 scale, as I have several Corvettes, and a 1970 Econoline Van, as well as the "Lightening Bolt" version of the '70 AMX. Remember, AMT marketed the JoHan tooling of the 1968-70 AMX in 1/25 scale, and jJoHan wore the tooling out with their USA Oldies/Drag-On-Lady/Pro-Street '69 AMX with the incorrect 1970 interior. I was fortunate that I was able to get my hands on a used 1968-9 Interior Tub, and Flat Hood for one of my "Race Cars.. Keith Marks did some nice AMX Striping for the '68/9 Cars.

My father has a unbuilt Jo-Han 69 AMX with the correct interior, painted metallic blue, like his own car at the time, until he re-painted it red. He had another Jo-Han with the 70 interior and he let my brother build it and I was bummed about that, hopefully he'll get me one of these when it comes out ^_^

I fail to see the scale issue. If it's something you like what does scale have to do with it? Display? Really? A fine model is just that. A fine model. This scale thing is something I never got. Absolute sillyness

Bob

spot on I totally agree. I always liked 1/20 scale. most the time not always it seems 1/20 scale models seem to have more detail and just seem crisper to me if that makes sense. The fact the amx is 1/20 doesn't bother me at all

I did build a couple of the Lindberg 1/20th pickup trucks when they came out in the 90's (George Toteff era) and I really liked them. They didn't look out of place alongside 24th/25th stuff on the shelf, my eyes and brain knew they were bigger scale models, not bigger 1:1's. I've also built several 1/20 Formula One cars. Today's model car landscape would be much different if 1/20th had caught on as the mainstream scale. So, yeah I understand the appeal of the scale, I just don't understand Toteff's desire to make it the new mainstream. That's what I meant, my post was a little unclear.

The Lindberg 1/20 kits were really nice. I've got one of the Dodge Stealth kits in my stash, but I built one of them before along with the S-10. The detail was really nice. It seems to me that Lindberg got a really bad name from some kits they made that were from companies they absorbed. When it came down to their own stuff, it was usually top-notch.

I'm not too crazy about the 1/20 scale, either. It means that none of the aftermarket goodies I have for 1/24 or 1/25 models won't work so I'd have to find a new source for everything, like plug wires, battery cables etc etc. And that's not good. But when looking and the pics that Chris posted, I actually got really interested, the chassis is looking actually pretty good and what I can see of the interior, it's not too bad either. Maybe I might pick one of these when they hit the stores, it looks like it's much more authentic than the Jo-Han 1/25 scale kit.

20 to 22 awg size wire for plug wires and 18 to 16 awg for battery cables...see, not so hard. Stainless bare wire of 22awg can be used as fuel and brake lines.

• 4 weeks later...

Joe when I was in your shop last to pick up the 1/16th mustang kit....... I was shocked by all the new product. The larger scale RC's are sooooo tempting.

But one thing caught my eye......It was a crawler.... like a old orange toyota pick up truck..... I wanted it..... it was like $900! WTF! lol!!! Way to much for me. But very soon, I want to get me a nice crawler.

Ah, that was the reissue of the legendary Hilux/Mountaineer, all metal ladder frame, cast metal axles, metal cased 3 speed trans, ABS Toyota pickup body (with a full bed instead of a prototypically correct half rotted away one :P ) Mind blowing little truck, basket case originals at one time were selling for nearly as much as the reissue is and NIB original was going for thousands!

Me too, I hope they include the option to back date it to a '69! That would be awesome.

Sorry to tell you this Glenn, you can go to Round 2s web site and see the instructions. No optional parts to back date it to a '69. I personally like the '69 AMX better than the '70. But back in the day, like most model car kit tools it was updated to the next year, until the real car got a total redesign. Then the tooling would be stuck there for any reissues. Even though I like the '69 better, I'm still glad to see the '70. And plan on buying one.

Scott

• 2 months later...

I had a 1970 AMX back in the mid70's,360 4sp,avocado green.,thing ran great.So 1 day we went to visit some family and one of wife's cousins had the model I use as my profile pic.Was a dark blue,stock,but that changed real quick.Took it all apart,shaved down the door handles,side marker lights and the AMX badges on the sides,blacked out the headlights too.Trimmed the frame down so it could handle some pro-street slicks and threw a custom "tri=blower" engine in with headers and also lowered the rearend.

I've had it 21 years and I don't consider it a car .... ... It's family.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the new one. It looks much the same as the annual, except that the stock wheels (new tooling) are on a separate tree. The custom wheels from the previous issue are still included, though the tires that fit them are not. The custom hood's clear insert is newly tooled, and the racing bucket seats are now molded in styrene (they were flexible plastic in the annual, and were not in the Eighties custom-only issue). The decal sheet has a few added things (license plates) but doesn't have stock striping (shouldn't be tough to do). The slicks and optional parts from the annual kit are all included. If you're into AMC stuff, you'll probably want one of these.