Model Cars Magazine Forum

This morning I weighed myself. Over three years ago I started trying to lose weight and I weighed 476 lbs. I now weigh 378 lbs. Two more to go and I reach the first goal of 100 lbs. So what do I eat tonight...two big helpings of spaghetti...buuuuuurrrrp! I am not on any particular diet, I just walk and eat less than I used to. I walked more when I had a dog, but I have to force myself to go out and walk it off now.

! I am not on any particular diet, I just walk and eat less than I used to. I walked more when I had a dog, but I have to force myself to go out and walk it off now.

Exercise and eating less/better are the best things you can do, but seem to be the hardest for some. Kudos to you for sticking to it and reaching your first goal.

Walking gets easier in WI when it's not 15* outside, too, so spring is just around the corner, which makes getting outside much more enjoyable. :lol:

Congrats Gregg! I know where you're coming from as I once weighed just over 320 lbs as of June '09. Well, after too many nights of acid reflux, knees and ankles hurting constantly, and the big threat of diabetes looming-------I decided to change things drastically.

As of today, I weigh 257 lbs........I went from a size 50 in pants down to a 40 and I stand 6' 3". My goal is to be back to a size 38 where I was when I got out of the military in '92. My knees and ankles no longer hurt, and my blood sugar was checked recently and it was normal. Clothes fit a LOT better, and I don't have to be embarrassed by going outside with just a t-shirt on (if you know what I mean).

Keep up the great work, and if I can give one bit of advice as told to me by an older gentleman at the gym one day................"Getting rid of fat is part of the battle-----Keeping it off is war!" B)

That's right Bill, I can attest to that, you have lost a lot of weight in just a small amount of time and I commend you for that, you looked great the last time I saw you and it was the first thing I noticed. I myself have been losing some excess baggage myself, just got tired of being so fat and lazy. I have played Baseball all my life and once I started getting the extra pounds decided to get away from playing mainly because of my knees.

My goal now is not only to maintain my weight but to also start looking around in the hopes of joining a Senior Baseball League and continue enjoying another one of my favorite pastimes! Here is a picture of me in 2006 when on a visit to Puerto Rico with Bill Geary along my good friend Miguel Barbosa.

P2040111vi-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I was wearing size 40 pants, very tight might I add, my weight was close to 245 and counting. Below is a picture of me a few weeks ago, I am currently at 197 Lbs. and keeping that weight. My pant size now? A very comfortable 34, looking to wear 33 soon! Just decided to eat better and definitely exercise, no magic pill here, just a lot of commitment and sweat. Yes, it's possible but it starts in your head first...

1973PorscheRallyCar7022-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The only regret I have about my beloved hobby is that it's a little too sedentary but we can do something about it, it just takes a little effort. Even if you walk 30 minutes, 3 times a week either on a treadmill or simply outside, will keep you healthier longer, at least this is my advice to all my glue sniffers or non-glue sniffers out there. God bless!!!! :lol:

Wow Cruz, have to commend you on your dedication, last time I saw you in person was about 8 months ago? truly a big difference man! I agree with you completely on the exercise part, we have to really committ ourselves in order to see these kind of results. Like Bill says, the hard part? Maintaining the weight, never an easy task. I myself will be doing something about it, you have inspired me my friend!

Hey I remember that picture! Has it been five years already?? :P

In that photo Cruz, I'm a good 295-300 lbs then! Like you said, it all starts with the mind-------I go to the gym at least four times a week to run the treadmill, or do the elliptical machine. There's also a workout routine I do here at home (bodyweight exercises), as I don't have time to be in the gym more than 30-40 minutes.

Diet is a bigger part than exercise though.............I try to stick to as many 1 ingredient foods as possible! This means no (or very little) prepackaged stuff, no high carbohydrate foods for the most part, and absolutely stay away from anything containing corn, soy, wheat or dairy. I do give myself a "cheat" day which is usually Saturdays when I'll eat just about anything. By Sunday, it's back to normal.

You're looking pretty good there in that pic Cruz, I can definitely see a difference from five years ago! :lol:

Later on, I'll snap an up to date photo of me and post it here. :P

Edit: Actually if you look at my profile pic, that was taken a couple months ago...................a better pic is coming! :rolleyes:

Edited by MrObsessive

Hey I remember that picture! Has it been five years already?? :o

In that photo Cruz, I'm a good 295-300 lbs then! Like you said, it all starts with the mind-------I go to the gym at least four times a week to run the treadmill, or do the elliptical machine. There's also a workout routine I do here at home (bodyweight exercises), as I don't have time to be in the gym more than 30-40 minutes.

Diet is a bigger part than exercise though.............I try to stick to as many 1 ingredient foods as possible! This means no (or very little) prepackaged stuff, no high carbohydrate foods for the most part, and absolutely stay away from anything containing corn, soy, wheat or dairy. I do give myself a "cheat" day which is usually Saturdays when I'll eat just about anything. By Sunday, it's back to normal.

You're looking pretty good there in that pic Cruz, I can definitely see a difference from five years ago! :P

Later on, I'll snap an up to date photo of me and post it here. ;)

Edit: Actually if you look at my profile pic, that was taken a couple months ago...................a better pic is coming! :P

Thanks my friend! You know? That's exactly what I do myself, once a week I will cheat until my heart's content! :rolleyes: You can afford to do that when you sacrifice yourself during the week but, it's all good! I can't wait 'til the summer time, I will be able to be outside more often and do a bigger variety of exercises and not be so cooped up in a gym all the time. Like I said, I want to be able to play Baseball like I used to when I was younger, won't be able to fly like I used to but as long as my knees hold up, it will be all good!

Mainly, what I have done when it comes to eating is keep away from the fast food joints, drink a lot of water and just eat healthier, nothing out of this world. One of the mistakes I was doing previously when starting a diet was going cold turkey, BIG MISTAKE"! Just take your time, eat a little less and healthier each day and when you do cheat, don't worry, you will have a chance to redeem yourself the next day. It's a process but, remember, your body gets used to bad habits just as well as good ones but you have to committ yourself, one day at a time..... :lol:

I don't mean to hijack the thread................but this has been another one of my "obsessions" for the past year or so! :lol:

As promised a couple new pics of me taken just a bit ago........................

P31041562-vi.jpg

P31041572-vi.jpg

P31041602-vi.jpg

Just goes to show that it CAN be done..................and your health will be the better for it. BTW, the shirt I'm wearing is an XL (and it's a little too big now), that's a far cry from the 3XL's I was literally busting out of just a couple years ago! :o

Edited by MrObsessive

Thanks guys. Lots of success it seems with all of you. Good going! When a person weighs as much as I do, the difference is hard to see. At least I feel it when I drive the car as my stomach doesn't touch the steering wheel anymore. I always had that tell tale smudge on my shirts where the wheel rubbed...no longer. It's funny how some of the morons from my old neighborhood have offered me "drugs" to help with my weight loss. Really? Don't do me any favors LOLZ. That's the crowd I no longer associate with, thank God.

Great that ya lost the extra weight, it is tough to relearn good eating habits and

exercise.

That is the one thing I miss about school, I had two gym classes, one was just Gym and the

other was weight lifting.

Scheduled work outs....

I went and bought a bicycle this summer to bike to work, but I'm a fair weather person :lol:

I do own a car for a reason. :P:lol:

I've lost 60lbs but found 10 over the winter :D

But Dang MrObsessive at least I don't have to Duck to get thru a doorway. ;)

P31041562-vi.jpg

But your looking Sharp!!

So what are you?? Judging by the pic, you must be at least over 7ft6" tall?

Edited by Zukiholic

So what are you?? Judging by the pic, you must be at least over 7ft6" tall?

:):lol: These pics I took just last night..........my camera was on a tripod on a desk and it sits rather low-----making me seem taller than I am. :lol:

I'm 6' 3" and as of this morning I weigh 256. I just got in from the gym and they have a very accurate scale there.

You would have been floored by my Great-Grandfather who WAS 7 foot! :o

It's funny how some of the morons from my old neighborhood have offered me "drugs" to help with my weight loss. Really? Don't do me any favors LOLZ. That's the crowd I no longer associate with, thank God.

I'm with you there Gregg! I'm not a big believer in taking drugs or pills to lose weight. A supplement to take such as natural herbs and vitamins is okay with me-------I also don't believe in drinking diet "shakes" and whatnot.

It's best to do it with real, whole food as one can get real tired of drinking shakes after a while. :)

Look, before I get more hateful "KOMMENTS" bout me being a RIGHT WINGER, uh get a couple of Michiael Savage's older books avalible through Amazon on Nutrition. I have seen both and I beleive the man knew then what he espoouses now on his radio show when he aint preachin politics . Now I have a somewhat high heart rate , I have to watch my diet too. I'm also aware of my Emphazemiea and that dosen't help a lot neither . Still, Im very proud of you all for at least taking a self motivated step and trying to do something for you're own health !!!!!!! Hoo Wray!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D Ed Shaver

This is an ironic thread for me. I've been on a diet now for ten days straight and I've lost 13 lbs. I'm 6'6" tall and I got up too 309 lbs. Tired all the time, legs and feet really hurt and the fear of worsening my health finally made me buckle down and do it! I've been on this diet before and It's really not bad! They call it the Mayo Clinic diet, among other names but it's pretty simple. Two eggs, two pieces of bacon for breakfast, and an 8 ounce glass of grapefruit juice. For lunch, I can eat any kind of meat, as much as I want and a salad with any dressing. (Been using Bacon Ranch)and an 8 ounce glass of grapefruit juice. For dinner, again, it's any kind of meat, a salad and also a green vegtable with another 8 ounce glass of grapefruit juice. They recommend 12 days on, two days off. Supposedly I'll lose about 50 lbs in 2-1/2 months! I'm never hungry as you can eat till your full. It actually states that, the more you eat, the more you'll lose!

Edited by Ben

I've really got to take some off..at 6'0" 250 now, was 185 when I was 30 ten years ago. Too much time sitting on my butt in front of a computer (which my profession entails)..maybe get back into mountain biking or hiking. Trying to take 20 min walks around my neighborhood twice a day, walking the dogs.

Me in the mid-90's @ 340lbs.

340Lbs-vi.jpg

Me recently....

John21205-vi.jpg

There's about 130lbs. between the pictures.... It didn't come off overnight, but then again it didn't go on overnight either. I followed basic nutrition guidelines and exercise. Weightwatchers is a good method teach you what & how much to eat. I would set 25lb. goals and as I got closer to my target weight I would drop my goals to 10lb. increments. The more you loose, the harder it gets. But if you stay focused it CAN be done.

But once you do get there, that's when it get's REALLY hard to be good. Can't be "rewarding" yourself with everything you stayed away from. For me my reward was marrying a cute gal whom would have never given me a second look when I was huge. And people DO discriminate against the obese....

scan0007-vi.jpg;)

G,day , you say it was easier to go for a walk when you had the dog and now you gota force yourself ,well if you dont want to get another dog just borrow the neigbours dog ? Soda drinks do put it on ya , i gave up coke and lost weight ! Congrats on the loss .

Wow John! Impressive my friend, a totally different person than that first picture!!! :angry::D

Thanks Marcos. Yeah, it was work, but I feel SO MUCH better now. Plus I quit smoking. I do enjoy a glass of some good single malt scotch once in a while, but that's the extent of bad stuff. I'm convinced I would have died if I didn't do SOMETHING positive. I went from my heaviest of 340lbs. to 199 at one point. My body has settled in at 207 as a comfortable weight. With the spring/summer coming I'll probably drop a few pounds once I get out more often.

I also have a huge puppy that enjoys playing and walking. He's going to be good exercise for us too.

Xmas_10011-vi.jpg

Edited by FASTBACK340

I second what Cruz said John-----------what a difference! I didn't know you back then and I wouldn't have guessed that was you!

I won't be able to come to the NNL next month as I have something else planned for that day. Depending on what's going on, I'd like to get to the Super September Showdown in Gilbertsville.............missed the last one that came along. ;)

Speaking of the NNL, here's a few pics I found of myself from a past NNL East when I was super big. I believe this NNL is from 2003-04 when I was at least 320 lbs+.

DSC01978vi-vi.jpg

Dsc02025vi-vi.jpg

This last one is Cruz and I waiting in line...........you can see the difference in him as well here. :o

DSC01936vi-vi.jpg

It's true what you said about discrimination against the obese........that's the nasty side of human nature. I have to be careful myself not to be judgmental at someone who's obese as I was once there myself.