Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Bel Air Convertible - 1/16 - Junk Car

Model Junkyard

Hi guys,

This is one of my favorite projects. I already started it a while ago but for some reasons I just froze the model. This weekend I had finally time to continue with my Chevy project. We were working on our website the last weeks. It was a lot of work but it looks great now.

Here you have some pictures:

57_chevy_-_body2.jpg

57_chevy_-_engine2.jpg

Pay attention, the window of the right door works. It goes up and down.

I still have to build that door again as it is not as good as the left door.

57_chevy_-_doors2.jpg

57_chevy_-_front.jpg

Trunk with rust holes:

57_chevy_-_trunk.jpg

Here you see the front seat. The original seat is made out of two pieces (20 & 21). An awful thing for this huge scale.

57_chevy_-_seats1.jpg

So I glued the two pieces together and cut them again in the real parts as it should be.

57_chevy_-_seats2.jpg

And here you see the finshed job:

57_chevy_-_seats3.jpg

57_chevy_-_seats4.jpg

Now it looks and it works like real!

:lol::blink: :blink: :blink: WOW!!! This is very interesting project, that work on the engine is outstanding! That cylinder head looks like 1:1. And engine block looks 1:1 too even without those super autentic looking cylinder heads, exellent job with them. Working windows: :blink:, awesome! But that seat, it it just at the same position than '60 Impala's so it's very good! Only thing I can ask is: How is that possible?!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys!

I'm sorry for the long absence. Summer, trips, lots of work, etc. I just couldn't continue with my Chevy.

Also, I decided to build the gas pump that will be accompanying my Chevy in the diorama.

So here you see a Tokheim 39 gas pump (my favorite of all times) 100% scratch build.

It's not 100% ready yet. I painted all parts and put it with tape together just for the pictures.

As the Chevy is going to be a junk car, the gas pump at his side should be a junk gas pump too.

I still have to make the weathering and rust effects on it.

57_chevy_-_gas_pump.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!! Obsess much? LOL. Just jokin, the detail work you are putting into this one is a whole other level. I have no idea how you would go about making the windows roll up and down that sort of thing blows me away. This is one build I will definately be looking forward to more updates of!!! Great workmanship, thanks for sharing.

Thank you guy for the positive feedback!

@David G.: Yes, that putty is going to be dirt!

@Railfreak78:The engine will be "incomplete", typical for a junkyard car, so you'll be able to see all details when finished.

I'm working on a new firewall now. More picture coming soon!

I invite you all to have a look at this calendar for 2011 that my brother and I finished a few days ago using pictures of our scale models.

I hope you like it!

Edited by Model Junkyard

@jantrix: yeah! I can imagine!

Well, let's continue with the Chevy.

Here you see the original firewall and a picture of a real firewall printed on scale.

The difference is so huge I decided to make it completely new... while doing that I actually realized that I had to make the whole engine compartment new.

So here you have pictures of the firewall. I'll post pictures of the complete engine compartment as soon as it's ready.

Before:

57_chevy_-_firewall1.jpg

After:

57_chevy_-_firewall2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...