Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Ford Torino E/Stock Eliminator

W-409

Thanks Guys! That Fuel Tank presents Jazz Fuel Cell, and 1:1 part looks like that. So I don't see a reason to re-do it ;) .

Ignition wires are attached now, and they turned out OK. Next I have to work on the carburetor and water pump area, to make some more progress on the engine. The chassis looks like it could be primered after a bit of sanding...

P5120001.jpg

P5120002.jpg

P5120003.jpg

Sometimes I am a day late and a dollar short. I just read this thread and saw mention of Cragar Super tricks. The Monogram 66 Chevelle (the black one) released in the late 70s has the most awesome set of good looking Cragar Super Tricks. That goofy looking Camaro that was released at the same time has Motor Wheel Flywheels on the front!! There were two versions of each kit released with different wheels in each one so you have to look to find the right one. They are not real desirable kits so they are still cheap. The Red Chevelle I think had Cragar S/S on it. Also, the Chevelle came with an excellent Dana 60 rear end and a nice period correct tunnel ram intake manifold and hood scoop. Those Chevelles and Camaros, as odd as they were are excellent parts kits.

It's true, this Chevelle kit has amazing parts, and especially that engine with its parts, is very nice. Even if it's not maybe the top quality, but it's good sized (not too small) and many other kits had same engine basis too, so parts are not hard to find. I've built this kit too many, many years ago and I can say that it was very fun and enjoyable build.

Monogram22291966Malibured-vi.jpg

What Camaro kit you mean? This one?

4061405525_78966ecf2e.jpg

Or This?

sa8367532413-ge.jpg

Not a big update, but little more work has been done again. I primered the chassis to see, how much putty it still needs. It's bit rough, and needs more work before I can paint it. Also glued the carburetor on the engine, it's Rochester since these Ford Big Blocks had Rochesters originally. It's from '57 Black Widow, may not be 100% correct, but much better than Holley.

P5120008.jpg

P5120009.jpg

P5120015.jpg

Some Fords had the Rochester Quadra-Jet, so no, the 57 carb is era incorrect as the Q-jet came on the scene in 1965. Snag one from the Rev. 72 Olds kits and bring the fuel line into the right side of the inlet. Buick, Pont, Olds Q-jets came straight in at the front.

Edited by Alan

Adding to what You have said, Way up to 68 or 69 model darts the lug nuts on the passengers side screwed turning to the left instead of the regular screw on turning to the right. Wow, If I remember that I must be old, right?? :D

Mopars had bolts that turned different directions on the wheel studs of the passenger side at least through the 1969 model year, and if I recall correctly, they did not change to clockwise tightening on all sides until the 1971 model year.

And I agree, those Cragar S/S in the '65 El Camino, Chevelle Wagon, and '65 Grand Prix and (I believe, without checking) '65 Galaxie 500 AMT kits were as nice as any I've ever seen.

Good luck with your project...TIM

Thanks Everyone :D !

Alan: Thanks for the information. I spent some time with book "How To Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajets", and it looks like that '57 Carburetor (is it 4Jet?) is close enough to Quadrajet. The difference is not so dramatical in this scale. I have to fill that hole on the front of that carburetor, and make a new one to the right side, where the fuel line will be connected. So '72 Olds kit has Rochester carb too... It's a shame that I can't find them from Finland and new kit costs alot. So I will be using that one, with little modifications I try to make it more accurate.

Darryl: I'm trying to build this as nicely as the Nova. Then it's nice to have two Stock Eliminator cars next to each other B) .

Niko, was unaware of your limited availability of kits and parts ... so in your case I guess you have to use what you can and be creative.

Alan :)

Check in the "under glass" forum, there are several photo of 72 Olds engine shots that show the Q-jet in that kit.

Edited by Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the carburetor from that Oldsmobile kit looks great. I have to find one. :)

Little update. I've been working with '69 Camaro for Gumball Rally CBP, and I've had some other things to do as well, but now I managed to do some more work for the chassis. Tomorrow my plan is to sand it smooth and look if it needs still some bondo...

P5260295.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Steve, here's a little update.

I scratchbuilt Electric Water Pump, which is made from square styrene tubing and little piece of round styrene tubing. I'm pretty happy about the result. Well, could be better of course but good enough for me. ;)

P7250213.jpg

Interior work... The floor part needed some work, I had to remove the locators for rear seat. After little putty, I primered the floor, and painted flat black. I also painted the dashboard, door panels and seats are white. I wanted to make white interior, because black is seen so often, and I actually like white Interior on Blue car (Yep, this'll be Blue). Also modified the roll cage, now it's the same as NHRA minimum reguirement. It's bit rough still, but after I sand that putty smooth and cover it with paint, it'll look good.

Tomorrow I'm planning to move on Interior details, this is just a Mock Up.

P8020261.jpg

P8020262.jpg

Little Chassis work too:

P8020264.jpg

P8020267.jpg

P8020269.jpg

Here's some more work. I painted the Roll Cage silver, and added some Roll Bar Padding, it's made from Tamiya Masking Tape. I built seat belts too, Simpson Logos are still missing, but I'm trying to install them tomorrow. I had to cut a hole to the seat, for one belt. I wanted to replicate Wrap Around belts, not Bolt On type. Those are installed just like real WrapAround seat belts. Not easy to do, but I'm quite happy about the result.

Also glued the Door panels, which have decals and details painted now, also panel lines are black, but they didn't turn out as good as I wanted. Dashboard decals are on too, and Door Panels & Dashboard are glued on their place. I have to add Tachometer, and Switch Panel yet.

P8040191.jpg

P8040193.jpg

P8040201.jpg

P8040202.jpg

P8040204.jpg

P8040206.jpg

P8040207.jpg

I scratchbuilt Electric Switch Panel. The Basis is styrene, where I drilled holes for the switches, and they are made from solder. I have to say that it looks terrible in the pictures. It's better in live, and small too.

P8060372.jpg

P8060373.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Brett! And I do agree, the interior is one of my best ones so far. Of course it's not done yet, but I hope it will be soon.

I started building the throttle linkage for that carburetor. I made some parts from sheet aluminium and somekind of metal wire. I don't know if I have to redo it, let's see when I try to add more parts for that one. I also moved the hole for fuel line to right place. I will covered the old one with styrene tubing, I have to cover it with BMF later, so it will be same shade as the whole carburetor is.

PA160484_zps25ba7e2c.jpg

PA160486_zpsf97a0fe2.jpg

Thanx, Darryl, Terry and Bruno! :) Comments are really appreciated.

I got the throttle linkage almost done. Little cleaning and other minimal things need to be done, but otherwise it's pretty much there. It looks better than I thought, so I guess it will stay there too. Now I'm going to move to the other side of that carburetor, to work with the fuel line.

I also installed the tachometer. It's found from my parts box, and I scratchbuilt the shift light from plastic tubing. I wired it just like 1:1 tachometer is wired, just need to add the cauge decal for it and call it done. Interior needs some touchups and little details before it's done.

PA180527_zpscdd1536e.jpg

PA180525_zps26133ae8.jpg

PA180519_zps5a37e871.jpg

PA180520_zps7ca0754e.jpg