Model Cars Magazine Forum

Solvaset - Where to order from

different brands work better on some decals vs others ,I wouldn't say any is "better".they are all usefull and it doesnt hurt to have more than one brand

solvaset used to be quite strong ( it was formulated in the "olden days" when decals were thick and tough) ,recently, they changed the formula from strong to tame. more in line with todays thinner and much better decals.

Champs was another brand from the old days that was really strong.no longer available

microscale products seem to be the most effective over the broadest range of decals.

If you want a strong formula that will melt any decal into submission (too strong in some cases) try ,Daco products Decal setting-strong formula

Edited by scalenut

Solvaset is a Walthers brand, and was probably the first decal setting solution ever sold--it dates back to at least the late 1950's, when Walthers was just about the very first company to make decals for model railroading use. Given the fairly thick, letter-press decals (and later, early silk-screen printed decals) that Walthers offered, Solvaset could be fairly strong. But what was/is Solvaset anyway? Back 30-50 years ago, it was isopropyl alcohol, although I don't know how concentrated (% of alcohol) it has ever been.

Believe it or not, I've applied hundreds of decals on models since the early 1960's, and found early on that good old rubbing alcohol (or even aftershave lotion in a pinch!) did a great job of softening decals to get them to "settle down" over compound curves and fine raised details. Common rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl and 30% distilled water. I've traditionally used Kleenex or other facial tissues moistened with water to press and work decals into place after applying just a bit of rubbing alcohol to them. Note however, that some aftermarket brands of decals, such as Microscale or Cartograf are printed on a very thin clear film background, so greater care is necessary (and often, those two brands of decals, along with my experience with Tamiya, Hasegawa and Fujimi kit decals have not required much if any setting solution to get laid down cleanly) due to their rather delicate nature.

Virtually every modeler has, or will acquire, his/her own preferred method and material--this system and technique has worked perfectly for me for a lot of years though.

Art

Vote for Solvaset here.

To add to Art's good post..........

Walter's was the first to offer decal setting fluid. They were also one of the very first decal manufactures for the hobby industry. Walther's has been in business since 1932 and has always served the hobby field with major support of model railroading. They started their decal business in the late 1930's! So they have some experience with decals and in fact it's how I learned to apply decals from the instructions in their decal catalog. (they had so many decals it had it's own catalog)

Sadly today Walthers no longer has a decal catalog and only has what's left of NOS. But using the method they taught me back in the 1960's I stick with what works.

More decal history than you ever wanted.....

PS....you can mail order it direct or most hobby shops with trains carry it.