Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Chips For Your Bottle Paint Containers

VW93

I usually have a problem with the difference in shades of colors even after the paint has been stirred. I decided to make my own paint chips with what I had on hand.

I had an extra slat from some vinyl venetian blinds and I gave it a quick spray with white primer.

I then cut pieces to fit the tops of Model Master bottles and keep them in a small container.

When I use a color I paint one of the chips that I have taped to a popsicle stick. After it has dried I superglue it to the lid of the bottle.

I know it's hard to see in the picture, but now I can see the subtle difference between colors such as Model Masters "Steel" and their "Jet Exhaust" and other colors.

post-12704-0-29920100-1408470949_thumb.j

post-12704-0-41137200-1408470960_thumb.j

I hadn't thought about doing paint chips. That's a great idea.

I haven't started doing a lot of mixing colors yet, so my system is a little different. I bought some 1 inch round labels(Avery 5408) and type the color on it, then stick it on the cap. Then I print the month and year and stick it on the bottom. I also make the background Gray for Metallizers and Green for Acrylics.

post-8691-0-68941800-1408943339_thumb.jp