Model Cars Magazine Forum

flea market find (update) all done now in "under glass"

stulee11

Cut, bend, twist, grind ,sand, prime, sand, fill more, sand, prime, paint. Darn it. Strip, sand, prime, paint, etc. Fun aint it?

oooohhhh my its fun lol, i dont mind body work as i am a trained car body work tech so its all cool for me lol

Looks like trapped moisture. How on plastic I am unsure, unless it is slightly porous. One or two of the spots look like 'dirt', but the rest look like water trapped. Are you using a spray can or airbrush?

i am using spray cans .

You have stripped the paint all the way back down to clean plastic and it still does it when you spray? Have you, once stripped, wiped the door down with alcohol and let it thoroughly dry? Warm the can and shoot again? And it only does it on this part?

Just trying to eliminate some possibilities here.

If yes to all of these questions, I would think that something is contaminating the plastic that even alcohol is having a hard time with. It would be a shame for this one part to stop a build dead.

You have stripped the paint all the way back down to clean plastic and it still does it when you spray? Have you, once stripped, wiped the door down with alcohol and let it thoroughly dry? Warm the can and shoot again? And it only does it on this part?

Just trying to eliminate some possibilities here.

If yes to all of these questions, I would think that something is contaminating the plastic that even alcohol is having a hard time with. It would be a shame for this one part to stop a build dead.

see the paint i have used on another car not so long ago... i havent sript it all the way back because i dont know how to well i dont know wha to use to get the paint off as its automotive paint... but the primer goes down without a hitch

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner (Yellow can) usually works pretty well on most types of paint. If the primer lays down well, with no issues, but just this door is having the issue with the color coat, I am really out of possibilities. Unless, for some reason, the primer masks the problem and is compatible with whatever is contaminating the door. Until you lay the color coat on, it is fine. Once the color (of a different manufacturer than the primer?) lays down, then the incompatibility/contamination shows. This is only a guess. I would still take it down to bare plastic and thoroughly clean it before applying either primer or color again.

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner (Yellow can) usually works pretty well on most types of paint. If the primer lays down well, with no issues, but just this door is having the issue with the color coat, I am really out of possibilities. Unless, for some reason, the primer masks the problem and is compatible with whatever is contaminating the door. Until you lay the color coat on, it is fine. Once the color (of a different manufacturer than the primer?) lays down, then the incompatibility/contamination shows. This is only a guess. I would still take it down to bare plastic and thoroughly clean it before applying either primer or color again.

will that oven cleaner take the super glue and the filler off as well ????...and the primer / paint combo is the same i have used for years with no problems till now lol

Edited by stulee11

hi all thanks for the help with the paint... i still haven't sorted it out yet i am just waiting to get some oven cleaner and try to start the doors over again... but on the plus side i got alot done on her while waiting ... wheels have been painted... i added a roof scoop to the car... chassis is done... ride hight is set...engine done...interior done... so all in all i am just waiting on the body then she can be all wrapped up lol .

wheels

29012012597.jpg

roof scoop

29012012598.jpg

chassis

29012012602.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi there... small update but without a doubt MOST important lol ... shes got het paint on. i dont know how i did it but i sorted out the problem i was having so its all go from here lol

let me know what ya all think

08022012628.jpg08022012630.jpg08022012631.jpg

sorry for the bad pics... but you can get the idea lol

thanks for looking in on her

stu