Model Cars Magazine Forum

When I went to Revell last friday, I got home with some of the Renault Magnum parts, I don't know how I got to it, but got me somewhere along the line of thinking a long nosed version. I had some time over last night, after working on the Trabant and made a dry-fit of my thoughts. It is clear that the cabin is too far back, but it has some nice lines to it and I think it might going to work out.

rmt01.jpg

rmt02.jpg

rmt03.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

141 views and not a single reply, something tells me that the Magnum isn't yours favourite ;-)

I've finished the Trabant and got myself another Renault Magnum build kit, an older version, but that is ok. A fellow modeller offered me the kit, since I have literally no truck parts, as this is my first truck I am going to build (besides the Krupp, but that was a review).

I had some more thoughts on the 'Torpille', The nose is too long, as pictured above, so I studied the Scania Torpedo and tried to use those lines somewhat.

I also decided to make a different back end, and it will have a modern racehauler look to it.

A bit like this:

rmt000.jpg

This is how the Magnum originally should look like

rmt003.jpg

And somewhat of a crude rendering of what it is going to be

rmt006.jpg

In this rendering, I extended the nose, a bit too mucht, but to get the idea (don't pay attention to the headlights)

rmt009.jpg

And the work starts....

rmt012.jpg

Don't fret, Man....This is one of those projects that will take a little for the guys to come around....It does look a little odd, for a Renault, but I do like your first rendering with the shorter hood version.....That looks awesome.....I can't wait to see what else you do to accomplish this build....

And that race rig looks pretty nice, too....I really like those things.....

Edited by kilrathy10

141 views and not a single reply, something tells me that the Magnum isn't yours favourite ;-)

Large Renault trucks are totally foreign to North American truck modelers. A few medium duty Renault trucks badged as Macks did make it over to North America.

And in particularly on this board, if a truck is not associated to some sort of race car, racing theme or an antique truck, it won't get that much of a response.

Further more most American truck modelers just don't like non American truck subjects.

I am interested in truck subjects from all over the world. Your model is very inventive.

I like Renault Magnum very much and I am sorry its production has been cancled. It was a blast when it first showed up with its unusual cab design.But making it a bonneted version....? I tell you straight, it gives me the creeps.

I like conventional trucks more than cabovers but making conventionals using COE cabs is not my cup of tea. Bonneted Scanias look pretty good, DAFs are just awful and Magnum with a hood....? Not for me, I am sorry.

On the other hand it´s pretty challenging and I wish you nothing but the best of luck with this build. Might look interesting after all.

Thanks guys for the comments! I am really not into the viewer statistics, but I thought it was a bit remarkable :) And I know for sure, that this project is what a lot of truck modelers would disgust. But hey, it is my pile of styrene :).

I think, with what is in my head, I can make something nice out of it. I just have to consider things along the way. I have a nice thought for the hood and probably will seal the look.

I've worked today a bit more on the frame, when I had it next to the mockup, it seemed a bit short on the back end, and the rear wheel would be too far forward.
So I cut the frame again and lengthened it with 6cm. That makes a total of 10cm or 4 inches of length extra.

Working on a truck is so much different than working with on a car. When I want to customize a car, I have to finish the body before I can do the rest, with a truck I need to finish the frame and everything else, before I can customize the cabin :)

rmt040.jpg

Next to the mockup with the extra section
rmt041.jpg

And enough clearance to the back
rmt042.jpg

rmt043.jpg

rmt044.jpg

Erik, I am just starting to appreciate the looks of some of the 'Euro' trucks, and I am probably counted as a few of the 141 views early on. upon looking at this again, I can see where you are going with it, and I like it. granted, the overall look is foreign to me, but it is starting to grow on me :) . looking forward to more updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom! I know I am trying to make something out of a already weird truck, but I am so convinced I can pull it off. Maybe I am just overestimating myself...

Progress is going slow, there is a lot to do around the house and so my attention isn't at modelbuilding much (again). But from time to time, I manage to find a lost hour and work a bit on the Renault.

I have never built a truck before, so I don't know what the usual route is to build a truck, therefore I am mostly guessing on how to tackle a custom truck.
My plan is to finish the chassis and start from there to build the cabin and when the cabin is on, I want to start working on making a hood.

I am also starting on sanding and finishing the sidepanels, this will give me a better indication later on.
rmt045.jpg

working on the chassis, also means working on the engine. To my suprise, this Renault holds a American V8, actually, it is perfect for this build.
rmt051.jpg

rmt052.jpg

rmt053.jpg

Most of the rear-suspension is refurbished and placed on the chassis again.
rmt054.jpg

Seen from the underside.
rmt055.jpg

And completely painted in a light grey (for now, the chassis will end up gloss black)
rmt056.jpg

It is new to me, to spray everything in the same color. But I think I will try a wash on it, when it has its final color.
rmt057.jpg

And a combined view with the cabin. I think I have the dimensions correct...
rmt058.jpg

Yes, appearantly so. I was quite amazed by that actually. I do not know much about trucks, but do know that V8's in European trucks are special. So when I was digging for info about the motor, I noted it was a V8, which I thought was peculiar. And after some searching, it appears that the Magnum was available with a Mack V8.

Which actually suits this model just perfect.

I didn't know that :) something learned today ;-)

I've been able to work a tiny bit again, progress is slow, as everything has to be measured and made to fit. So it is basically one part at a time and hope it will work later on.

When dryfitting the engine, I noticed the Renault has a mid-engine as it is between the front and back axle. Where a Scania has the engine before the axle. As a result, the engine is still underneath the cabin.
I had to think about it for a bit, as I could go curbside and leave it as is. But where is the fun in that? :)
So I went on and go the extra mile, the engine is going to be placed in front of the front axle and the rest will be adjusted according so.

First, I started with cutting off the oilpan and reversed it.
rmt059.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the old situation
rmt060.jpg

rmt061.jpg

rmt062.jpg

And the new situation
rmt063.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing this project is changing my feelings toward Euro trucks. I'm assuming cabovers are very popular because of road constraints.

This is a very interesting subject that I'm looking forward to following. Excellent work so far... :)