Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Chevelle SS Pro Mod WIP (Updated 3.26.14)

hOLMS

Brett, Richard and Michael....For the bezels, I had an extra bumper/headlight section. I cut the h/lights out of the extra one, then ground from the back until they were about 1mm thk. I ground them just enough for the actual h/light to no longer be present and that's when they became 4 seperate bezels. I then marked which came from where (LL,LR,RR,RL) and ground flat spots where they meet individually. I glued them on a flat surface with a gage block across bottom to keep them straight (wish I would have scaled them down a bit, may still do that?). Lastly, I reworked the inside of the body where they fit nice and snug, lowered them to sit on the bumper and basically eyeballed the placement. I did all this because they were not following the lower lines I needed in the front. I could not use what was there because all that had to be ground away first, could not work that area with saw.

Yes, that is a big cutout in the hood. A 2500 hp monster needs a nice, big home....right? LOL. No really, that cutout is a little mis-leading. That will actually be a raised taper area 1/16" tall at the highest point (where it will meet the lexan). Thanks for looking guys!

I have to agree 100% with Brett, hate you now :D, also would not mind knowing how you did the headlight area, have 2 pro-mods I'm getting ready to put together, going to work on both back & forth, getting all the engine work done for project#1, then I'll start doing the engine for project#2, #2 is going to need bodywork pretty much like your Chevelle (narrowing the front, rounding down the front fenders & such), so I am planning on using some of your techniques on it, so I will be watching you! :lol:

Hey Richard, i meant to ask....u gonna post these 2 builds? anxious to see their progress!! Good luck with your P/M bodywork!

Thanks Jeff, thats awesome of you to share. As for the narrower, longer, lower and bullet shape, I personally feel

thats where pro mod is starting to lose its appeal. They're going the way of the funnycar, a unrecognizable wedge with a blob on top. Not a critique of your build at all, you have thus far at least, got the perfect blend of streamlining and identity of what it was/is. Anywho keep at it and thanks again for sharing your techniques with us.

That front end is looking amazing. You are doing one heck of a job. You can tell that all of the hard work that you are putting into this body work is going to pay off and give you the resuls you are looking for. Keep up the great progress on this build. I can't wait to see more. I love how the air ###### looks that you have added. Its spot on. and like Brett said Thank You for sharing with us.

Hey Richard, i meant to ask....u gonna post these 2 builds? anxious to see their progress!! Good luck with your P/M bodywork!

Jeff, I'm gonna try, I was "posting" pictures of a P/M Nova on the SA forum,but was having a hard time getting them right, I have put the Nova on break while I work on these 2 (stealing parts for the Nova to do these cars), right now I have the engine (Ross Gibson RoadHammer Hemi)semi painted, I have to make the fuel distribution block for the manifold & the blower restraint bracket then paint them, then I'm planning on taking pictures of the engine as it sits (all the pieces sitting seperate), the TEM 3-speed transmission before & after painting, then as they get put together. I'll be doing the body work that is needed to both bodies, take pictures, but I'm planning on keeping the body styles a "secret" for now. I will give a hint to the body types tho, I'll give the "names" for the cars, any guesses will be welcome. Project #1 P/X: "Angela" & Project #2 P/N: "the Judge", hopefully in a few days I'll try & post the engine & tranny for "Angela". Can't wait to see your build as she moves along!

Thanks Jeff, thats awesome of you to share. As for the narrower, longer, lower and bullet shape, I personally feel

thats where pro mod is starting to lose its appeal. They're going the way of the funnycar, a unrecognizable wedge with a blob on top. Not a critique of your build at all, you have thus far at least, got the perfect blend of streamlining and identity of what it was/is. Anywho keep at it and thanks again for sharing your techniques with us.

I'm with you.....Leave the extreme aero to the funny cars, I'm only thinking a very small amount more for this nose, probably not even enough to tell. I prefer building cars without an identity crisis but still have their own style, flare, aero, etc.....and that for me is Pro Mod. They are awesome. Seeing them in person is absolutely amazing....2500/3000hp in a 115" w/b...crazy!! Anywho, I may get a chance to see them this weekend @ the four-wide race in Charlotte, NC. Not sure if they are running (they did last year). If not, my next fav is pro-stock. I think a pro-stock will be my next build, its all I can do not to start another build though....lol. Thanks for the comments and glad you are liking this build! (ps....I may be wrong and sorry if so, have you posted any in awhile, what u working on?)

I'm with you.....Leave the extreme aero to the funny cars, I'm only thinking a very small amount more for this nose, probably not even enough to tell. I prefer building cars without an identity crisis but still have their own style, flare, aero, etc.....and that for me is Pro Mod. They are awesome. Seeing them in person is absolutely amazing....2500/3000hp in a 115" w/b...crazy!! Anywho, I may get a chance to see them this weekend @ the four-wide race in Charlotte, NC. Not sure if they are running (they did last year). If not, my next fav is pro-stock. I think a pro-stock will be my next build, its all I can do not to start another build though....lol. Thanks for the comments and glad you are liking this build! (ps....I may be wrong and sorry if so, have you posted any in awhile, what u working on?)

Jeff, I checked my TV schedule for the NHRA Pro-Mod races (I record the P/M races on my DVD player/recorder for ideas/reference), & they are not running at Charlotte this weekend, their next race is at Houston at the end of the month.

Thanks for the comments guys....means a lot to me!

(Richard, checked out your Nova on the other site....cool! You'll finish one day??)

(Went to 4-wide Q3 & Q4 Saturday......just incredible, incredible!!!!! The "Sarge" did 326mph in 1000ft, amazing. John Force and Jason Line were quick...can't wait for P/M in Houston!)

I've been able to get some work done other than the front area this week.....been holding out a while now to do so. I did spend a little while bringing the bullet shape in a bit more, mostly the area over top of headlights again. I also worked on the first phase of the hood scoop, pretty minor so far though, may turn into somekind of dual teardrop shape...not sure. I then moved on to filling/smoothing front fenderwells. I've also started what will soon be the tapered flares/spoilers running along the bottom of the sides. From there, I've started some of the rear fender work (fenderwells and some work behind rear wheel). I've cut out the old rear bumper....that one is history, and hope to start a scratchbilt bumper toworrow, nothing that strays to far from stock other than longer horizontally and vertically. Once I have the rear bumper made, I can then start to finish up the rear fender shapes. Thanks for looking!

DCP_4023.jpg

DCP_4018.jpg

DCP_4017.jpg

DCP_4015.jpg

41611b4curr2.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys....means a lot to me!

(Richard, checked out your Nova on the other site....cool! You'll finish one day??)

(Went to 4-wide Q3 & Q4 Saturday......just incredible, incredible!!!!! The "Sarge" did 326mph in 1000ft, amazing. John Force and Jason Line were quick...can't wait for P/M in Houston!)

I've been able to get some work done other than the front area this week.....been holding out a while now to do so. I did spend a little while bringing the bullet shape in a bit more, mostly the area over top of headlights again. I also worked on the first phase of the hood scoop, pretty minor so far though, may turn into somekind of dual teardrop shape...not sure. I then moved on to filling/smoothing front fenderwells. I've also started what will soon be the tapered flares/spoilers running along the bottom of the sides. From there, I've started some of the rear fender work (fenderwells and some work behind rear wheel). I've cut out the old rear bumper....that one is history, and hope to start a scratchbilt bumper toworrow, nothing that strays to far from stock other than longer horizontally and vertically. Once I have the rear bumper made, I can then start to finish up the rear fender shapes. Thanks for looking!

DCP_4023.jpg

Jeff, I have every intension of finishing the Nova, it's Project #3 right now, I will be doing some work on it every now & then, the engine for it is going into Project #2, I have a great paint job in store for it when it's time. Now on to your build, Love it!, the Chevelle is looking better every time I see it, I will continue to look in as long as you keep posting!

DCP_4018.jpg

DCP_4017.jpg

DCP_4015.jpg

41611b4curr2.jpg

Hi all, Been able to do couple more mods, couple new pix. I've got my tapered side skirting in place, filled the rear fender lips and trimmed a bit on the rear fender behind the rear wheel, still have this to do on the other side (any of you ever have a favorite side you prefer on your project? Left side for this one, Maybe it's just me...lol). I've also changed the hood scoop in favor of a rounded, raised bullet style. I still hope to make the rear bumper this week.

Sooner than later, I would like to start modifying the firebird pro stock chassis, probably several more weeks though. Thanks for the comments and looking.

DCP_4030.jpg

DCP_4029.jpg

DCP_4028.jpg

DCP_4027.jpg

DCP_4026.jpg

DCP_4024.jpg

Let's see where do I start, first of all your body work is top notch, that's one of the things I hate about modeling, but you have got it down to a science, not just this build, but the vette also. Watching this build from what it started out as, to where it is now is AWESOME, you body looks just as good, if not better than the flashpoint body, very very nice work, what are you gonna use for the engine in the beast??? And I have to agree with you guys, I always have a side on my builds also that turns out better than the other side, dont know why, and thought I was the only one, guess not any way SUPERB job so far cant wait for updates.... ;)

Edited by tyrone

Thanks for the comment guys....really can't say enough how much I appreciate you guys looking and the positive reaction from this body experiment!!

Well, been a semi-productive week so far, been on the rear of the car quite a bit. I have not met my goal of a bumper yet and there is a major reason why. We've undergone some surgery this week, I'm pleased with the results so I thought I would share with you the problem and my remedies to fix. I sorta knew there was a slight height issue in the rear of the car for some time now. Hoping and wishing it would go away didn't fix it. So, into the surgery room under the scalpel we go. I've included pix with desc's of what I've done. I picked up the problem while measuring corresponding surfaces left to right with a drop gauge, body and gauge on flat surfaces. I marked points on both sides in same locations and started measuring, anything over .010 out was addressed. All was well in the front, but picked up a problem starting on the right rear of the roof which directly showed up also at the height of rear tail lights, only magnified. That section of the roof was low by 1mm and the right rear tail light was low by almost twice. I've never fixed a problem like this, that being said, my method is not concrete...just the way I went about solving. I've spent to much time trying to make this Chevelle great and I feel this was a no-brainer...had to be done and glad I did so. Anywho, maybe you guys have run across a problem like this before and had success with the fix, don't know? Anytime I've ever seen a problem like this, I always throw it into the wall and say, done with that....lol. I'm rambling...one other thing, I had to be careful and try to pick where my cuts needed to be as to not screw something else up that could have been un-fixable. Just try to think about what will need to be done in later steps and determine if that's feasible. Thanks for looking and this time I've learned some things!!

DCP_4052.jpg

DCP_4033_EXP.jpg

DCP_4045_EXP.jpg

DCP_4046_EXP.jpg

DCP_4047_EXP.jpg