Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

Here is a progress shot of how the center frame section fits in the pan. Though the rail section may not be placed quite where it will be when finished, you can see how the rear, main crossmember intersects with the guides/uprights that will mount my photo etch 4-link frame brackets.

pan_underside_partial_ctr_frame_angle.jpg

I get a kick out of seeing new build mockup shots to see how they set, so here’s my requisite mockup. I’m still undecided about tires and wheels, but for the sake of having some type of rolling stock, here are Monogram Pro Stars from the ’87 Glidden T-Bird. I’m debating between them and some custom-made 15” Cragar SuperTricks with true-to-scale 14x32s. I’m sure I’ll post pics of those at some point in the future.

Not quite head-on…

Fairmont_cowl_hood_mockups008.jpg

Lower side shot.

Fairmont_cowl_hood_mockups001.jpg

Hey Tyrone – thanks buddy. I think it sets pretty nicely…

Thanks Joe – it could easily pass for a pro streeter if there’s room under there for mufflers. LOL

Al – I’ll keep plugging away at it.

Thanks Jason! Appreciate it… J

Hey Chris – thanks for kind words, bro.

Thank you for the reminder, Mike. It’s real easy for me to let this get more serious than it deserves…

Hi Leonard – thank you for the compliment. I PM’d you about how to get in touch.

James – thanks for the compliment. I like your sig a bunch. Character is all-important!

Thanks Ray. I’m tryin’…

Wayne – I appreciate it. Got more pics I can post. Just hope I can keep up the momentum… LOL

Thanks Shane. The Lord gave me a lot patience to work through this project – and I have to give Ed Fluck credit for the casting work. He’s a great guy and does excellent work.

Fred - thanks for your kindness and support. Sorry for being late posting something. Been busy with life and trying to get some bench time to make some progress on this...

Thanks Darryl. I'm planning to get another pic update, here shortly, but wanted to let you know I appreciate your comment.

Hey Dave - Some new stuff will be coming shortly!

I was able to make some progress on the X-members for the central frame rail section this week. Got them finished mid-week. Wasted some styrene before I got the fit I was looking for, for the full-length diagonal. Thanks to Chris, I've learned that it's better to keep doing it until you're happy with it rather than settle...

X-member_layout.jpg

As you can see above, I used masking tape to make sure I the pieced diagonals are straight. Sighting across them, I think it worked! LOL

X-member_finished.jpg

The main lower control arm is .050 stainless tubing with RB Motion 1504 rod end and nut where it will attach to the chassis bracket. .8MM brass nut, bolt and washers are from Scale Hardware. Lower strut mount is .100" styrene rod, drilled to accept the stainless tubing and provide a receiver for the lower strut mount. I cut tiny pieces of .080 brass to serve as spacers between the photo etch A-arm mounting tabs. The tabs slide over the .062 tubing and positively locate them. The width of the tabs matches (more or less) with the .080 OD of the rails. I'll have to do a tiny bit of gap filling, but it shouldn't be much.

lower_main_strut_arm.jpg

The front frame rails are constructed out of .063 brass tubing telescoped inside .080 brass. I tried to use a file to gnurl the .063 to make the fit a bit tighter. You can see where the scuffed area is.

frame_rail_closeup.jpg

Hopefully I'll get another update posted before the end of the weekend...

Comments welcome!

Thanks Joe - it's getting tougher and tougher to work in this scale. My eyes and fingers don't always cooperate! LOL

Hey Ben - Yeah, getting those roller rockers adjusted is a pain because I can't find a feeler gauge that is thin enough... :)

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. I'm going to be doing several things on this that I've never done before and I'm sure you and others will be called upon to (hopefully) get some of the details right.

Scott, just found your build and looks like a GREAT start. Ill keep checking in time to time.

By the way I have the first coats of paint on mine and should have it done in the next couple weeks.

Everybody the casting on this car is the BEST I have ever seen. Thank you Scott. Good luck and waiting

for the next update.

Clay :):wub: