Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Camaro Concept Car

Tom Geiger

IMG_2529Copy-vi.jpg

My club recently did a same kit contest with this kit. One of our members went to Michaels and they had these, no doubt left over from a Build n Take, for $2 each. So he emptied the shelf so we could do this little friendly competition.

I decided to do mine as a retro T-Top car. The indent on the roof just screamed for this, so I did what the voices in my head told me to. I had a 35 year old can of Duplicolor in 1971 Chevy green from when my dad had a '71 BelAir. Funny thing is that the can still works!

IMG_2530Copy-vi.jpg

Side view - I used the kit tires and wheels since they worked well with my retro chrome theme. I did add chrome to the door handles and mirrors in this view. The chrome grill in the first photo just does it for me!

IMG_2531Copy-vi.jpg

Rear view also gets the chrome treatment with BMF between the tail lights and Alclad on the lower pan. I wanted to test masking off a body for Alclad and it worked well. Now I know I can do convertible windshield surrounds.

IMG_2533Copy-vi.jpg

Top view of T-Tops and interior. I followed the roof crease for the top cut. My original vision was to make tops for it, using the pieces I cut out of the roof to vacuform clear parts. Then I decided I was doing my usual over complication and went back to simple to get it done for the club meeting.

IMG_2524-vi.jpg

Interior was done in two tone beige tones which I think works well with the green body. The chrome theme continues here with a BMFed console. I practiced my Tamiya tape skills on the the color seperations.

This was a fun project that got another build into my case!

• 2 weeks later...