Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you display your models?

Jason, That is a beautiful case and something to be proud of on it's own. This could very well become a family heirloom some day. My wife would never allow me to bring something like that into the house to be honest. I use to restore old furniture thinking I would keep it forever, now everything is throw-away pretty much, I finally gave up. The Wife always seems to want something new. Is that the Big Deuce I see ? Always wanted one of those, I have the Big T waiting for me still in the box. We need some really big display cases if we are going that scale, I love them though.

Thanks, Ron. I had a blast restoring that thing... it's kind of appropriate to put some time and effort into a piece of furniture that showcases the models I've put so much time and effort into. And yes, that is the Big Deuce... it's really nice to get that monster under glass!

Nice piece, Jason. Looks like Heywood-Wakefield? If so, that was great furniture built to last a very long time.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks, Charlie. I can't find a manufacturers tag anywhere, but I don't think it's Hey-Wake. My guess is Lane or Broyhill from the late sixties. I might research it if I ever get bored and/or curious enough.

Carl how do you like that unimat classic ( or 6 in 1 tool ) I have been wanting to get one my self but I just have not gotten up the nerve or the money yet.

Hi Derick

The Unimat is OK for plastic but useless for anything harder. The mill set up works well. it is limited in the size it will handle. \i'm not a machinist so the unimat is probably a lot more capable than I am. I've had this one for many years now.

Thanks

Carl

Carl,

Mind showing that 100 gallon fish tank in more detail? Dimensions, brand and rough cost idea?

Hi Cato

this tank is approx 47X17X23 outside dimentions. The glass is about 1/2"thick. I made a frame of coner moulding and added a plexi shelf in the middle and a plexi top. The whole thing weighs well over 100 lbs. I bought a heavy duty work bench stand when they came on sale at Princess Auto. mounted 3/4"ply fore shelves and top, put caster underneath it and the aquarium on top. All in probably about $200 for everything. I have no idea about the make. bought it from a large pet store that had a sale goiing on.

DSCN1249_zpsd687b9ca.jpg

Thanks

Carl

WOW! 1/2 thick glass! That's an impressive display you made there and homeless fish must be jealous... :lol:

Way more than I need, maybe I'll look at 50 gal tanks-model only about 22" long. :o

Thanks for the education-appreciate your response.

Christopher, These still look good and you have some very nice models. This is how I displayed mine a longtime ago but, they got harder and harder to find and more expensive. What I liked about them they are truly dust free and you can drill the little holes out in the bottom for wires to hold the models in place. Very nice collection, thanks for sharing.

The cars I have on display are in 5 cabinets. 3 of which are converted gun cabinets. They make perfect display cabinets. I remove the wood brace that holds the gun barrels and because the back panels are too flimsy to support shelves so I put 1x2's in the back so when I install the metal adjustable shelf supports there is some "meat" to screw to. They really look good and can be found pretty cheap on Craigslist.

IMG_3009-vi.jpg

I like to display my models in old china cabinets. They are available for free to cheap. This is my main display case, downstairs in my office. I have my best stuff on display here. Due to the height needed for displaying glasses and platters, the 3 shelves are far enough apart to add a shelf between each, doubling the capacity to 6 shelves. China cabinets usually have lights and glass shelves so they're pretty much made to order display cases. I paid $100 for this one at a consignment furniture store.

IMG_3010-vi.jpg

Here's my original display case / china cabinet that I've had in my model room for 24 years. I got this one free when a relative was moving. This is upstairs in my model room. Like the other cabinet, I intend to add an extra shelf between each existing one for a six shelf capacity. Not much in there right now.

IMG_3011-vi.jpg

Here's a display case that holds some of my old custom collection, also up in the model room. My wife had this one for years, when one day on my way home from work, I saw a dark wood one just sitting at the curb. I had the Caravan so I stopped and grabbed it up. My wife liked that one better, so she traded me!

In this photo you can also see three wall mount cases that I have yet to use. I also have a small store display counter out in my garage. I got it for free, another curb find, but it doesn't have any shelves. Eventually it will go in the same general area as the last two in the model room. We are in the process of selling my in-laws house so I may come into a third china cabinet.

Great idea Tom, a good way to recycle. I used the AMT cases when they were about $3 each at Walmart years ago. I would buy them out about once a week. :lol: They got too expensive when they went up to about $10. Just got them back out after seeing Von Zipper's display above, think I have about 35 or so.

Edited by rmvw guy

Tom, those cabinets are beautiful. Word it be hard to add more shelves without destroying the look of the cabinet ?

I know how I'm going to do it. The bigger cabinet has glass shelves with no front edge, just clips on the side. I believe I can duplicate this so it looks like it came that way.

The older cabinet actually has wood shelves with glass centers. I can't duplicate that but I'll put a 3 piece glass shelf between each existing shelf. I'll hide the mounts behind the vertical wood of the cabinet. It shouldn't look all that bad.

• 3 weeks later...

RON , how long ago did you get those book case,s from ikea. ? I,m thinking of getting some,

Blair, I've purchased them over the last 3 to 4 years, most resent last summer. The first one I bought was red and too dark for models. They still come in different colors I think and usually run around $49.00 and go on sale sometimes. The glass doors are around $100.00 a pair and come with removable black and white switchable panels. They come with solid shelves and the glass ones sold separately. Everything is sold flat with assembly required. Easy to fit in the vehicle that way. They are not completely dust free but, I think you could add thin weather stripping around the doors to help. Hope this helps you.

You're welcome Blair. Take your time putting the first one together and the rest will be a snap. They also have really nice hinges included, I placed my hinges where I thought I could maximize the amount of shelves used for models. The glass shelves are two for ten dollars I think and come with the pins. Good luck.

RON ,thanksfor the info my wife and I going in few weeks to pick up about 9 of them .

As you buy multiple units, check them over to make sure they are all the same. My father once bought 10 bookcases to line a wall and we found three different variations within the lot, even though they were all in the same box with the same stock number.

Before I had to move back home, I had a couple of those Ikea "Billy" bookcases. I thought they were fantastic. Very well-made, looked nice. I didn't have doors on mine, as I used them for books and a little storage, but they were a good deal.

Bruce- what did you use for the lighting apparatus in yours? Those look good, too. I would probably go with an LED or similar light that doesn't get hot to minimize potential problems.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Billy Bookcases from Ikea as well. The more I build, the more times I have to go back for more glass shelves!

I've had glass shelves made locally. We have two cabinets in our wall unit in our den that had lights in the top but solid wood shelves. I went to the local glass shop and paid something like $5 a shelf to have them cut in glass.