Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Ford Mustang Fastback AF/X

Car Crazy 81

This is my first attempt at building a AF/X car. First order of business was to get that Ford 427 SOHC shoehorned into the engine bay i had to modify the shock towers in order for the engine to clear and also i'd radisued the rear wheelwells for clearance for the slicks. Im gonna need some pointers on this build beings this is my first time building this i wanted to be as accurate as possible.

Heres some reference pics of what i had in mind and the build as well.

65afx_dover001a_rcvq.jpg

06bkm532016292c_nebl.jpg

06bkm532016292b_6sw4.jpg

06bkm532016292a_9q50.jpg

1965FordMustangFastback2.jpg

1965FordMustangFastback.jpg

Good start! I don't know how correct you want to get, but those cars had a unique front suspension where the coil springs were replace by a flat leaf on either side. Google Mustang AFX front suspension and see what comes up. It may not apply to the one your using for reference though as that was done on the cars supplied to the Ford sponsored racers.

This car was an original A/FX equipped with a wedge ( because the SOHC was in short supply).

These factory cars were supposed to have a 2% wheelbase shift max by the NHRA rulebook.(about 3''in real life or 3mm in scale). If you examine the photo of the Larsen Ford car, you will see the lip of the rear wheel opening is very close to the cove rear edge.(it was actually moved about 4")

The front isn't as noticeable because of the larger than stock wheels/tires (and the fact they were moved slightly less).

Since Mustangs were fairly new in '65 an extra inch or so was hard for a tech guy to pick up on.

At the Winternats. when they debuted they all had carbs with bubble hoods.

Edited by doggie427

Actually, not sure if it's the right year car as this one. I just did a Bing search for "larson ford Long Gone" and the first black and white image looks to be coil over. Not decerning ya guys but it may take a bit of research on the particular car.... Not trying to poke a bee hive, just saying what I saw...

http://crick.smugmug.com/Cars/1960s-Racing-Pics/i-6H2JhMg/0/L/Larson%20Ford_Long%20Gone%20AFX-L.jpg

The "leaf springs" I mentioned, are more apt to be referred to as a form of torsion bar(s). they were fastened somehow to the lower control arm and ran forward to somewhere on the frame. I have a better pic and description in an older issue of SSDI. I'm disappointed that in all the images I looked at on Google, I couldn't find one pic or good exploded view.

The "leaf springs" I mentioned, are more apt to be referred to as a form of torsion bar(s). they were fastened somehow to the lower control arm and ran forward to somewhere on the frame. I have a better pic and description in an older issue of SSDI. I'm disappointed that in all the images I looked at on Google, I couldn't find one pic or good exploded view.

LOL, darned Google anyway!!!! I think I know what your talking about Mike. In the black and white photo you can see remnants of the stock suspension. I thought you and Brett were talking actual arched leaf springs like on most gassers back in the day...

attachicon.gifA_FX Image003.jpgattachicon.gifA_FX Image005.jpgattachicon.gifA_FX Image006.jpgattachicon.gifScanImage007.jpgattachicon.gifA_FX Image008.jpgattachicon.gifA_FX Image009.jpg

A few pics of the front end flat torsion springs and some useful info on the original setup of these cars.

Im planning on building the Larsen Ford Long Gone Mustang. Thanks for the reference pics this is very helpful on this build.

Fabulous pics Wayne!! I sometimes hesitate to post comments without documentation :( Where do I send the check(or kits). :D Thank you!

No problem Mike ...I'm like you, my memory sometimes fails me and I am hesitant to make a post without a little backup. LOL

Now I have to find the other pics !

• 4 months later...