Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

The other thing that we kept coming back to was that nearly all of the NASCAR and drag '50 Oldsmobiles were coupes with one exception-the Herschel McGriff sedan, which not only won the very first La Panamericana race but old HM drove the car up to Darlington and finished seventh, I think, in the very first Southern 500. Maybe to some of the pea brains none of this is significant but for many of us with deep roots and long standing interests in vintage motorsports there couldn't be a race car with more charisma and historic significance.

I guess from these comments, we can infer there will be at least on more version of this kit, and possibly two? One a NASCAR version and another a drag version, due to "nearly all" vintage '50 Oldsmobiles being coupes? It does follow Revell's pattern of recent releases ('69 Nova, '72 Olds (can't wait for the fastback announcement at iHobby 2012!), etc.) which allow multiple options of the same car, but only available in separate kits.

I guess I can't blame Revell for not putting all of their eggs in one basket and releasing the Olds as a 3'n1, with stock, NASCAR, and drag versions. People would blow a gasket at the $35 price tag and the box to hold it all would likely not be the standard size box we all are familiar with, and retailers love because it's a standard size.

The problem then became, does Revell do the first version as a sedan to satisfy the folks wanting a dead-on accurate sedan to do the McGriff car? Or a coupe with the possibility of dozens of spin-offs? The decision was finally made that Revell would take the heat to do the markings for one of the most famous American race cars with historic legacy. The other move was to provide Tom Coolidge (one of the most knowledgeable early Olds experts) with two of the first final test shots. I can tell you that Tom Coolidge does plan to do the resin sedan conversion as soon as he can lay his hands on a production '50 Olds kit.

While I don't think it's unprecedented for a kit maker to include decals to be used with an aftermarket body based on their kit, I can't agree with the "one of the most famous American race cars with historic legacy" comment. Yes, maybe to die-hard vintage racing fans in the 50+ age range that's true, but how many of us even heard of this '50 Olds Panamerica car before this topic? And how many of us consider the '50 Olds to have a "historic legacy"? Sorry, I'm not thirsty, and I never liked Kool-Aid.

I understand these are nit-picks to some, and significant fails to others, and what it boils down to is,"Will we buy the kit?" I think for all who are interested in a '50 Olds the answer is yes, but some of us are still passionate enough about this hobby that the decal/body style mismatch gives us good reason to wonder aloud and question Revell's decision.

...but some of us are still passionate enough about this hobby that the decal/body style mismatch gives us good reason to wonder aloud and question Revell's decision.

The reason I posted the comments from my "anonymous source" was to give everyone some solid, first-hand insight into how and why Revell made their decisions regarding this kit. There was too much speculation going on in this thread, with people forming opinions based on what they guessed Revell's thinking was!

It's fine to second-guess Revell's decision and hash it out on the forum, but if you're going to chime in, at least be aware of the facts before you form an opinion.

(And when I say "you" I'm not referring to you personally, Casey, but to everyone in general).

It's fine to second-guess Revell's decision and hash it out on the forum, but if you're going to chime in, at least be aware of the facts before you form an opinion.

What fun would that be? <_<:lol:

Tom Coolidge better get geared up to fill some orders. ^_^

The problem then became, does Revell do the first version as a sedan to satisfy the folks wanting a dead-on accurate sedan to do the McGriff car? Or a coupe with the possibility of dozens of spin-offs? The decision was finally made that Revell would take the heat to do the markings for one of the most famous American race cars with historic legacy. The other move was to provide Tom Coolidge (one of the most knowledgeable early Olds experts) with two of the first final test shots. I can tell you that Tom Coolidge does plan to do the resin sedan conversion as soon as he can lay his hands on a production '50 Olds kit.

This level of cooperation between a kit manufacturer and a resin caster is very exciting! Kudos to the team at Revell and to Tom Coolidge.

Oh, and while you're at it, send him a '57 Ford Custom so he can do a Custom 300!

Edited by John Goschke

As I stated before, I couldn't care less about the decals. Even IF Revell had supplied the right body for the Hershell McGriff car, I still wouldn't build it just because it's so danged ugly! As far as it being a significant car in NASCAR, I highly doubt that statement or else more people would have known about it. Maybe it is significant to a handful of pea brains.

I think Revell would have been better off to offer this kit as a stock only instead of a half hearted "incorrect" 2n1 kit. For the few people that would want to build a Hershell McGriff car,they've certainly gotten the short end of the stick and probably feel a little jaded. They are going to be forced to buy this kit, plus a resin body to build it. That,or do the conversion themselves.

This is reminicent of the '72 Olds they put out X years ago. A convertible with no uptop. Then,they finally get their head out of the sand and release a second version with an uptop. By that time, I had completely lost interest in the model and never bought it. Plus,the optional wheels it came with certainly didn't help. It was way too late.

Personally, I'm going to buy it and just pitch the decals in the trash and build on. I just gotta find a kit with a modern Olds engine in it. I'm thinking the Shelby Series 1 had an Olds engine in it,but I don't know if it was a V-8 or the Aero Tech engine.

Guest G Holding

And do y'all remember the skirts in the Hudson kit ?Wrong AFTER all the input. I say..qwit your beachin , buy the kit and BUILD what you want. I think Tim Boyd has the best thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

I just googled some images of this car, and I'm impressed! I don't remember seeing many of these as a kid, and by the early '60's when I first knew what a car was, I don't think there were that many on the road at that point. I really do like the lines of this car, and it just goes to show what Oldsmobile once was-------as well as GM.

A styling leader!

So I'll probably get a kit as well, for the mere fact that I love its looks! Who knows when I'll get around to building it though! :D

You guys are griping about the fact that Revell brought out a kit of something that has never been done! Maybe you would just as well not see any new stuff! I remember guys having a fit because there were not any new kits. Maybe you would like a repeat of those years! Gary B.

Got word Olds kits are on the way!!!!

PS.....the Hudson skirt issue has been corrected as of the Marshall Teague kit and going forward. Moebius deserves a nod!!

It's fixed on the current '52 convertible as well.

Just pre-ordered a couple of Olds Coupes from my local shop... I'll be waiting until after I've peeled off the shrink wrap and at least have it in the pre-paint mockup stages before I pass any final judgement upon it. :D