Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Chevy Convertible.

MachinistMark

I'm not saying the '56 Nomad didn't sell well, I just think the '55 and or '57 would do better and be more popular.

Totally agree with you there. Dare I say I think we're "owed" those two kits to round out the Tri-5 series. I know that some people are tired of them, but at this point I have so much invested into the series ;) The AMT '55 is long past due to be replaced, and the same with the old Monogram '57 Nomad.

Totally agree with you there. Dare I say I think we're "owed" those two kits to round out the Tri-5 series. I know that some people are tired of them, but at this point I have so much invested into the series ;) The AMT '55 is long past due to be replaced, and the same with the old Monogram '57 Nomad.

Everything James said.

And I'd still like a correctly-proportioned '56 Sport Coupe.

Now...if the end of this tool's road is here because they plan on re-mastering them and making what are already pretty good kits even better with the marvel of 3-D modeling, and then want to carry these ideas into that, well, I'm okay with that, too.

Charlie Larkin

I've never gotten an answer on what a typical run size is on a Revell kit, but I've done the math on the case count (each case is marked "Box #x of y") I'd say it's somewhere in the 15,000 to 20,000 piece range. SSP's are limited editions of 5,000 pieces, IIRC. Private-label runs (e.g. Model King) are usually 3,000 to 5,000 pieces.

No, they won't, but it sounded to me like there won't be any "new" modified reissues based on the current tooling after the '57 Bel Air convertible is released. Is there enough demand for 50,000 of these in 1/25 scale?:

1957_2door_wagon%20(01).JPG

Not really, but there is a ton of pent-up demand for these - JUNIOR STOCKERS!!! They've been giving us some nice 2-door posts lately, how about some low-level wagons/sedan deliveries?

http://www.hotrod.com/whereitbegan/hrdp_0907_junior_stock_drag_racing/

bobbales.jpg

hrdp_1968_04_zhot_rod_cover.jpg

hrdp_0907_10_z+NHRA_junior_stock_drag_ra

0056stahl1-vi.jpg

quickdelivery.jpg

tn_JS-chevy.jpg

hrdp_0907_17_z%2BNHRA_junior_stock_drag_

hrdp_0907_12_z%2BNHRA_junior_stock_drag_

• 5 months later...

not "bashing" but I really hope the '57 chevy convertible can be built without that stupid continentel kit . I'm old enough to remember the 50s and contrary to belief not every 50s car had em. IMO they are just plain ugly

That's an interesting question, that Connie kit was tooled up specifically for the Convertible. The way they've been with "bonus" parts lately...

I wonder if the Continental kit rear bumper is the only choice..I guess I can swap the rear bumper from the Bel Air sedan kit (I have an extra one of those to do a Nomad using a resin conversion).

The Continental kit rear bumper is on a separate tree as shown with the Convertible windshield frame so it's possible for them to do both if unless they block it off the other chrome tree.

060-vi.jpg

-Steve

Based on Revell's past practices (i.e., the first issue of the '55 convertible), I'm guessing the Connie kit `rear bumper will be be the only one in the kit. If you want a standard rear bumper, you could always grab one from the '57 Bel Air sedan kit.

yep ! already digging through the parts boxes I know I gotta an extra regular one somewhere..thanx for the replys

I don't think they've publicly shown all the parts, have they? That appears to be the same parts display they brought to the Milwaukee NNL in April. Maybe they just decided not to display the shared parts from previous Tri-Five kits, though.

I've seen at my LHS the tenative schedule through Nov, what's scheduled for December besides the Merc?

Well if Tower Hobbies is to be at all believed (hehehehehe) - The '53 Panel and the Slingster Dragster. The Slingster is getting a Monogram box. The Beetle rebox, Cuda, '57 Chevy and Shelby Convertible are showing November. That's an awfully big November!

my only deal is that they include the extra cost option continental kit, but not the extra "splash" guards behind the front wheel openings, (when these were shown in the photos on the '55 'vert kit box) & they don't offer the fuel injection, that was the ultimate in options, & also the four speeds were introduced in late '57, so wouldn't that rate as an option also?

Well I was hanging out next to a grapevine, and apparently Revell was forthcoming the reason the '57 Convertible was due to a tooling snafu with the chassis that was SO EPIC in it's level of embarrassment as to make the backwards gas tank on the Nova seem like a minor error in engraving depth.

It's being fixed, that's the delay. That give me two lines of though. Kudos to Revell for catching the issue and fixing what would have been such a glaring accuracy issue I don't think even their most ardent defenders could haul the mail for them. But in the same turn how the in the bleeding heck do you let something so glaringly obvious get all the way into final tooling? You can't blame China, this was a R&D and Kit Design flaw. I have to believe that the computers in Elk Grove Village are simply not connected to the same internet as the rest of the world because even a modicum of research would have shown the correct way of going about things.

Am I being deliberately vague, sure. I would just invite anyone who's interested to go look at the Convertible Specific parts that are shown in the Kit Review thread, then ponder a Convertible's unique chassis, then the parts, then the 1:1 chassis, and I think "X" marks the spot of the missing part *cough* <_<