Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project: "Inferno" 49 Merc - *Update p17* 3/13/15

JasonFL

Good to see you back at this one Jason, more great work! That 4-link is shaping up nicely indeed.

Thanks Zac. I appreciate it. Glad I finally got the rear all figured out, it's almost done.

Great detail,,

Thanks Andre

Real Nice Work Jason!

B)

Thanks Ira. One day I'll have the balls to cut my projects up and be able to put them back together like you do.

This is amazing work!!! Cant wait to see more!!!

Wow amazing detail. Thanks for sharing, this is really sweet.

Love every bit of it. Thanks for sharing the work.

Thanks Chris & James, I really appreciate that. Ill try and get more photos up soon.

Welcome to the site guys.

Love this kind of work and patience. Good stuff, keep it going.

Thanks Doc.

Wow! Amazing work on that 4link.

One question, that paper clip u used to bend. That stays inside the tube after you cut it right?

Thanks Luis. Yea, the paper clip fits pretty snug in there. I cut the clip smaller then the straw to give me room so I could cut the straw back to fit the endings. But once it's bent the clip doesn't move at all.

Very Nice work on the chassis to get it to sit that low. I am gonna take some notes for my '49 that I would like to start on soon. I have a vision of pretty much having mine just about sitting on the rockers.

Thanks Chris. It's more work then I expected but well worth it. Can't wait to see yours laying rocker. I'll keep my eye out for the build.

As you can see, there's no room for an exhaust to run out the rear so I had to change the plans. Instead I'm going to go straight pipes right out the side.

I started by taking the old exhaust, flipping them to opposite sides, and piecing them together.

How the exhaust is supposed to sit stock:

DSCN6966_zps0e11c136.jpg

DSCN6965_zps13be2806.jpg

The exhaust flipped to opposite sides going out the fender.

DSCN6969_zpsb3a0f9a2.jpg

DSCN6968_zpsaf655208.jpg

I needed to shorten this pipe to clear the rim on the passenger side.

DSCN6969_zpsb3a0f9a2.jpg

So I cut the pipe down.

DSCN7012_zpsc44f55b0.jpg

Then I tapered the ends to fit the clamps. First I made a slight cut with the saw all the way around the pipe (ex:top part of pipe right side) then sanding it down to the right thickness (ex:bottom of pipe left side).

DSCN7000_zpseaa1eb08.jpg

I used the clamps off one of the extra exhaust ends, drilled out the center, and used it to cover were I attached the 2 pipes.

DSCN6977_zpsda5d6c07.jpg

DSCN6979_zpsebafabdc.jpg

This is the clamp and the piece of pipe (pass. side) that connects to the header.

DSCN6987_zps9f4a170b.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

Since I'm making the side pipes thicker then the rest of the exhaust I'm going to use the clamps off the muffler to help blend all the pipes together.

Started out by running a drill bit through the center.

DSCN6992_zps185e5bd3.jpg

DSCN6997_zpsf14a00be.jpg

Then cut the end off with the clamp and attached it to the pipe.

DSCN7005_zps4b0d42a0.jpg

The 2 pipes connected (still need cleaning up)

DSCN7010_zpsce7e8ec5.jpg

DSCN7007_zpsdaf46e14.jpg

DSCN7008_zpsa70854d7.jpg

I was going to use this R/C antenna cover for exhaust, bend it into place and then use a piece of plastic pipe to attach it but that was a big flop.

b723c4f1d3872ae5c5f45f39653d6fd0_zpsf70c

So i resorted back to my parts tree stash and decided to make my own exhaust

DSCN7016_zps1d66416a.jpg

I cleaned them up and used a drill bit to make holes for a more realistic look.

DSCN7020_zps829ff7ed.jpg

You can see how far I drilled in the light.

DSCN7025_zpsf2d4a0fa.jpg

I also rounded the edges off to flow better out of the fender.

DSCN7031_zps4a8524cc.jpg

And there you go, custom side pipes.

DSCN7017_zpsb5ac5ff8.jpg

Having to go with side pipes was a big game changer for the Merc. All original plans went out the window.

Instead of the small skirts I'm going to go with the big ones, extend them a bit, shape them to flow with the body lines, and flatten the bottoms.

Then I'm going to drop the front/rear bumpers all the way flat on the ground and this will give me that aggressive slammed clean look I was going for.

Here's a mock up, let me know what you all think. Thanks for looking.

DSCN7037_zps45b84d29.jpg

DSCN7044_zps25072b95.jpg

DSCN7034_zps83ed9aa6.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

Wow Jason, I'm floored. Great work all around. This is shaping up to be one of the best Revell Mercs ever. I'm digging the fact that the sled is still grounded with the side pipes. Nice call on the cruiser skirts. Too bad you have to lay the body over that great chassis, That beefy 4 link is nuts!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Jason, I'm floored. Great work all around. This is shaping up to be one of the best Revell Mercs ever. I'm digging the fact that the sled is still grounded with the side pipes. Nice call on the cruiser skirts. Too bad you have to lay the body over that great chassis, That beefy 4 link is nuts!

Thanks Albie. I really appreciate that. A lot of the inspiration comes for you guys. I have a few more cool details I think will really make this Merc set apart from the rest. After its all together you'll still be able to see the notch from the back window, I think you'll like it. Thanks for sticking with the build, I'll try and update more.

I love it!

killer ride

Thanks James and Todd.

This is a great build. Looking forward to see what your going to do with the front valance and grille area. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks Joe. I think your gonna dig what I did with the front, look mean.

Just to clean the interior up a bit I shaved the dashboard smooth of the clock, radio, glovebox/lock, and those lines, not to sure what they are.

Then I followed that nice body line all the way through.

DSCN6573.jpgDSCN6576.jpg

DSCN6578.jpg

Those lines are the speaker grille.

The dash looks great shaved smooth like that- I'm gonna do that on my next Merc. B)