Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 Mercedes 540K

Harry P.

Did you see the prices on this stuff? No thanks... :D

3 sheets for $16 at the second link, but that may be too much. Here's the #16 diagonal weave; I assume the #16 square weave would create a similar impression.

540kmesh_zps551ba370.jpg

I got this and a larger version to use for Jag SS 100 headlight stone guards and replacement grille.

Edited by sjordan2

3 sheets for $16 at the second link, but that may be too much. Here's the #16 diagonal weave; I assume the #16 square weave would create a similar impression.

540kmesh_zps551ba370.jpg

I got this and a larger version to use for Jag SS 100 headlight stone guards and replacement grille.

The mesh on that site you linked to that looks the closest to being in scale goes for $45. No way I'm going to spend almost 50 bucks on some mesh. And the mesh in your photo isn't square, even if laid to be that way, and is way too big.

I'm going to try a google search for PE mesh, but if I can't find something workable I'll just use the inserts in the kit.

I'm not going to beat this into the ground anymore, but I don't think we're on the same page. I'm referring to the dickblick link above that shows the square weave pattern enlarged, 3 sheets for $16. I was merely using my diagonal weave as a directional example. I'm sure you can probably find a better alternative. In any case I think real mesh is the way to go.

EDIT: As you mentioned above, you can find a wide variety of wire mesh in different materials on eBay in appropriate-sized trimmed pieces, mostly under $10.

Here's some square-pattern stainless steel wire in a range of sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/stainless-steel-screen-mesh

Edited by sjordan2

Another scary moment overcome.... :D

The kit glass is thick... too thick to be in scale, IMO, so I replaced it with thinner, crystal clear Lexan, as I usually do. The problem is that there is almost no gluing area here... the glass sits in the frame with just the tiniest amount of it fitting into a very tiny recess on the back side of the frame. To make matters worse, when I was test-fitting the frame to the cowl, I saw that the frame must be distorted and bent a little in order to fit tightly against the cowl. There was no way I could cut and install the glass into the frame first, and then glue the glass/frame as a unit to the cowl, because then the frame would have had gaps where it meets the cowl. The frame had to be distorted a bit when glued in place, which alters the size/shape of the glass openings. And because the glue area for each glass pane is maybe 1/32 inch along the edges, if that, there was no room for error.

So I had to glue the frame in place first... center post and wait for the cement to dry, then one side post, then the other... forcing the frame to follow the curves of the cowl. Then, once I had the final openings for the glass defined, I cut the Lexan to fit and glued it in using the tiniest drops of liquid cement possible.

mb27_zpsdde0da76.jpg

Wow! Even at this stage, I've never seen this kit done better.

PS: On reviewing this thread, I had missed that you had already noted eBay as the right source for mesh, hence my long-winded discussion on the subject. These senior moments seem more frequent these days.

Edited by sjordan2