Model Cars Magazine Forum

BAD or GOOD "BADMAN"?

Dr. Cranky

10 hours ago, Allen Wrench said:

The ladder bars are well-done and are definitely usable on other drag builds, too. In fact, Ed Fluck at Drag City Casting offers them in resin. I've also seen the front straight axle setup used on other gasser builds. In fact, I believe Tim Boyd used it on his '57 150 gasser that was featured in SA several years ago.

I always thought the 'kinked' ladder bars looked odd, as I don't recall seeing any real ones which looked like that, but the bend does make adapting them to other vehicles easier. The exhaust dumps always seemed slightly out of place to me, too. They look like they were well thought out, custom fabricated, and specifically designed to fit this exact car:

Mono6747Badman6.jpg

37 minutes ago, Casey said:

I always thought the 'kinked' ladder bars looked odd, as I don't recall seeing any real ones which looked like that

Motion Performance offered them back in the day, set up for GM A-bodies (with brackets to be welded to the diff housing). Fairly good representations of these are in the AMT '72 Nova. Their cross-braces are too thick, but otherwise, they look just like the M-P ones. The ones in Badman are much longer, about twice the size. The ones in the AMT Nova are pretty close to the right size. 

I tried to google-image a set of the old ones and came up empty. Closest I found was these: 

https://www.carid.com/lakewood/ladder-bars.html

Guess I'll have to find an ad for them in an old Hi Performance CARS magazine. 

Keep in mind that traction bars, back in the day, were often home-brewed and could be in a wide variety of shapes and materials, especially on gassers. So someone could have fabricated a set of Badman traction bars out of scrap steel, and someone, somewhere, probably did. Something else to keep in mind is that the NHRA rulebooks (from at least 1965 on, anyway) dictated that traction bars could be no longer than one-half the wheelbase. 

I finally dug one out a year or so ago and built it. REALLY glad to have one personally. I love this kit and could care less if its 'accurate ' or not.

Its from my youth ,,,which I want to retain and relive as best I can , while I can. Some of my builds I try to make reasonably close to accurate, but others I just try to have fun with . And these 2 were at the top of that list .

DSC00885.thumb.JPG.31d1337173312c5e6ea36cfc6f09d543.JPGDSC00884.thumb.JPG.def7e4583f2789a4212377e516530443.JPG

And the same goes for the Sock it To Me 1962 Vette. There are far better versions of a 62 Vette out there. But this kits was just plain fun to build. And the 2 look killer beside one another in my case

DSC00968.thumb.JPG.197d8ecb51ee4da7c1381a7034dc5c26.JPGDSC00981.thumb.JPG.7d8b488a518457f6f0e2a140aab4991a.JPG

Edited by gtx6970
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I finally dug one out a year or so ago and built it. REALLY glad to have one personally. I love this kit and could care less if its 'accurate ' or not.

Its from my youth ,,,which I want to retain and relive as best I can , while I can. Some of my builds I try to make reasonably close to accurate, but others I just try to have fun with . And these 2 were at the top of that list .

DSC00885.thumb.JPG.31d1337173312c5e6ea36cfc6f09d543.JPGDSC00884.thumb.JPG.def7e4583f2789a4212377e516530443.JPG

And the same goes for the Sock it To Me 1962 Vette. There are far better versions of a 62 Vette out there. But this kits was just plain fun to build. And the 2 look killer beside one another in my case

DSC00968.thumb.JPG.197d8ecb51ee4da7c1381a7034dc5c26.JPGDSC00981.thumb.JPG.7d8b488a518457f6f0e2a140aab4991a.JPG

Exactly. That's why I still play with AMT Deuces. Loads of fun all in one box.

IMG_9245rt-vi (1).jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Casey said:

A centrally-positioned driver close enough to kiss the windshield and mid-mounted engine, wrapped in a four-door sedan. Not a lot in common with the Badman.

Not sure where you're getting mid-mounted engine. If it is, what's the hood lump for? 

Also, my interpretation was that's a passenger, not a centrally positioned driver. I THINK I can just make out the suggestion of a driver through the tinted side glass. 

And, this is not NHRA legal Modified Production. If everything else were kosher, you'd still have to bolt the front pan and front bumper back on to make NHRA MP. Back bumper too, I see. I'm not familiar with AHRA MP rules. 

23 hours ago, Deuces said:

I wonder..... Which came first...?

$1.53.jpg

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Nope, the driver is on the right side.  Judging by the Holden in the other lane, that car was in Australia.

Ha!  Shows you what I know!  I thought that was some sort of K.T. Keller era Mopar in the far lane (either a Dodge or a Plymouth).

Shoulda known better - the fact that they're both "more doors" probably should have been a clue...

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2018 at 9:59 AM, Dave Darby said:

That Weiand Drag Star 6 carb manifold setup (minus plating on the manifold) was in the original issue 55. The unit from the Woody will directly interchange with the Bad Man 55.

Comparing the instruction sheets from the original PC83 '55 Chevrolet, Badman, and '55 Chevy Street Machine kits, the three integrally molded intake manifold/cylinder head pieces were deleted and separate, more detailed cylinder heads were included in the latter two kits:

MonoPC8355Chevrolet22.jpg.7ebd6c9cf03cf109717919168a0d26ea.jpg

Mono6747Badman3.jpg

Mono221155Chevy2.jpg

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

Comparing the instruction sheets from the original PC83 '55 Chevrolet, Badman, and '55 Chevy Street Machine kits, the three integrally molded intake manifold/cylinder head pieces were deleted and separate, more detailed cylinder heads were included in the latter two kits:

MonoPC8355Chevrolet22.jpg.7ebd6c9cf03cf109717919168a0d26ea.jpg

Mono6747Badman3.jpg

Mono221155Chevy2.jpg

I'll have to dig up the photos of the one I had. I didnt notice before that they were molded in one piece. Regardless, the Woody has separate heads and intake manifold and I've test fitted the intakes between several Monogram small blocks so I know they will fit. (One of my bucket list projects involves using the blower from the 55 Street Machine on a Monogram T bucket to recreate the Swee-Tee). It fits perfectly, as does the Woody intake.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Deuces said:

I wonder..... Which came first...?

$1.53.jpg

I firmly believe this Tom Daniel sketchpad from the December 1965 Rod & Custom would be what Tom based the Bad Man off of. It's not exact, but it has many of the elements. I just wish they would re-issue it again.

20180103_220128.jpg

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I firmly believe this Tom Daniel sketchpad from the December 1965 Rod & Custom would be what Tom based the Bad Man off of. It's not exact, but it has many of the elements. I just wish they would re-issue it again.

20180103_220128.jpg

I've never seen that...thanks for posting it! B)

The famous graphics came from another TD Sketchbook, I think earlier, and IIRC on a '62 Chevy. I have that one. 

Even though I've got some of them, I'd cough up the cash for a Tom Daniel book with all of those Sketchpads included.  Even with Rod & Custom gone, probably too difficult for him to get back the rights to that work...

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Even though I've got some of them, I'd cough up the cash for a Tom Daniel book with all of those Sketchpads included.  Even with Rod & Custom gone, probably too difficult for him to get back the rights to that work...

Man that's just what I was thinking right before I read YOUR post :P

On 1/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, Greg Myers said:

Man that's just what I was thinking right before I read YOUR post :P

Me as well. I love seeing the process of an illustrator's ideas from thumbnail sketch to drawing to finished rendering , and in this case, to 3D model. Fun to see the ones that got away, too; those that just halted or changed direction for whatever reason.