Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevy 150 Toronto Metropolitan Police

Nick Winter

Very nice old Police Cruiser! You're skills are sharpening up nicely. That is a very clean, very nice paintjob. The details are subtle like they are supposed to be, and overall, this car has that 'just right' look to it that others have commented about on other topics. Bravo Zulu, Well Done!

Really great looking '57 Chevy! I like the idea of this build, something unusual. Paintjob looks really good to me, and engine is great. The wheels and tires look very good too, I think. Nothing wrong with it, I like this very much.

Very nicely done!

One question. What's up with that light on the right front fender being angled like that? I did a google search, and the photo I found shows the light the same way, so your model is correct. But why is it angled like that?

Harry,

That's a "STOP" light. In the 50's and earlier, some law enforcement agencies used them to make traffic stops. The patrol officer would pull up alongside and slightly ahead of the errant motorist, then illuminate the "STOP" light on the right front fender to signal the motorist to pull over.

Obviously, by the mid-60's they were all but obsolete as it was becoming too dangerous for an officer to pull alongside an unknown 'customer,' exposing himself/herself to sideswiping, ramming, or gunshots. The more accepted ~ and safer ~ practice of stopping behind the motorist and approaching cautiously from his/her blind side became more common and the usefulness of the "STOP" light was gone.

Michigan used a variation ... the illuminated "STOP" sign in the middle of the patrol car's hood ... they used those for decades and if I'm not mistaken, they still have them on their patrol cars ~ probably more out of tradition than any functional need.

Harry,

That's a "STOP" light. In the 50's and earlier, some law enforcement agencies used them to make traffic stops. The patrol officer would pull up alongside and slightly ahead of the errant motorist, then illuminate the "STOP" light on the right front fender to signal the motorist to pull over.

Obviously, by the mid-60's they were all but obsolete as it was becoming too dangerous for an officer to pull alongside an unknown 'customer,' exposing himself/herself to sideswiping, ramming, or gunshots. The more accepted ~ and safer ~ practice of stopping behind the motorist and approaching cautiously from his/her blind side became more common and the usefulness of the "STOP" light was gone.

Michigan used a variation ... the illuminated "STOP" sign in the middle of the patrol car's hood ... they used those for decades and if I'm not mistaken, they still have them on their patrol cars ~ probably more out of tradition than any functional need.

Interesting! Thanks for the lowdown.