Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda, all aluminum hemi

vintagedragfan

I finally have gotten to the point where I think I can move on with the chassis, I have no idea how it will turn out, this will be my first scratch built chassis, and using brass, the only other brass experience I have is the front axle on my last project, I wanted to do coil overs in the front because I thought it would be the easiest to try and fabricate, but with the headers beside the valve covers, there just isn't enough room for the front roll cage to go where it needs to for the struts, so I am kind of forced to go with an A arm suspension, which I love the looks of better any way, my original plan was to have all working suspension, I am going to do my best at achieving this, not sure how it will turn out, wish me luck! I started with rectangle brass for the basis of the frame rails, I am sure it won't pass NHRA specs, but it is a STREET car! lolIMG_1297-vi.jpgIMG_1298-vi.jpgIMG_1299-vi.jpgIMG_1300-vi.jpg

Looks like you're off to a good start on the chassis, Billy Boy. I was wondering if you were planning on a full tube competition style, or something milder for the street.

FYI, take care not to pretty up the solder joints too much until you've finished with the surrounding joints. Otherwise, you may be filing them more than once.

Work looks satisfactory; carry on

G'day all.

This will be my first post in this forum.

Astounding work, my good man. Your "mini metal mill" is simply amazing, Bill.

And what about those custom rim's, I bow in the shadow of a true master.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful images with us.

Pedro.

Looks like you're off to a good start on the chassis, Billy Boy. I was wondering if you were planning on a full tube competition style, or something milder for the street.

FYI, take care not to pretty up the solder joints too much until you've finished with the surrounding joints. Otherwise, you may be filing them more than once.

Work looks satisfactory; carry on

hey Alyn ol buddy, yea I am old school, I want this to end up more like a (Cuda) that has been tubbed and caged, rather than a tube chassis with a Cuda shape like a full tilt drag car, the soldering is a learning experience as I go, the only soldering I have done up to this point is wire connections!! LOL wish me luck!

I keep going back and looking at those wheels!

Wow, yeah, what everybody else said! I can't seem to find my own words for how cool those are.

hi scale master, I am very happy with them being my first set in this small scale, thanks for the generous words, exceptional work you are doing on the super 7 btw!

Bill, It's fun watching all this amazing scratch building. The wheels look remarkable. I'm curious, what did you use to polish them up after you finished machining them?

-Art

thanks for checking in on the progress Art! truly appreciate it, I use semi chrome polish as a final polish

G'day all.

This will be my first post in this forum.

Astounding work, my good man. Your "mini metal mill" is simply amazing, Bill.

And what about those custom rim's, I bow in the shadow of a true master.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful images with us.

Pedro.

welcome to the forum Pedro! thank you!

Still knockout work. Great to see real craftsmanship.

thank you Bill, you sir are very generous!

I stumbled upon this thread about 3 1/2 days ago. And for the last 3 1/2 days in my spare time I have read the complete thread. Many encouraging words have been spoken but Bill I don't think there are any words in the English dictionary that can truly describe the work you have done here. My advice is start buying stock in the companies that make milling machines because I think you are going to see an increase in sales :D

Every now and then somebody comes along with a vision and an impossible task. You, Bill, have taken your vision and with hard work and determination you are bringing that vision to life. You have taken this hobby to the next level. I will be looking forward to seeing your vision completed.

I stumbled upon this thread about 3 1/2 days ago. And for the last 3 1/2 days in my spare time I have read the complete thread. Many encouraging words have been spoken but Bill I don't think there are any words in the English dictionary that can truly describe the work you have done here. My advice is start buying stock in the companies that make milling machines because I think you are going to see an increase in sales :D

Every now and then somebody comes along with a vision and an impossible task. You, Bill, have taken your vision and with hard work and determination you are bringing that vision to life. You have taken this hobby to the next level. I will be looking forward to seeing your vision completed.

hi Lee, this is something I have dreamed of doing for many many years, I like to challenge myself, so here it goes! this chassis is going to be extremely challenging (for me at least) to try and make everything fully functional and look the way I see it, I don't have any idea how it will turn out!! but I am going to do my best to make this dream come true, thanks so much for the kind words, they are truly inspiring!

as you can see, after sitting the engine in its correct placement, there is plenty of room on the right side for an upper A arms, but due to the offset of the block and the left header being slightly different, there is not enough room for an upper A armIMG_1361-vi.jpgIMG_1362-vi.jpg

so I mocked every thing up and decided to see if I could sneak some roll cage in there for upper mounts for struts, it''s going to be tight, but hopefully I can make it work

IMG_1364-vi.jpgIMG_1365-vi.jpgIMG_1366-vi.jpg

hopefully I can come up with a little nicer firewall than this one :huh: thanks for checking on the progress!

Edited by vintagedragfan