Model Cars Magazine Forum

I think most of us are too much of insiders for the box art to affect us! We know what's going on from the rumor stage of a new kit, so we know what we will and won't buy before it ever hits the market.

Box art is a big seller to the general public, those that see kits for the first time on the hobby shop shelf. We seldom see stuff we don't already know about. Remember the excitement as a kid when you went store to store to look at the model selection. You'd find new kits you never knew existed and that was very exciting. And there was box art that absolutely sold kits! For me it was the Revell '57 Nomad kit. That beach scene got me time and time again. I really wanted to have the car on the box top!

Mvc001s-vi.jpg

Here's the box. Note the Bob Paeth autograph in the sand!

...and if you look closely, you will see that the chrome reverse wheels are actually black and white photos from a different car. Bob Paeth's car in fact, an old Rambler. They at Revell did not like the wheels the car used so they took a B&W photo of the rambler wheel and cut and pasted the wheels the old fashioned way by actually cutting the pic and pasting it over the Chevy's wheels.

...and if you look closely, you will see that the chrome reverse wheels are actually black and white photos from a different car. Bob Paeth's car in fact, an old Rambler. They at Revell did not like the wheels the car used so they took a B&W photo of the rambler wheel and cut and pasted the wheels the old fashioned way by actually cutting the pic and pasting it over the Chevy's wheels.

I remember that story. He was an excellent artist and art director.

As a visual and conceptual artist , the box art is a huge attraction !

I'll be 43 in April ; I first started building in '73 or '74 , and my sole decisions for a 32nd scale snap kit was based upon what was on the box (Monogram's Funny Car series was my favourite !).

I ostensibly missed out on the golden era of box art (the Pop Art / Psychedelic artwork of '63-'70) , though I certainly do recall seeing those kits' boxes at older cousins' houses and in thrift stores and in outdated stock at dep't stores when I was a kid (wanted to build them , but they were beyond my abilities ...).

When I started on glue kits (around '75 / '76) I was drawn (no pun intended) to the MPC annuals . Sears seemed to keep quite a few of them in their stock !

Also , being of an abstract mind , the reissues of Tom Daniel's kits (Vandal , etc.) were a feast for the eyes !

In subsequent years , I've passed on many kits just because of the crappy cover art ! The RC-2 era of AMT was thee worst !!

In summary : The boxes' art still is a subliminal decisor for me , but not as big a deterrent as it was in the past .

The neuvaux Revell box art is attractive . Round2's box art is the absolute best (and , yes , that's in full recognition that some of it is repro AMT and MPC work , which is-was another favourite of mine !) .

I've gone both ways on this issue. Generally, I'm looking for a specific vehicle when I go to the LHS. In that case, the only thing I'm looking for on the box is some photographic evidence of what's in the box (assuming I haven't read a review beforehand). The folks at Lindberg taught me to be skeptical in this regard, with their beautiful pictures of 1:1 cars in studio settings that make them look like they could be well made models.

There are times, however, when I'm in a rut and looking for inspiration. At these times, since I'm generally looking at unfamiliar subjects, the box art can be the whole justification for the purchase. Since I go into these with minimal expectations in the first place, I'm rarely disappointed.

IIRC the original had/has Buick wires and Revell didn't want to tool up for them for some reason.

MVC010S-vi.jpg

True story and I got to hear it first hand from Bob himself at the GSL in 2001. The pic above is me, Bob Paeth and Tom Daniel in 2003.

• 2 weeks later...

Box art might influence what kit I but over another only if the 2 kits are exactly the same. Meaning if the box is either an original or replica of some old version of said kit . As an example. I was looking for an AMT 1955 Nomad recently and I tried to get one of the original / older issues with some really cool box art lid.

But,,alas I ended up just getting one of the newer releases with the boring artwork on the cover.

But otherwise it means nothing to me . I buy for whats inside.

Edited by gtx6970

Guest G Holding

I have seen some great box art....Couple of builders photo shopped their builds onto the kit box...complete with logos and all. The one I fell for was the 48 Ford custom from Revell...Donn Yost Edition ! ...Yeah I found out that it was bogus, But it looked real to me!

The box art only helps me decide if I don't know whats in the inside. If I've done my homework or owned the kit before, the box could be solid white for all I care. Otherwise,the picture can certainly stir my interests and force me into an impulse buy. What I don't understand is why so many models fail to properly show off what is inside. Often there are decals for versions inside that aren't show on the outside. Often the completed model photos on the side look like an average at best modeler built the thing. Some of the foreign companies just give you a drawing on the front and not one picture or mention of what's inside. If they're hiding something bad, I can understand. But often there are goodies inside that had I known about I would've snagged one up much much sooner.

I think box art that is visually appealing is important. After all, it helps sell the product in the box. And a good piece of box art really can be considered fine art in its own respect, whether drawn or photographic.

What I think is more important, though, is an accurate depiction of what you get in the box. I like the idea of a picture on the side with all the tress up close, or on the bottom, blown up enough so you can see exactly what you're getting.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care what Revell did to that 57 Nomad pic, it's still my favorite, next to the original AMT 39/40 tudor and the Revell 29 pickup box. Glad you guys brought this up. AMT and Revells 60s box art is a huge draw for me. I find myself looking for affordable originals to house some of the newer releases of the same kits I have. Most box art since the 80's puts me off unless I'm just getting a builder or kit for parts; there is some truly cheesy stuff out there. One of the worst box art examples I can think of would be AMTs 1/12 64 Mustang where they used a pic of the actual model to help you decide not to buy the kit :) Truth in advertising at it's finest...

mike

The car had wire wheels didn't it?

I think I've bought models sometimes just because of the box art.

Because I like to draw cars too,and the art work appeals to me.

Newer kits that have had 'retouched photo of actual model' on the box have actually turned me off,unless I really want the kit and know what's in there.

Re: Box art......Okay whats in the box????

Chevies005.jpg

This.Chevies006.jpg

You had to read the end panel to see what car you were getting.

Later they came out with some great IMO art. Looking at this art work you could just imagine how it would feel to own the real thing. Pics courtesy of Bob B.

2in1.jpg

drag.jpg

34.jpg

It wasn't that "Revell did no like the wheels the car used", it was that at a last minute product review to approve the box art, they noticed that the wire wheels on the actual car weren't in the kit. Not wanting to upset customers, they decided to change the box to reflect the chrome reverse wheels that actually were in the kit. Never mind that they didn't have the decals to duplicate the box car either!