Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do you get your magazines ?

Greg Myers

Magazine sources pretty much in order of shopping priority

1. Mailbox - (3) Automotive (including Model Cars Magazine), (3) Art & Automotive Art.

2. Local Hobby Shop - when I do pick up that "rare" copy of the other model car magazine, occasional Slot Car Magazines.

3. Barnes & Noble - Rod & Custom Little Pages specials, occasional Roddder's Journal, Street Rodder Premium, Art Magazines

(hey what can I say, real car Auto Art is a sideline), occasionally Vintage Auto Racing has to have really interesting subject in it,

Mini Magazine and Mini World Magazine (both printed in UK, Classic Mini magazines when B & N have them in), rarely Fine Art

Magazine

4. Grocery Store - Occasional Hot Rod Delux, very rare Hot Rod (Has to have something real special to me in it) Hot Rod Deluxe, best of's.

Bottom line the ones that I gotta have come to my mail box even though they are occasionally shredded by the postal maroons.

How about some sort of protective sleeve or sealed plastic bag to protect the magazine, are you listening Greg, please. I'd pay more

for it I like to keep my magazines in as pristine condition as possible, they are all stored in labled, sorted, banker's boxes. Did I mention

that I was a perfectionist...

I maintain an extensive library of Auto and Art magazines which to the best of my recolection I have never tossed one. I have

Rod & Custom and Hot Rod (when it was a cool magazine every month), a few Model Car Science and Car Model magazines

clear back to the late 50's and early 60's. (My collection was greatly added to when both Uncles downsized their places, they

know where to come find 'em! They are also the only ones I have ever allowed to borrow a magazine vintage or new.)

I just saw this article on Barnes & Noble closing about 1/3 of their stores, which may be the beginning of the end for them. Ironic that Gregg worked so hard to get them to carry MCM, and now this. One more reason to subscribe.

http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-barnes-noble-store-closures20130205,0,2110753.story

I get them (occasionally) for FREE after they are pulled from shelves for the new issues thanks to a cute little girl we know that works as an asst. Manager there. ;)

Just have the upc barcode removed.

It's not Gregg's decision, it's the publisher's decision.

Harry, that's fine. If enough subscribers ask for better protection from the gorillas at the post office the publisher may listen and protect their product.

I have had to buy copies of magazines that the postal service rendered unreadable. I had a copy of Rod and Custom ripped nearly in half, no damage notice form the post office just shreaded magazine. To Rod & Custom's credit they did extend my subscription an extra month. I have also received a couple issues of my favorite model magazine with a torn cover and corners. I am certain that I'm not the only one.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, now back to something completely different....

• 3 weeks later...