Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

<p>Sometimes its like the universe just sticks its finger in your face and say"Do it dummy". I really wanted to be in this CBP but the only 62 or earlier ride I have is a 55 Ford Victoria of which I have a plan for that does`nt fit in 1962. I have so many models to be built or resto`ed that I told myself I was`nt going to buy any more models this year until my pile got thinned out and resigned myself to not participating....well that thought made it less than 3 daysI`m in Value Village wandering aimlessly and I spy an AMT 57 Fairlane 3in1 STILL IN THE WRAPPER!!!! For $10. It was so obvious that it was meant for me and this build that I couldnt pass it up, so here I am. Being that it was un-opened until my grubby hands got on it, its like new and has a lot of performance parts of that era in the box that I would need to make it a 1962 Cannonball death machine. I dont think I`m going to deviate much from box stock on this baby....much....seeing as how its managed to survive untouched for this long, and honour it by building it as clean and badass as I can. It may be a while before I can actually start on it so dont wait up for progress shots anytime soon. And once its rolling...dont try to keep up ;) 

post-8524-0-23520700-1325726324_thumb.jp

2) All cars/trucks, equiptment, and build styles must be circa 1962. Period correct Street Rods, Finned 50's iron, Kustoms, solid axle Corvettes, or anything else you can think of that might have been on the roads in 1962.

I hate to be "one of those" rivet counters here Slant, but I'm just wondering about the '64 chassis and running gear if the cut off is '62. I'm just not that informed about the mechanics of early iron (or late iron for that matter).

I hate to be "one of those" rivet counters here Slant, but I'm just wondering about the '64 chassis and running gear if the cut off is '62. I'm just not that informed about the mechanics of early iron (or late iron for that matter).

The chassis of the 62 would be identical to the 64, the Lindberg kit just has better detail.

Might need a chase/support truck or two, as well.

I m gonna need one or two for sure. There just isn t that much space in the AC.

Started to change the Cobra into an AC, not that much work when you use a Ac cobra. But looked at pics and realize that the Ac Cobra have small wheel flares that the Ace don t have. Well Dremel is invented :)

But whit out more words let the pics speak for em selves

front.jpg

The front. Had to change it just a bit.

body.jpg

The body. Whit flares removed

Edited by patami

Heres my 62 Impala as of yesterday morning......

100_2054.jpg

And here is where I am at now......

I painted the chassis with gray primer followed by body color overspray (Black) around the edges, and then masked and painted the frame rails gloss black, and to add a little bit more detail, I sprayed black in a textured pattern in the wheel wells to simulate undercoating

100_2059.jpg

And here is a mockup of the ride height which will be lowered some before it is finished.

100_2055.jpg

We've got some awesome builds in this so far, I cant wait to see how they all turn out!

I got some work started on the Dart, I was expecting the 64 chassis to drop right in but when I fitted it I found a few places where the 2 kits don't match up well.

003-34.jpg

004-29.jpg

So a little cutting at the front and rear and it did fall into place.

012-8.jpg

010-13.jpg

The front is going to need some more work but this time I'm going to have to cut into the body, the radiator core support is going to have to go. Thats not a bad thing as I didn't like the round posts molded in place, but the depth of the grille surround is also going to have to be shortened. I've already checked and it won't cause any problems with the grille and will probably make the underhood area look better anyway.

008-16.jpg

Slant ain t it nice how easy it s done in scale. Much more work in the real world to get a chassi from an other car fitted.

Nice buids you got guys. Just have to go on building my Ac ace.

Edited by patami

Still moving but I was able to get a picture of the box and it's ingredients... This should build a nice 1962 Porsche 356B Carrera Cabby.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

I've had the kit for about 20 years. I guess it's time to do something with it.

Edited by Swifster

And thus begins the journey of the 1960 Cor-Vex.

Major parts of the multi part body have been assembled. Since my kit had no chrome sheet I'm trying my hand at Winfield-esque styling. A resized, parts box, custom grill/pan has been added as well as scratch headlight brows.

Front20120110.jpg

If the back end reminds you of the '54 Wildcat Concept, it's no coincidence, but I'll take some liberties.

VetteRear20120110.jpg

Aircraft drop tank halves come in handy. Just not sure if I'll keep them yet. Still lots of filling and shaping to do.

Side20120110.jpg

Cool builds allready starting to pop up, I like it! I`ve seen what perverse creations that Luna, Jantrix and Slant are capable of. It`ll be good to see what the rest of you are going to be up to. I have a feeling mine will be pretty mild compared to most.

BK,I`ve built that 62 409 before. Its a nice kit and lends itself well to mods, you`ll like building it.