Model Cars Magazine Forum

2010 Ford Shelby GT500

Aukoue

About me:

Hi everyone, my name's Adam. I'm pretty new to this forum, however I had a chance to introduce myself to a few of you in the past few weeks. I live in Chicago, IL and I'm a sophomore in high school. I love cars since I can remember. And not just some kind, all kinds! I love Challenger's, Camaro's, Mustang's, Lamborghini's (Aventador mmmm), Ferrari's, Mercedes (E63 AMG <3), Kenworth's and more! I dream of cars everyday. While I'm sleeping, while I'm walking 2.5 miles to school, while I'm in school, and while I'm going home. I really want to learn programming, especially making iPhone apps. I'm not sure if you've heard of him, but Allen Wong (here is a great interview with him, it's long, but worth it!) is probably my biggest inspiration. If you don't know who he is, let's just say he's a 25 year old entrepreneur (app developer) whose daily driver is a 2012 Lamborghini Aventador. I'm interested in programming, but I also know that if I developed a decent app, I could get my dream car *cough* Aventador *cough*. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy this year, and don't really have time to learn programming (I know nothing about programming by the way, I just started learning HTML, languages like Objective-C or C++ seem like Chinese to me), so for now I'm just playing Powerball lottery and hoping for luck :D

About the project (Shelby GT500):

Okay, so you might wonder why I decided to put this kit together. Well.. There is two answers. First of all, I like it. I like cars and I like modeling. A few years ago I "put" together a car, a ship, and a locomotive. But I knew nothing about modeling. So they were sloppy and not painted. This summer, I tried to put a Kenworth K-123 together, but I used a wrong type of primer and paint spray and it's all messed up. The paint is basically like powder when you touch it and it started cracking! But now I know more, I researched a lot, therefore you could consider this Shelby GT500 my first (real) car that I'm going to put together. Alright, now time for the second answer. Like I said, I'm a sophomore. I'm not sure if it's like that in every school, but in my high school, every sophomore needs to do something called "personal project" in order to graduate. It's due in May (near the end of the school year). It can be literally anything. Anything you want; your hobby, but it needs to be approved by a teacher first (so you don't choose anything too easy). And the process of the completion of this project is supposed to last a few months. It's not supposed to be anything you do now and finish next week, or anything you do in March. I really wanted to create an iPhone app, but first of all I would need a Mac to create it. Then, I would need to learn Objective-C and create an app. I think that would be pretty impressive, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have enough time. I will still try that (after getting a Mac), but what if I won't have enough time to create the app? What if I won't learn the programming language? This is why I chose this model to by my back-up, however it turned out to by my priority, since I've realized it'd be pretty hard developing an app in such a short amount of time (for me of course, it would take an hour for Allen Wong to develop it). So yes, I'll be working on this over this school year and post my picture updates in this topic.

For those, who would like some examples of personal projects, here are some projects last sophomores did:

- (My favorite) A guy with his dad bought a Chevrolet Chevelle and they repainted it, changed the interior, changed the engine, and made it look like new. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it, but apparently it was stunning, as you can imagine.

- A girl created a model of her house out of wood and some fabric.

- A guy baked bread. Yes, he baked bread. I'm pretty sure it was a last minute projects. I mean.. I hope he didn't work on it for a few months, otherwise I feel sorry for people who tried it.

- One student create a model of our school in Minecraft (interesting, huh?)

I've noticed that most of you guys make models of cars/trucks from 60's - 80's and I hope that a 2010 car will be something unique (in a good way) and you will enjoy it!

I bought this model in Forever Timeless Hobby Shop for $69.99 (I think). I really recommend this store, if you live in Chicago you should definitely check it out. They probably have everything you are looking for. Well.. Except for paint sprays. It's prohibited to sell paint sprays in Chicago, so I either go to suburbs or order them on eBay.

1403090_348841738585823_1819478641_o.jpg

Edited by Aukoue

October 21, 2013

Alright. So I have washed the body and the hood and let them dry. After that, I sprayed the hood with primer, but I had some trouble. First, there were drops of primer visible on the hood, instead of an equal layer, so I had to remove the primer with sand paper, it took me some time. I tried again, but then, on the sides, primer started coming off, so I had to remove it again. The 3rd try was okay. So, on the left you see the both sides of the hood with 2 coats of primer on each side. On the right, you see the same thing with a blue paint on it. I think it came out okay. Not perfect but I'm satisfied.

1275920_348858915250772_906161798_o.jpgOkay. Here you see the body of the Mustang, which is just washed, I will spray it with primer and hopefully paint tomorrow. Wish me good luck :)

1379692_348860418583955_976200145_n.jpg

Hello Adam. Good luck on your build. That's a great kit. I think there are Hobby Lobbys in the Chicago area and you can get that kit ( and many others ) for 40 % off using their coupon you can either print from there web site or you can use your smart phone as well.

10/24/13

Alright, so here you can see the half painted body of the Mustang. I think I did a pretty good job for a beginner on it.

1397506_350055328464464_5081024_o.jpgHere is the hood and the body. I've had some problems with the hood and you can see some scratches on the center, but hey! That's okay :)

1396862_350055358464461_1302068921_o.jpg (Of course I will paint the wipers and other parts black later)

Now it's time for the engine :)

Edited by Aukoue

You are off to a great start. I'm glad you followed through and are posting your progress here. I would recommend researching polishing kits , you have the time to make that paint job perfect and a polishing kit can help make that paint shine like a show car . polishing kits usually start at 1200 grit and go up to 12000 grit you start with the lowest grit and by the time you finish with the last grit you can see your face in the reflection . I think your paint job is looking really good this is just a suggestion to take it to the next level . The paint job is the first thing people will notice so don't be afraid to put some time into it. I'm looking forward to seeing this project take shape and wish you success.

Thank you for the suggestions, guys! I'll go to the modeling store this Saturday and ask about the polishing kit. I just have a quick question. I bought that Testors glue, but it doesn't seem to work. I cut the end off, so there should be glue coming out, but nothing happens, do you know how I can fix it? And it's not the first time, I used to have one before, too and I had to cut the who top off and use a toothpick to get the glue. Thanks!

1401794_350200838449913_2068367090_o.jpg1403367_350200815116582_365354622_o.jpg

Nice job on the Mustang. I love the color.

As far as the glue goes I'd say that the tip is plugged or your glue is old an dried up completely. Take the top off and see if there is fresh glue in the bottle. If there is then your tip is plugged with dried glue. You may need to get a new tip or a new bottle of glue.

Too, you might want to add liquid cement and CA glue to your arsenal.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

• 2 weeks later...