Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2012 Fall New Releases Announced

Boot Hill Express...I'm gonna get me another one. The one I have, I built when I was 8. I'm liking the Mini, unless it's a repop of the Tamiya. Gonna pickup the pickups, Dodge and Lightning, and I like the Challenger. One question...where are all the 30's Fords??????????

I see quite a bit I'll get, the Road Runner, GSX, Camaro, both Firebirds, 93 Mustang, Boothill Express, and probably some more. I have a few of these already but I kind of want a fresh start on some of them, I wonder if the Daytona will be the full Promodeler kit with all of the stock car stuff?

Great to see the Vandal back out. I'll definitely be grabbing a couple of those. I've had a project based on that kit in mind for a while. Stock Hum is a welcome sight as well.

Foose is a little late to the party, yes, but his designs are generally clean enough that they hold up okay over time. What I hope doesn't happen is they alter the Firebird body irreversibly from stock. Throw all the doo-dads at it it'll take, but that's a great kit and I'd hate to see the old habit of making a return to stock a non-option again.

Sheesh, I almost missed the Challenger 1 in there. Typical 60's Revell fiddly kit, but a great subject and with some work comes out real nice. Since I totally ransacked mine for a kitbash project ages ago, it'll be great to add that one back into the collection.

Edited by Gluhead

Just my luck that after I scour the ends of the earth for a NIB 93 they announce a repop lol. Gosh darn. O well gives me a chance to get another new. I'm also real pumped about the 85 Camaro! Been wanting to build one of those. Actually most of the cars on that PDF get me cised, gonna be a fun winter!

Not a whole there to get me excited, although it would be nice to have a couple of those kits if they end up at Hobby Lobby and I get then with my 40% coupon. Still waiting for some of those new tools that are on the way (50 Olds, 57 Ford, 77 GMC).

Not a whole there to get me excited, although it would be nice to have a couple of those kits if they end up at Hobby Lobby and I get then with my 40% coupon. Still waiting for some of those new tools that are on the way (50 Olds, 57 Ford, 77 GMC).

The 77 GMC isn't a new tool. It's an old simplified Monogram kit from way back,so don't expect a lot on that one. It will have a new snow plow to go with it supposedly.

I'm looking forward to the Foose kits and hope these are just the beginning! I really hope Revell does them right and doesn't just add a set of wheels and tires to them,but I won't hold my breath. The rest, I already have or have no interest in.

The Ram pickip would be cool if it is a current 2500. Otherwise the GTX is about it.

When do we get the '62 Vette?

Joe.

Not current. Looks to be a reissue of the 90's kit.

Dodge1996RamVTSPickupTruck-vi.jpg

Edited by Jon Cole

wow quite a lineup. i have a couple questions:

that boot hill express, the skeleton, looks kinda familiar. is that sourced from the original monogram lil coffin? has it always been in this kit (edit: "this kit" meaning the boot hill express)? (i assume it has, i have just never had that kit). are there other parts similarities with the lil coffin?

i am glad to have the challenger I back, lots of kool parts there even if you dont build the car itself.

those foose things look pretty kool as drawings; i wonder how they will translate to real life.

why in the world would they tool up a new (original style) mini cooper when they then go head to head with an excellent (and probably superior) version from tamiya, just to mention one company? or do you suppose they are using their tooling and selling it under the revell name? real strange how this stuff works sometimes.

i might get that black diamond pirate ship, just for future "most obscure kit you never knew existed" opportunities.

arent all the 1/25 offerings reissues? i would not think it would make global market sense to be tooling new stuff in 1/25, not when youre competing in the biggest markets, asia and particularly japan.

Edited by jbwelda

why in the world would they tool up a new (original style) mini cooper when they then go head to head with an excellent (and probably superior) version from tamiya, just to mention one company? or do you suppose they are using their tooling and selling it under the revell name? real strange how this stuff works sometimes.

ROG also did a Citroen 2CV last year - and there were two kits already (a very nice Tamiya kit and a Gunze kit), so maybe they (European, Japanese builders) wonder why Americans have so many Camaro kits. As far as I know, it's a completely new tool for the Mini, as was the 2CV.

well *I* wonder why americans have so many camaros, err, camaro kits, too!

anyway i read back through the thread and i understand the mini thing a little better now if the tamiya is indeed undersized and if dude with the mini fascination/obsession says it is then i believe him. just seems a strange thing to invest in new tooling over (if, indeed, it is new tooling).

erik have you done a side by side of the 2cv kits, tamiya vs revell OG? i have the tamiya one but not the other and i wonder if they share tooling just like i wonder if the minis share tooling with a japanese release.

i have the tamiya one but not the other and i wonder if they share tooling just like i wonder if the minis share tooling with a japanese release.

No they do not share any tooling, both kits are completely brand new, from the ground up Revell AG tooling. The Revell 2CV is a 1982 2CV Charleston, whereas the Tamiya is a base model representing a 1960's model.

You also have to remember that the Tamiya tooling for both of these kits was done in the 1980's, and they were domestic market releases (meaning for Japan/Asia). If the Revell 2CV is any indication they're tooled up to current modern standards, and is just a wee bit better all the way around. The Revell AG tooling for these two kits is primarily a European market release that is nearly 30 years newer than the Tamiya kits. The internet has certainly shrunk the world of this hobby making it much easier to obtain kits that weren't aimed for the U.S., which makes it easy to do a "Why are they re-doing xyz?!?!" when in fact they aren't doing it for us in the first place. ;)

The 2CV was never reboxed for North America, if you want one you have to have one imported from Germany like you did if you wanted a Trabant, London Bus, or a M-B SLS AMG. So I find it interesting that Revell is going to rebox the Mini for the North American market. Also interesting that they are going to rebox the 599 GTO, but not the 599 SA Aperta.

cepftytntyktip_mini.jpg

Overall these fall releases are a huge snore-festival to me. The only 3 pieces of new tooling on that list are the Mini, the Ferrari 599 (both of which aren't even domestic market Revell tools, and the Snap-Tite version of the Pirate Ship (which for those who want one, there already exists a glue version). The only reissue that would have interested me was the GNX, but I found one of the older "High Tech" original releases for $10 on eBay a few months ago. I would expect nothing but some half-baked attempts at the wheels in the Foose kits, much the way the California Wheels kits are done.

No , as I mentioned earlier in this thread the ROG doesn't look like a repop of the Tamiya kit , the ROG one is slightly larger which hopefully corrects Tamiya's one being smaller than correct scale , the ROG one has 90 parts according to their website where the Tamiya one ranges from 130ish to 140ish depending on which version .

that boot hill express, the skeleton, looks kinda familiar. is that sourced from the original monogram lil coffin? has it always been in this kit (edit: "this kit" meaning the boot hill express)? (i assume it has, i have just never had that kit). are there other parts similarities with the lil coffin?

It appears to be the same skeleton as in the Lil Coffin kit, but I believe it has always been part of the Boot Hill Express kit.

The rear slicks and sidewall inserts are similar between the LC and BHE kits (and also the LIttle T and Orange Hauler kits), but they Torq Thrust rear wheels are slightly different, with the LC's being nicer IMHO, not to mention having a very nice, separate dust cap. Other than that, I don't think these two share much else in common, unless the early Hemi block and heads are the same?

I don't think it's surprising Revell made it's biggest splash at the Toy & Hobby Show in October, announcing new releases there, leaving mostly straight reissues for the second half of 2012. I think the '99 and '93 Cobra kits, as well as the Vandal were getting a bit pricey and more difficult to find, so it's nice that Revell is producing them again.

I'm clueless why the Ram VTS kit is back in production, and the ex-snap '84 Z/28 Camaro was last produced in the "Motorworx" line not all that long ago. In fact, several of these reissues were in the RMX lineup within the last eight years or so (GNX excepted), so I don't see much "digging deep" in this round of releases.

As for the Foose '68 Firebird and '67 Coronet, I would expect CA Wheels style rolling stock, but from the look of the 'bird's wheels, they will be more like the AMT "Rides" series kits' wheels. :o