Model Cars Magazine Forum

"portable" modeling kit...grab and go?

hello all,

Newbie here when it comes to modeling. I have not done one since I was a kid. My first model as an adult came in today (49 ford).

I am slowly collecting the basic supplies (and a few extras) to get going.

I have been reading on the forum for a while now. I especially love this thread for work area inspiration (Work bench Saturdays):

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=24630

Most of you (not all of course) seem to have a dedicated area to work and keep your supplies. All the pictures I see in there..seem to be in your homes.

I am not home that much. Seems like I am always somewhere else when I have free time. :wacko:

Anyway, Does anyone have a "portable modeling kit" that they just grab and take with them on business trips or anything?

Pictures would be very much appreciated.

I was originally thinking tackle box..but.. I live in a smaller town. The only place to get such a thing locally is walmart. They only have a few smaller ones left at this time of the year. Not much inspiration there.

I can order whatever i want online...but I really want to hear and see what works for you before I make that investment.

Thank you,

Brian

post-10388-0-39505900-1345969591_thumb.j

Edited by Brian_B

As one of the resident trucker-builders here, a tackle box is exactly what I use. I will have to wait until daytime to photograph it, but it's about the size of a toolbox. I have just about my entire supply of bottled paint the only ones I leave behind are "specialty" colors (like specific manufacturers engine colors - GM Red, Ford Blue, etc) that aren't called for in most kits I'd grab at random off my stash shelf. I have sanding implements, fillers, knives, brushes, glue and all the rest staged through the various drawers and compartments. Frankly it's 10x more organized than it ever seems to get on my home bench.

As one of the resident trucker-builders here, a tackle box is exactly what I use. I will have to wait until daytime to photograph it, but it's about the size of a toolbox. I have just about my entire supply of bottled paint the only ones I leave behind are "specialty" colors (like specific manufacturers engine colors - GM Red, Ford Blue, etc) that aren't called for in most kits I'd grab at random off my stash shelf. I have sanding implements, fillers, knives, brushes, glue and all the rest staged through the various drawers and compartments. Frankly it's 10x more organized than it ever seems to get on my home bench.

That sounds absolutely perfect! Exactly what I need. I would very much appreciate pictures. Thank you.

i think it depends on how you're traveling and to where (space to work once you're there). i can't stand waiting for people, but frequently find myself with anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours on my hands. i always have reading material and a cigar box full of parts to be cleaned up with me. Optivisor, clip on book light (battery powered), xacto, 3 grits of sanding sticks & wet/ dry paper, razor saw w/ wirenut handle, 3 shaped needle files. i think that's about it. i don't want to build, just do the prep work.

your conditions may vary.

i think it depends on how you're traveling and to where (space to work once you're there). i can't stand waiting for people, but frequently find myself with anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours on my hands. i always have reading material and a cigar box full of parts to be cleaned up with me. Optivisor, clip on book light (battery powered), xacto, 3 grits of sanding sticks & wet/ dry paper, razor saw w/ wirenut handle, 3 shaped needle files. i think that's about it. i don't want to build, just do the prep work.

your conditions may vary.

Hmm...interesting idea for a "car kit" for all my doctors appointments. Thanks. :)

I am often on the road, stuck in some room or whatever. I hate watching TV and I am trying to get back into models.

I use a Plano model 737 tackle box. I bought it at Walmart, but any good sporting goods store should carry them.It's big enough to carry everything I need for model building (well almost everything). It does weight around 30 lbs. but as soon as I finish my model room I'll take some stuff out of it.

Wal-mart (and a few other places) no longer carry the 737. No local sporting goods stores or anything. I found that one at Bass Pro (would need to order online). I do like the solid drawers on that model.

Wal-mart is of course out of stock here, but they carry the "angled" series of boxes (can have shipped to the store free). They have those plastic boxes in them, rather than the drawers.

Whatever I do...I wont be able to see one in person before I buy anything. :(

What is your honest opinion of the drawers? Is there a way you could get a few pics of yours for me?

Dr....something like that would be awesome! I am just starting out and will not have an air brush or anything for a while. :)

Edited by Brian_B

Mine us a Plano 7271, not sure how much this weighs exactly, but taking the top most compartment segregater (the area directly under the lid) and pitching it onto the table at home lets me carry 32 bottles of Tamiya and still get the lid back shut again. There's a separate deeper compartment on the right 1/3rd of the top compartment that lets me store a half dozen Testors Acryl bottles, 4 glues (Testors Model Master, Tenax 7R, LocTite Super Glue Gel and clear craft glue) along with bottles of MicroSet & MicroSol.

Thank you gentlemen. Both are very similar design wise. Both the same brand. The 737 is just slightly larger. The 7271 is 6.8 pounds shipping weight, so the other cant be much more than that empty.

Guess i will see which one i can find in stock. :)

Still would love to see pics at some point though. Just out of curiosity.

My self, I end up out of town for a few days about once a month also. A wile back I picked up a silver metal box at Walmart in the make up department for my pin striping stuff, because it looks just like an old painters box ( I found that funny that it was for wemons make up.... My wife didn't though ) , with drawers hinges on each side of the lids.and dividers. I picked up another that I can load up and toss in the car with me. I can't do a lot of painting in a hotel room, but plenty of other prep work or finishing work.

Edited by moparmagiclives

I used to spend a lot of time away from home, so I put together a small kit of tools that would fit in my suitcase. A cigar box would be perfect. You can probably find something similar in the fishing tackle. Just a small plastic box to hold your basic set of tools. You might also find something suitable in the art or sewing department as many of these things are pencil-sized.

My kit contained:

• #1 exacto knife
  • assorted blades, and the small saw blade.
  • Needle files
  • small paint brushes
  • glue
  • sanding sticks
  • small pieces of assorted sandpaper
  • a rubber eraser for a sanding block
  • tweezers
  • needle nose pliers
  • a few bottles of acrylic paint, double bagged.

I usually put the kit in my carry-on. But, the tools have to travel as checked baggage. I could build just about anything. But, spray painting in any kind of hotel environment just doesn't work, so I'd usually bring the model back home to do the major painting. Otherwise, I would stash it at the customer's site. Anything else, I could usually find somewhere in the client's city.

I build mostly at home, but sometimes when I go to visit my relatives, and I know that I'm going to spend there few days, I take my modeling stuff with me.

I have my tools in basic Tool Box. All paints, paint brushes and glues, etc are inside it. Sounds messy, but actually it's not. When I "Move" my bench from one place to another, I put styrenes and stuff like that inside the box too. (In home I keep styrenes and aluminium sheets etc on different place). Then I take the Model Box(es) with me and go.

The front separates into two compartments. One side has a cover that keeps a set of "drawers" that look like miniature versions of Brian's case he posted above. The other is just a large opening with a cover that I keep my paint brush "washing" container (gotta love those water soluble acrylics) and polishing kit (in the box).

Well..I found a big plano box. :( Its the "angle" style. In other words the "trays" are set at a 15 degree angle toward the top. Which in turn makes the top storage area slope from the back depth..to zero at the front of the box. No flat deeper area to keep paint bottles.

Instead of the deeper area on one side for the spinner bits. It has small areas on both sides..which have almost no depth. Cant keep taller items there.

Instead of the larger opening one side of the front..its divided into small ones on each side too. Not much way to store any larger items.

Overall, I was not happy with it for my modeling supplies. Looks great for a fisherman though.

I will wait a bit and order one online. Thanks so much for your help and suggestions everyone. :)

Right now, everything is sitting in a cardboard box. Hahahahaha

Edited by Brian_B

You bring up a great point! When we travel, I like to take school pencil box -- plastic, maybe 4"x8"s1.5", give or take some. Snap lid is attached. I take basic tools, but more important, I figure out what I am going to work on, based upon what extra time mom and dad project that we will have. I have taken showbox-size Sterlite containers that hold some paint, parts, adhesives and tools. When it's just to kill a little time, I might take some 1/35 military figures or some 1/24 figures. These require a minimum of tools, putty, paints, and not much room. I have a small, flexible mat, and a self-healing mat, both under 6"x6" -- the cutting mat is slightly smaller than the flexi-mat. Then I use the tray that is usued for the glassware and such as a "catcher" for parts. In fact, we've had some night-desk people at motels/hotels just give us one. An engine is also a good take-along project. Just remember to take some extra wiring and plumbing material, and extra PE pieces! I like to use small zip-top craft bags to keep things separated. They range in size from about 1"x1" up to 3"x6". VERY handy!!!

Edited by stevepye

I also like to take 1/35 military vehicles. I prepaint some of the pieces, and bring touch-up paint. All I need is my knife (and extra blades), tweezers, toothpicks, needles to apply CA (I stick the ends in a small piece of model railroad cork roadbed), a small amount of aluminum foil and some files. A cutting mat is always necessary, and I build inside one of the small trays (about 10"x14") that they use for glasswear and coffee stuff in the room, they're great to work in!

Edited by stevepye