Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trip to Texas

Hi Guys, I will be in Irving TX for work and will have the weekend of Oct. 25-26 open. I would like to know what is in the area to do? Hobby shops; Museums and other things within a few hours drive to pass the time. Any suggestions would be a big help.

Thanks

Rex

• 2 weeks later...

This area used to have a number of great hobby shops, but we've lost a few over the years. Since you're going to be in Irving, you're in luck, as one of the best is located right there.

1. Wild Bill's Hobby Shop
    Address: 535 E Shady Grove Rd, Irving, TX 75060
  2. Phone:(972) 438-9224
    Hours:
    Open today · 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
    Closed Sunday
    This is more of an old fashioned hobby store than, say, a HobbyTown but that's also why I prefer it. They carry a fairly extensive selection of RC & model RR stuff if you're into that. If your sole interest is automotive kits, you might be slightly overwhelmed by the car/truck aisle at first because, honestly, it's a bit of a cluster. The shelves can be packed up to three kits deep, and you never know what's behind a kit till you look. (I think there's a YouTube video of this store that shows what I'm talking about)
    The top shelf has the same issues as the lower ones, but the problem is compounded because the stacks are often 6 kits high. (Make sure there's a tall person in your group so you can move them around as needed)
    Years ago, I was fortunate enough to find the occasional NOS MPC or Johan kit there just by being persistent. That's probably not as likely to happen now, but every so often you'll come across something like a Model King release or some other kit you weren't expecting to see.

You'll also find a good selection of paint; he carries Testors acrylics, enamels and lacquers, and he's also got Tamiya acrylics and a half rack of their lacquer spray paints. It's been a while since I was last there, but he used to have some of the classic Polly S paints that've been discontinued. Keep a sharp eye out as you go through the paint section and you may be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

HTH