Model Cars Magazine Forum

Be that 'someone'

I read a lot of comments on here about 'someone needs to cast such and such part', someone needs to build this so it can be cast in resin', 'I need such and such, someone build it to be cast', 'we need this in resin' 'if it was available I'd by 10' and so on.

So be that someone. Instead of waiting for something to fall in your lap or waiting for someone else to do it, be that 'someone' that everybody is waiting for.

Some of us cant afford to buy the equipment thats needed to be able to do it ourselves. There are a few casters on here that will take suggestions and consider doing whats being requested. In some cases if theres enough asking for a product that it sparks a casters interest they will go ahead and cast the parts. There are even some that will 3D print it for you. If you are fortunate enough to be able to cast your own parts, good for you, ill send you a dozen cookies if it makes you feel better. How about you get a few plane tickets and go have a little sit down with the parents of the builders who are still in Jr high or high school, have there parents start casting parts or buy the equipment thats needed. Believe me, i would cast my own parts if i could afford the equipment, i would take suggestions, or requests, if a builder is willing to pay for a 1 off part or start a little side business selling a certain part, id sure welcome there business. If the whole did what your suggesting, there would be no business. Thats why small businesses exist.

So, again, i say, if a person doesnt like whats being posted, dont read it. Just because a person or persons dont like it, doesnt mean that everyone else is wrong, or what is being requested or discussed, is wrong.

I have simple solution to this "problem" that this thread is about...

Forget how to read!

The thing about that is that you have to know how to cast resin. If you don't, like I don't, it's almost impossible to achieve. I've thought about casting and have quietly been making masters in preparation to do so. But, the rub comes in when some low life buys your product, makes the molds and turns around and sells them for less money than you are selling them for. They can do that because they have no time invested in the product that you've spent hours,days,weeks or months on. Then, you have all of the legal matters like copyrights, licensing fees and such. There's much more to it than meets the eye as I have discovered. If/when I ever do start casting, my products will be high quality, thrown in the trash or sold as seconds. I won't sell junk and I won't sell anything not on hand. I would accept orders if it came to that. But, I would not accept money until the product was ready to ship. If I can't afford the licensing /copyright fees (more than likely), then I'm dead in the water and will just use/build what I have on hand.

Edited by plowboy

I cast some stuff, and its not easy. Its not as glamorous as you think it would be either. If I didnt spend 50hrs a week running a machine shop, Id have much more time more casting and building. I have about 40 cabs mastered, but no time to mould and cast them. I make all my masters from scratch, so the 3d printing seems like cheating to me, but Im also a computer programmer, so I appreciate the work put in. It sucks to put years into scratchbuilding a cab when someone can crank it out with a computer. But its also nice to have a perfect specimen.Anyway, I forgot what the topic was about.I like the days when I bought a resin cab and knew that the guy I bought it from busted his ass, so I could have a model if this particular truck. For the most part its still that way, but computers ruin everything. With that being said, I make a living with computers. I also dont make any sence. Goodnight.

Some of us cant afford to buy the equipment thats needed to be able to do it ourselves. There are a few casters on here that will take suggestions and consider doing whats being requested. In some cases if theres enough asking for a product that it sparks a casters interest they will go ahead and cast the parts. There are even some that will 3D print it for you. If you are fortunate enough to be able to cast your own parts, good for you, ill send you a dozen cookies if it makes you feel better. How about you get a few plane tickets and go have a little sit down with the parents of the builders who are still in Jr high or high school, have there parents start casting parts or buy the equipment thats needed. Believe me, i would cast my own parts if i could afford the equipment, i would take suggestions, or requests, if a builder is willing to pay for a 1 off part or start a little side business selling a certain part, id sure welcome there business. If the whole did what your suggesting, there would be no business. Thats why small businesses exist.

So, again, i say, if a person doesnt like whats being posted, dont read it. Just because a person or persons dont like it, doesnt mean that everyone else is wrong, or what is being requested or discussed, is wrong.

I have simple solution to this "problem" that this thread is about...

Forget how to read!

;) my parent sure would'nt buy that stuff

red=edit

Edited by redneckrodder

I cast some stuff, and its not easy. Its not as glamorous as you think it would be either. If I didnt spend 50hrs a week running a machine shop, Id have much more time more casting and building. I have about 40 cabs mastered, but no time to mould and cast them. I make all my masters from scratch, so the 3d printing seems like cheating to me, but Im also a computer programmer, so I appreciate the work put in. It sucks to put years into scratchbuilding a cab when someone can crank it out with a computer. But its also nice to have a perfect specimen.Anyway, I forgot what the topic was about.I like the days when I bought a resin cab and knew that the guy I bought it from busted his ass, so I could have a model if this particular truck. For the most part its still that way, but computers ruin everything. With that being said, I make a living with computers. I also dont make any sence. Goodnight.

Computers are only as good as the person using them. Just because it was made with a computer doesn't mean that someone didn't spend hours mastering it.

Computers are only as good as the person using them. Just because it was made with a computer doesn't mean that someone didn't spend hours mastering it.

like I said, I make a living programming computers. I get it. I know the difference between making something by hand, and spending hours programming it. Dont take offense to my comment. Making it by hand IS NOT the same as drawing it on a computer. I program much more complicated things than models, and I know whats involved with it. I have also spent the better part of a decade whittling out a truck cab from scratch.Your barking up the wrong tree. I respect what you do, Im not calling you out.