Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Tyrone... Thank you sir. Means a lot coming from you.

Dave... Thank you my friend.

Rom... It's great to see you back here and thank you for the kind works. I think its easy to say that I am a maniac and a little nuts for the extent of detail I am trying to achieve on this one...lol :lol:

Well Fellas... I got a couple hours at the bench tonight and feel I made some good progress was hoping for more but I am chipping away at this tin work little by little. I added some bondo and started making some trim work for it. Here is what I got done tonight.....

I started out by laying some Mud (AKA Bondo) on the tins. I wanted to get the bond on first before I added the trim pieces because it would be easier to sand with out the trim in the way:

DP-Army-Vega5204-1_zps0a93c9d3.jpg

I also added it to the dash to smooth out my filler pieces I added to it:

DP-Army-Vega5206-1_zps42c56666.jpg

Got it all sanded smooth:

DP-Army-Vega5208-1_zps9d85bcfa.jpg

Next I started cutting the pieces for the trim work I am adding:

DP-Army-Vega5211-1_zps4eff7863.jpg

After getting the pieces cut, it was time to glue them together:

DP-Army-Vega5214-1_zpsfec54dfe.jpg

Then I glued it to the body Tins and added the rest of the border:

DP-Army-Vega5224-1_zpsce280af9.jpg

Up next will be the Site Windows into the tins.... this was a first time sketch where I would place them and I will be changing it up from what you see after looking at the pics I have of it. So Stay Tuned and hopefully I will get to work on them tomorrow B)

DP-Army-Vega5230-1_zps4b673cda.jpg

Danno.... you sipping on the bubbly?? Not sure what you posted

Brad.... that summed it up...haha

Johnny Boy... Thanks Brother.

Mike.... Thank you so much for the compliments. Hey don't sell your self short. You are one heck of a builder yourself. I have seen your work and its clean and nice. Love your builds.

Guys I got some time in at the bench tonight. but don't have but one picture to share. I am still working on the dang tin work and I feel I am getting burnt out on it but I am pushing through to get it done. I was able to drill the Fire Windows in the fire wall portion of the Tins as well as getting things marked out where I am going to drill holes to add some more rivets. I still have been thinking what all else I have left on this body tin to finish up. I know I am getting close but still have some work before I can shoot some primer on it.

Here is what was accomplished tonight. Got both of the windows drilled out and kept figuring out different patterns for the rivets for the added pieces on the firewall. Now that I got the basic area marked where they will be drilled I will take one of my tools which i use as a center punch to get me to start the holes in the correct spot so the drill bit doesn't walk on me. then I will drill for the rivets. Then I need to make a border for the fire window. from my reference pics it looks like that's how its supposed to be, so I have been thinking the best way to approach and make that. Here is the pic.... its not pretty but hope you can see the direction I am going with this:

DP-Army-Vega5236-1_zpsfac37a2a.jpg

Brad.... Thank you buddy!! I am trying not to miss anything although I probably have....lol

Danno.... LMAO.... I am guess the picture was supposed to be of a frog?? Ribbet.... Ribbet ;)

Darryl.... Thank you sir.

Larry.... Thank you.

Dave... Thank you very much. I keep trying to push myself on things. When I do get this build done. I am planning on making a power point presentation pretty much with all of the pictures here to basically make a build book that I can place next to the car at shows. But I am sure if people would like a copy I would be more than happy to send the digital file of it when done.

Well guys... I sat down and drilled the location of the rivets on the firewall and going to continue with some work on the tin work but I feel that I am getting a little burnt out of this tin work and may switch back over to the engine for a little bit or the body and even the body cart. I am planning on pretty much building most of the day. So I hope I make some good progress to show you guys later. Thanks for looking and apologize I haven't posted much lately. I have been pretty busy with work this past week.

Here is the fire wall with the rivets in place. The top row of rivets I need to cut the length down on them so they will sit flush:

DP-Army-Vega5243-1_zps20d0f6ca.jpg

Gabe..... Thank you My friend. I think you are right that there will be enough rivets to keep them busy for a while...lol

Mike... Thank you my friend!!

Aaron... Thank you my friend. Little by little I am getting there with it. You are right that the finished product will be worth it and I really want to finish it by later this year. :lol:

Ok so I have an afternoon teaser for you guys. Been working on the tin work some more and here is what I have gotten done so far....

I started making the bezels to go around the fire windows. Started out with .010" thick styrene:

DP-Army-Vega5246-1_zps2793dd67.jpg

Upclose shot of the start of the bezels, started out from 4 pieces of plastic:

DP-Army-Vega5247-1_zps0125cd47.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5248-1_zps0b2b3577.jpg

Added pieces in the corner to shape the round areas:

DP-Army-Vega5252-1_zpsc627c4d3.jpg

Here is the look of what it will look like on the firewall:

DP-Army-Vega5254-1_zpsc6399eac.jpg