Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music

CorvairJim

Okay. The kit I have was painted in testors lacquer by its previous owner. A $2.99 bottle of 91% alcohol later and that paint is toast. The build begins this weekend. This is going to be a stake-side flatbed dually shop truck. The engine will be the Ardun flattie from the 50 Ford F-1. Paint will be a mildly distressed suede blue. I'm kicking around the idea of chopping the top a bit. I'm not a big fan of chop tops, but we'll see.

Rob, I am glad you were able to get that paint off. Where did you get the alcohol from?

finally got some bench time this weekend

i managed to chop out the door and i started building the interior parts

this was the first time doing something like this so i was a little sketchy about it but so far it seems allright

(i still need to fab part of the engine bay so the fender doesnt just hang there)

i also removed the from wheel and installed the discbrake which is now read for detailing

(thank again Matthew)

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTgtMjAxMTA0MTctMTU1OS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTktMjAxMTA0MTctMTYwMC5qcGc.jpg

Well I got a little engine work done on the Mustang, mocked up with wheels and tires. I think it is as low as I can go without dragging the oil pan. I thought it needed a little more of a modern look that the factory car in the video. Tomorrow I will dig out the Jag and the Vette and see what I have there.

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

DSCF0103.jpg

Guys, I'm seeing some great progress on these models so far! That Monte looks like it's gonna be a real mess, Eelco, but then, that's the whole idea of a "Rusty Chevrolet", right? Sam, your Mustang convertible's stance is fantastic! Earl, your Mustang coupe is super so far - Sally will be thrilled with it! And I'm not forgetting about Bob's Caddy and Nico's Merc that haver been up here for a couple of weeks already. Great stuff all around, guys!

Now I have to finish up my three other CBP entries (a 1960 Corvair 700 sedan "Glue Bomb" restoration for the Early Compact CBP and both a '66 Yenko Stinger and a Corvair Gasser for theVintage Competition CBP) and get crackin' on my "Brand New, Shiny, Red, Super Stock Dodge" - There's a little old lady out there in Pasadena who's getting impatient! I have a set of 1964 California plates all set to go on the Lindberg Dodge 330 I have for the project, but I'm thinking of getting a set of "GRANNY" Vanity Plates made up for it!

Edited by CorvairJim

Guys, I'm seeing some great progress on these models so far! That Monte looks like it's gonna be a real mess, Eelco, but then, that's the whole idea of a "Rusty Chevrolet", right? Sam, your Mustang convertible's stance is fantastic! Earl, your Mustang coupe is super so far - Sally will be thrilled with it! And I'm not forgetting about Bob's Caddy and Nico's Merc that haver been up here for a couple of weeks already. Great stuff all around, guys!

Now I have to finish up my three other CBP entries (a 1960 Corvair 700 sedan "Glue Bomb" restoration for the Early Compact CBP and both a '66 Yenko Stinger and a Corvair Gasser for theVintage Competition CBP) and get crackin' on my "Brand New, Shiny, Red, Super Stock Dodge" - There's a little old lady out there in Pasadena who's getting impatient! I have a set of 1964 California plates all set to go on the Lindberg Dodge 330 I have for the project, but I'm thinking of getting a set of "GRANNY" Vanity Plates made up for it!

Sorry about the slow progress Jim, I just can't find a Toyota body that looke enough like the one in the Hillbilly vid, I'll have to jump on it soon or'll I'll go balls out and scratch build a body. In the words of jeremy Clarkson "How hard can it be?"

Sorry about the slow progress Jim, I just can't find a Toyota body that looke enough like the one in the Hillbilly vid, I'll have to jump on it soon or'll I'll go balls out and scratch build a body. In the words of jeremy Clarkson "How hard can it be?"

It doesn't have to be the truck from the VIDEO, just the truck from the SONG. The song you picked was vague enough that you don't have to build your model based directly on a Toyota body. I think you nailed the style of truck the song had in mind (that's why they used it in the video, after all), but I don't see why you can't base your build on some other body. I like the idea of a big engine/big lift/big tires under a compact pickup, but why not think about an AMT Chevy S10 instead of the Toyota? They're easy to find - I have a couple of them in my workroom and I'm not even that much into pickups!

It doesn't have to be the truck from the VIDEO, just the truck from the SONG. The song you picked was vague enough that you don't have to build your model based directly on a Toyota body. I think you nailed the style of truck the song had in mind (that's why they used it in the video, after all), but I don't see why you can't base your build on some other body. I like the idea of a big engine/big lift/big tires under a compact pickup, but why not think about an AMT Chevy S10 instead of the Toyota? They're easy to find - I have a couple of them in my workroom and I'm not even that much into pickups!

Yeah screw it I'll scratch build the chassis tonight using my spare blown 427 SS chev and ford F250 underpinnings ;)

I've got to agree with Jim 100%, just because they used a Toyota in the video doesn't mean that only a Toyota is a "Hillbilly Deluxe". I'm a born and bred West Virginia hillbilly, and my slightly customized 1990 Ford F350 4x4 dually is my "Hillbilly Deluxe", even with it's rusted front fender and hillbilly rust repair, DUCT TAPE! ;)B) Really though, back to the serious side, up here in the states (since I noticed you're from the land down under Aaron) I've seen all different types of trucks that have "Hillbilly Deluxe" on the bug shield or back window or across the top of the windshield, I've even seen some big rigs named "Hillbilly Deluxe"!

Also, I don't know how I missed this CBP before, but I like it! I don't have a definite entry as of yet, mainly because I have tons of others that probably won't get finished for other CBPs :lol: , but I just might have come up with something for this one, maybe even go through some of my old trucking songs and get a big rig in the mix! :lol:

seems to me a "true" hillbilly deluxe would be an american car not as i heard it on the telly the other day "If your car is Japanese, but made in America...

...in a patronizing attempt to pretend we have a viable automobile industry...

...press 3.

i dont even car if its a dodge, a chevy, a ford or jeep but it has to be a american vehicle

Also, I don't know how I missed this CBP before, but I like it! I don't have a definite entry as of yet, mainly because I have tons of others that probably won't get finished for other CBPs :) , but I just might have come up with something for this one, maybe even go through some of my old trucking songs and get a big rig in the mix! :)

what about alan jacksons "where i come from" ?

it can be any rusty old truck with a missing universal joint or even the bobtail rig that called him on the CB

i know you got something you can slap that label on ;)

seems to me a "true" hillbilly deluxe would be an american car not as i heard it on the telly the other day "If your car is Japanese, but made in America...

...in a patronizing attempt to pretend we have a viable automobile industry...

...press 3.

i dont even car if its a dodge, a chevy, a ford or jeep but it has to be a american vehicle

You might have a point Eelco, but you'd be surprised how many of us good ole country boys drive Yotas like in the video! Even though I have my big Ford now, even this redneck had a Toyota at one time, too! That wasn't my only foreign truck either, I also had an Izusu pickup that was one of the best trucks I ever had! Even out four wheeled by friends Chevys and got where they couldn't!

still just doesnt seem right Matthew

for starters, i just camt picture a confederate flag on a nissan

and secondly, can you imagine a rear bench with say a morning musume flag drapep over it instead of a skynyrd one?

im sure they make decent enough cars but its just not right

remember what cotton hill said about the maroon mitsubihi?

Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor!

I've got to agree with Jim 100%, just because they used a Toyota in the video doesn't mean that only a Toyota is a "Hillbilly Deluxe". I'm a born and bred West Virginia hillbilly, and my slightly customized 1990 Ford F350 4x4 dually is my "Hillbilly Deluxe", even with it's rusted front fender and hillbilly rust repair, DUCT TAPE! :):) Really though, back to the serious side, up here in the states (since I noticed you're from the land down under Aaron) I've seen all different types of trucks that have "Hillbilly Deluxe" on the bug shield or back window or across the top of the windshield, I've even seen some big rigs named "Hillbilly Deluxe"!

Also, I don't know how I missed this CBP before, but I like it! I don't have a definite entry as of yet, mainly because I have tons of others that probably won't get finished for other CBPs :lol: , but I just might have come up with something for this one, maybe even go through some of my old trucking songs and get a big rig in the mix! :)

I was hoping to get a big rig or two into this thing! I even suggested it in my lead-in, with a couple of references to "Convoy". (OK, so that one's a little corny. On the other hand, I might just paint the Monogram VW Microbus I have waiting to be built chartreuse, slap some "Flower Power" stickers on it, and enter it after granny's Dodge is finished... After all, I am a "Friend of Jesus"!)

I tell you what guys, I may do hillbilly deluxe at this stage, however if a trip to the hobby store doesn't warrant good kit results I may have to find another song but I'll get into it :lol:

I was thinking if after I completed this build if anyone would be interested in another communtiy build focused on other music genres? it's a bit of a stretch but we'll see.

cant go wrong with a blown hemi

is anyone doing the antieuq caddilac from david allen coe's "the ride" ?

Not yet... You want it, you got it! Just out of curiousity (since I'm not familiar with the song), how much does it describe the car? "Antique Cadillac" leaves it pretty wide open. Anything from a Jo-Han mid-60's Coupe DeVille all the way back to one of their 1930's V-12s could fit that description.

... And you're VERY right about the Blown Hemi! :blink:

Not yet... You want it, you got it! Just out of curiousity (since I'm not familiar with the song), how much does it describe the car? "Antique Cadillac" leaves it pretty wide open. Anything from a Jo-Han mid-60's Coupe DeVille all the way back to one of their 1930's V-12s could fit that description.

... And you're VERY right about the Blown Hemi! :blink:

that is about msot of the description right there

he song does go on to say the driver was dressed like 1950, half drunk and hollowe eyed

but it would be interesting to see how one would interpret a car like that, what they would do to make it personal to the driver (you dont have to call me mister mr, the whole world call me Hank)

im passing on this one thoug, i got my plate full and im leaving for a 2 week vakation tonight

Okay some shots from me finally. This is an AMT 34 Ford p/u I recently got from Clay in a trade. This will be built as a stakeside flatbed shop truck for a fictional salvage company called L&R Original Parts Rescue. So far I have modified the kit suspension to get rid of the wishbones. I plan in totally scratching the flatbed (& stakesides)so I made a frame for it from 2x2mm stock. The rear step/ trailer hitch is to add the trailer I made a few months ago. The engine is the flattie from the Revell 50 F-1 and will feature Ardun Heads and triple carbies.

This build will be mildly weathered and feature distressed suede paint. No salt or hairspray here just paint that has gotten thin in areas and a little primer showing through. I plan on taking 1/8 inch out of the top (bout 3 scale inches) no hood sides. Checkerboard firewall, lots of wood, mud flaps in the rear. I'm still kicking the interior around for this one. I may use the bench seat and make another mexican blanket. Lots to do still.

34Ford1042.jpg

34Ford1041.jpg

34Ford1038.jpg

34Ford1040.jpg

that is about msot of the description right there

he song does go on to say the driver was dressed like 1950, half drunk and hollowe eyed

but it would be interesting to see how one would interpret a car like that, what they would do to make it personal to the driver (you dont have to call me mister mr, the whole world call me Hank)

im passing on this one thoug, i got my plate full and im leaving for a 2 week vakation tonight

what about the other version of "The Ride" ??

i dont know who its sung by but it was done right after we lost one of the greatest drivers of the NASCAR Cup Series!

and if you said "Dale Earnhardt Sr." well then you would be right on the money!

Nothing new on my mustang but I plan on some primer and starting the paint Sunday.

If it works out I'll post some photos.

Well Earl, you're a lot further along than I am (actually, it seems like EVERYBODY is!), but that's only because I'm involved in about 4 other CBP's at the moment. Two of those are nearly done - in paint and being chrome foiled, interiors finished.

Rob, I really like where you're going with your "Flatbed Ford"! One of the best things about it from where I sit is that it's nothing like I envisioned it. To me, it was always a mid-60's F-200 with faded white over red two-tone paint, a wooden push bumper, clearance lights on the roof, and a dog sticking it's head out the window. About the only things the two had in common were the dual rear wheels, the trailer hitch, and the business advertisement on the doors. It's models like yours that I had in miond when I came up with the idea for this CBP.