Model Cars Magazine Forum

Base coat for greens?

Usually gold will give you a richer warmer color, but possibly a little darker than silver.

It's best to match the color of the metallic flakes in the paint to the base coat. Silver flakes, silver base; gold flakes, gold base...

You can also use metallic grays as base colors to tweak the final shade.

Many silvers and golds are very dense, test first, you may not need to put white down first, save yourself a layer of paint...

Usually gold will give you a richer warmer color, but possibly a little darker than silver.

It's best to match the color of the metallic flakes in the paint to the base coat. Silver flakes, silver base; gold flakes, gold base...

You can also use metallic grays as base colors to tweak the final shade.

Many silvers and golds are very dense, test first, you may not need to put white down first, save yourself a layer of paint...

:D

Thanks!

Yates

Rowdy,

I don't know if you will need a "base" color under the Metallic green. I sprayed my 64 Thunderbolt Duplicolor Ford Deep Jewel green over white primer and it almost looks black in certain light. I would suggest that you make a test panel from a sheet of styrene. Use masking tape to make a grid on the styrene. Then mask (or use a spray sheild) half and spray a couple of different shades of primer on each half. Then mask off and spray the different bases on these. Finally spray your color over the different bases to see which you like the best. This is a little time consuming, but the best way to keep from stripping and respraying if you don't like the resullts. Be sure to keep notes on which base and primer color you sprayed where. Then you have this for future reference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...