Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 BRE Hino Samurai

Scale-Master

This is a Q-Model kit. Mostly (soft) resin with some white metal parts (high tin content too, which makes it crisper and harder than average, a good thing).

The body was cast pretty well, but it still needed a few hours of clean up. Here it is after the first coat of primer was used as a guide coat to smooth out most of the body. Still more to address and the rear wing needs to be added and blended in.

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

The interior base is one chunk of resin that includes “the engine” and chassis. Lots of mold release on this part, it repeatedly shed the primer even after multiple washes and scrubbings prior to working on it and after cleaning it up. Oven cleaner finally seemed to do the trick and I was able to get a solid coat of primer and black paint to stick, (at least for now…)

DSC01303.jpg

Thanks! But... Well, looks can be deceiving. The same issue that manifested itself with the chassis (mold release permeated resin rejecting paint) reared its ugly head on the body too. After the decals were applied. I had to repair and blend what little I had of the custom mixed color (around the decals no less). The clear is hopefully serving as a sealer and trap to hold the paint on now. Oh the joys of these old cottage industry kits...

I'm with you on that process Jacen. I guess I didn't post it here, but the oven cleaner trick worked on the chassis (after a soapy bath) so I also used it on the other parts. I think that since I let the body bake in the sun it may have allowed the mold release to leach out whereas the chassis was not "baked". So far it appears the clear is working as sealing agent.