Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Olds Full Custom...just completed last night

traditional

WOW! This is outstanding Cliff! What a fantastic build. Stunning paint, and the body mods are great. You've got a real eye for style and you've created a beautiful car in this '55. This has got classic custom written all over it. Realy nice work!

Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!

Beautiful job! The true secret to customizing a car is knowing when to stop. You are the master. Every modification contributes to the overall look of the car. This is the nicest custom I have seen in a long time.

Absolutely wonderful. The top is a great highlight.

How do I find REN?

I believe the trade-name is RenShape, but it's known in the design community simply as Ren. It's available in various densities, but I would avoid the lightest versions since they have more air-gaps and are therefore more difficult to paint. I would recommend asking if a local industrial design studio would sell you a small chunk of it the size and density you require. The wholesale trade size is a huge, thick board and it would be expensive. I have lots of smaller blocks of it that I use from time to time.......it's just handy stuff left over from my design days.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for showing some of your body work techniques, that really came out nice, that color really pops. Actually the whole thing is stunning, liked how you show it alongside the stock '55 Olds.

I am not too familiar with what REN is, the stuff that you carved the Carson top out of. Is it the hard machinable foam block that are often used to do tooling prototypes? I searched the net and can tell you what it's not! Tail lights what did you carve them from?

Edited because I can't spell right after working all night!

Edited by Skip

I really enjoy looking at these "subtle" customs, where the work is so seemless, you may miss where the work was actually done had you not pointed it out, because the changes look "right", not just for the sake of change. I have looked at this project multiple times, and appreciate the elegance each and every time.