Model Cars Magazine Forum

'78 International Scout Sport Pickup

I actuallly got the idea for this one while building another heavily modified Scout II model (more on that one when/if I ever finish the thing).

I got to wondering... what if IH had decided to come out with a competitor to Dodge's LRE pickup? Of course, IH had discontinued it's 'full size' truck and SUV line after 1975, but they still had the Scout II, which was available in a 118" wheelbase on the Traveler and Terra models. A little bit of quick R&D, and maybe IH could've done this...

IMG_50551-vi.jpg

IMG_50561-vi.jpg

IMG_50571-vi.jpg

IMG_50581-vi.jpg

IMG_50591-vi.jpg

IMG_50601-vi.jpg

IMG_50611-vi.jpg

IMG_50622-vi.jpg

IMG_50631-vi.jpg

This is the Scout II kit, with it's wheelbase stretched 18 scale inches and a new rear cab bulkhead fabricated for it. It was also converted to 2wd by cutting out the front differential and making a new axle beam from 5/32" aluminum tubing. The bed is from a Ford Courier kit, and it has modfied Monogram '50 Ford F-1 fenders (because they look very close to the old IH stepside fenders- with a little reshaping they'd be near perfect), and INTERNATIONAL tailgate lettering foil copied from a Transtar grille. The side steps were scratchbuilt.

The model features plenty of '70's muscle car cues- Keystone mags, side pipes, blacked out hood with scoop and pins, and nasty metallic brown-orange paint. (Testors Flaming Orange in this case.) What's a '70's vehicle without a questionable paint hue? Oh- there's also a CB, because it was illegal NOT to have a CB in the '70's. :lol: I also carpeted the floor, added a T-handle shifter, window cranks from a Transtar kit, and a LRE steering wheel.

Under the hood, I dressed up the 'Red Diamond' edition engine by painting it Harvester red, and leaving the valve covers and air cleaner chrome. I also added some details under the hood, as this kit is pretty Spartan out of box.

Would such an animal have saved IH? Meh- I doubt it. Still, would've been kind of cool if they'd produced something like it, huh? :lol: It would've been the first factory produced stepside 'compact' pickup, and would've beaten Dodge to the punch by a decade with a modern 'roadster' pickup!

Edited by Chuck Most

I read somewhere that engine guru John Lingenfelter was once an engineer at IH. Can you imagine what might've happened if he'd been given free rein over the engine dept?

I'm thinking of songs about Internationals that the Beach Boys might have written...

Be kinder to your binder

It runs like glue (my 392)

She's my little coupe Scout (I don't know what I bought)

OK, back to reality. You did a great job on yours, especially the engine/underhood details. You're also correct that Testors Flaming Orange looks like a '70s color.

I've still got one unbuilt one back in the closet somewhere...hmmm.

I read somewhere that engine guru John Lingenfelter was once an engineer at IH. Can you imagine what might've happened if he'd been given free rein over the engine dept?

THAT would've been cool!!!!

On a related note... if the Beach Boys ever wanna replace Brian Wilson- I think you'd be the man! :rolleyes:

Chuck This actually works well I think It looks like it could have been done. Only difference I'd do is a lid on the cab But thats just me and would probably be there in removable form if real. Great job !!

Yeah- thought of doing a top, but I'm lazy! :)

Very cool.

If you don't mind, I have a Scout floating around here that I've been trying to come with something to do with, I'd like to perhaps do a variant on your idea. Don't want to "steal it" without asking.

I'll be the last guy to object to that idea!

According to one of the moderators on the Binder Planet message board (a forum for lovers of all things IH light truck related), a few guys actually have done this. In fact, he told me a guy way out in the Phillipines did a real one that looked almost exactly like my model.

My local dealership had a Terra as a service truck. The bed got so rusty and beat up, they cut it off and put a flatbed on it, and a set of stacks off of a Transtar. That thing was cool!!!!

Funny... I was working on another model Scout model based on a similar thought (minus the Transtar stacks, though). All I'll say is stay tuned...

• 3 weeks later...