Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2013 Camaro ZL1

migace

If you mean the ZL1 wheels, yes. I will take some pics and post tomorrow AM.

The standard wheels for the ZL1 are the black ten spoke that are shared with the 1LE, the five spoke wheels are an extra cost upgrade. I was hoping for the ten spokes. Oh well maybe the Revell one will have them.

Thanks for the pics

Can't tell from the pic's, but looking at the PDF kit instruction sheet, the dash appears to be from the 2010 issue, as the radio face is the smaller face design not the larger display added in 2013. Can you confirm, Gerry?

It has alarger display screen, but no decal provided for detail. See below for update

The standard wheels for the ZL1 are the black ten spoke that are shared with the 1LE, the five spoke wheels are an extra cost upgrade. I was hoping for the ten spokes. Oh well maybe the Revell one will have them.

Thanks for the pics

Let's hope Revell will do one. I don't relish doing the conversion to full detail versus time on another model (like a Fujimi F12 Berlinetta sitting on the shelf). I WILL do the AMT convertible combined with the Revell detail.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

So I did some more research, measurements, and took close up shots of the AMT 2013 ZL1, AMT 2011 Camaro SS Convertible and Revell 2010 Camaro SS. The AMT ZL1 comes with the same radio dash wide screen as the 2011 SS Convertible. This is incorrect for a ZL1 as it comes standard with the Chevrolet MyLink with 7” diagonal screen. It looks close, but will need to be corrected by a modeler wanting to be more prototypical.

AMT 2013 ZL1

DSCF3494_zpsd65a876e.jpg

From real car:

2013_Chevrolet_Camaro_ZL1_Convertible_51

AMT 2011 Camaro Convertible

DSCF3495_zps9b82eac7.jpg

From real car:

radio.jpg

Revell 2010 Camaro SS

DSCF3496_zps9274cf3c.jpg

From real car:

radio.jpg

In this case, the AMT kit is a little "soft" on detail versus the Revell. The convertible would be the most obvious since the dash is so visible.

I agree.... I wish they would do a GS body..... Coupe and Roadster.....

Then I could build my 1:1 car..... It is one of several of my 1:1 cars that I have not been able to build.... hope they do it soon....

But with the 2014's in the pipe-ine already I really doubt it will happen.....we will no doubt see a "Show-room" replica of the 2014 by mid-summer.....

One of four of my "real ones"........

FrontView-vi.jpg

That is a great GS.

AMT needs to recognize it has been more popular than the standard car since it was reintroduced.

A 427 car would also be a possibility

One of the things that is interesting and at the same time frustrating is that the model companies seem to completely understand how to put wheels (especially) and several other chrome parts on the tree with the connecting lugs in paces that will not damage the visible finish. (....in the SNAP style / curbside kits like this one)...... BUT they just can't seem to translate that to the much more expensive glue kits..... This has been going on for some time.....

How well will a LIGHT Dye work on that BLACK rubber/Vinyl though???

Very well, I worked in an auto upholstery shop years ago ( the man I worked for was the one that came up with the formulas for the SEM dyes, they started with Pactra Aero-Gloss Dope for model airplanes) anyway I have re-dyed black interior in a Mercedes to a light tan for a dealership so they could make a sale, wasn't hard at all, still looks good 20 years later. I saw the car at a local car show last week-end.

I see people that are talking about using the Revell kit to build a full detail conversion but wouldn't it be easier to do most of the chassis work using the AMT full detail kit from the concept, they are still pretty easy to get, & cheaper than the Revell one at that.

I see people that are talking about using the Revell kit to build a full detail conversion but wouldn't it be easier to do most of the chassis work using the AMT full detail kit from the concept, they are still pretty easy to get, & cheaper than the Revell one at that.

No the amt concept kit does not replicate a production car in any way, the engine and suspension are completely different. The revell kit is the only choice.

Yesterday, i tried to swap ZL1 part with the converible parts just for fun!!

I does fit perfectly, all the parts that differs from SS to ZL1 are apart from the body, even the rocker panels!!

So i ended up with two complete bodies, a ZL1 convertible, and an SS hardtop without wasting a single part from the bodies!!!

I like it!!

Very good looking kits, even if it's curbside!

And i think the tires are better than Revell.

Yesterday, i tried to swap ZL1 part with the converible parts just for fun!!

I does fit perfectly, all the parts that differs from SS to ZL1 are apart from the body, even the rocker panels!!

So i ended up with two complete bodies, a ZL1 convertible, and an SS hardtop without wasting a single part from the bodies!!!

I like it!!

Very good looking kits, even if it's curbside!

And i think the tires are better than Revell.

Thanks for this information!

That is a great GS.

AMT needs to recognize it has been more popular than the standard car since it was reintroduced.

A 427 car would also be a possibility

Thanks!!!....The 427 and GS convertible cars would be easy to do as models as they are essentially the same body style.....with a different engine... both run the Z16 suspension.... hence the popularity of the Grand Sport.... you can get a GS for about $30 - $40K less than the 427 car and it is still a 4 second 0 to 60 car ....... the only real difference is the 378CUI - 436HP engine in the GS vs. the 427CUI motor at 505 HP..... both are rockets!!!!

I agree.... I wish they would do a GS body..... Coupe and Roadster.....

Then I could build my 1:1 car..... It is one of several of my 1:1 cars that I have not been able to build.... hope they do it soon....

But with the 2014's in the pipe-ine already I really doubt it will happen.....we will no doubt see a "Show-room" replica of the 2014 by mid-summer.....

One of four of my "real ones"........

FrontView-vi.jpg

I agree with both of you, i once consider swapping the rear portion of a ZR-1 to my convertible to build something like this, but i will wait a bit till AMT release a GS body!!

I'm sure they will!!