Model Cars Magazine Forum

New old guy

Greetings!

I've been on the forum for a while now, but never a formal introduction.

I started building in the early '70s, with the usual interruptions of life along the way.

Resumed in the early '90s when I had some time to kill and wandered into a hobby shop where I encountered the double-whammy of the reissued Little Red Wagon and the new Gas Ronda T-Bolt.

I have yet to recover from relocating 15 yrs ago, and haven't been able to line up space and time to get back to building for what will be the fourth time.

My main interest is drag cars from what I consider the "golden era" 1960 to about '74, along with some customs, rods and such.

This forum is an endless source of inspiration with many gifted builders and brings me a little closer to the bench each time I visit it.

Thanks!

Scott

Hi, Scott. Welcome from a fellow Missourian. I take it from your handle that you are from Chicago. When I was a teenager, used to hear the ads for the U.S. 30 Dragstrip on WLS radio, at nights on my old AM radio. ("Sunday! Be There!"). Welcome. Adios, Larry.

Larry,

That's correct, born in Chicago and lived in the area for 38 years.

Funny you should mention US30, that place was Disneyland to me as a kid.

We lived next door to some hard-core hot rodders who ran a bracket car there.

You were liable to be assualted by the sound of a big-block Chevy with a tunnel ram through open headers almost anytime in the evening or weekends. Always on Sunday morning before they towed to the strip.

Unfortunately being the neighbor kid, I only got to go to US30 twice during it's heyday.

The bracket classes (US30 called it Run Tuff Eliminator, cool no?)had everything from T-buckets & dueces to Camaros and Super Bees, and everything in between.

That place will live forever in my memeory along with those obnoxiously awesome commercials!

Thanks!

Scott

• 4 weeks later...