Model Cars Magazine Forum

van builds finished or wip

shortynose-vi.jpgshortyrear3-vi.jpgIMG_2538-vi.jpg

Here's what I have in vans... the purple pickup above started out as a cube van project. Then I decided to create the pickup cab with the front and back of the van body. What was left of the body is in this last shot. It banged around the model room for at least 10 years as you see it. It was even used as a paint stand in my spray booth. Then one day I picked it up and started carving....

IMG_2757-vi.jpg

And wound up with this camper. Got two models out of one old Dodge van kit.

Here's my Vantom Fantom whatever the latest release is by Round 2. I had a laid out suspension built for the Dirty Donnie van but, it got stepped on. So, I trimmed the rear of the floor pan and slid it under this because the kit suspension and pan looked like more work than I wanted to put into this one. It still needs a little work.

Edited by Skydime

Here's what I have in vans... the purple pickup above started out as a cube van project. Then I decided to create the pickup cab with the front and back of the van body. What was left of the body is in this last shot. It banged around the model room for at least 10 years as you see it. It was even used as a paint stand in my spray booth. Then one day I picked it up and started carving....

IMG_2757-vi.jpg

And wound up with this camper. Got two models out of one old Dodge van kit.

I think we've all seen this in real life in one form or another...

I think we've all seen this in real life in one form or another...

thanks Tom that's what I try to achieve with these models. Those little slices of life we all find familiar, sometimes of a past era, that could be forgotten. Someone once called the builds "Rockwell-esqe".

Here's some shots of AMT's Vantasy model that I built for this year's Round 2 contest. It had to be built with only kit parts, so the only thing that I got creative with was the handpainted graphics. The images are a tribute to Vincent Van Gogh and Robert Crumb.

DSC_0019-1_zpse68c61e7.jpg

DSC_0033_zpsd9474416.jpg

DSC_0010_zps51a051f8.jpg

DSC_0012_zps55ff8495.jpg

DSC_0004_zps204e4f0c.jpg

DSC_0027_zps7ed3c742.jpg

DSC_0020_zps27860dc1.jpg

DSC_0023_zps217782f6.jpg

DSC_0021_zps76066aa5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

More or less scratch built . This is a model of the 1956 L'Universalle van that was built by the G M C Truck and coach division for the 1956 Motorama . This van nearly went into production . Had it not been for a major alteration that G M accounting would NOT approve , the distributor interfered with the bottom of the seat !

rearopenLuniversallevan.jpg

001.jpg

Only van I have right now.....

Would love to see/ hear how you lowered it. I'm working on this exact kit at the moment and wanting to drop it. Any help would really be great if you're up to it. Van looks amazing. Awesome weathering!!