Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Cadillac Custom -- 1 yr build now finished 12/25/12

tjones87

Going to be building this 59 Cadillac. is the first build in about 5 years. Wanting to keep the customization to a minimum, but stuff that is noticeable. May take a little while to complete, but going to try and have it done in about a week, maybe two. Got as much done tonight as I could (waiting on more paint to come in) and will be updating this as things progress...thanks for checking it out and any comments and/or suggestions are welcomed...

here is a couple pics to give an idea as to what I am going for. Gloss black w/ flat black interior (with touches of chrome and aluminum), thinking black wheels w/ chrome lip and ls2 engine....but could change as build progresses haha

Now finished and Underglass

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68295

Edited by tjones87

haha actually thought about going with a pink pearl when I first bought the kit, but going black for sure now. My airbrush decided to quit working yesterday, so waiting for another one along with the gloss black paint...I have checked out some of your vids online, and they are great...going to be checking more of them out as soon as I am done here...thanks and keep checking back

• 1 month later...

Well finished up the 32 ford...now back to this while waiting on parts for 49 merc.... I got the chassis together and sat the body on for a mock up..let me knwo what ya think...went a little different way than I had previously planned...going to be using a 354 cadi engine (race version) and the 20" chrome wheels. Plan on keeping it simple an clean...more to come, as soon as engine gets in. thanks

2012-01-03_153758.jpg

got some paint sprayed onto the body and hood a little while ago...will get clear sprayed and the interior pieces painted tomorrow...hoping engine gets in by the weekend, so I can complete this build...thanks for looking

DSCN2173.jpg

DSCN2176.jpg

DSCN2177.jpg

Edited by tjones87

thanks for the comment....I cant wait to get this thing all shiny and ready to be the first build of 2012...here is a pic of the engine i am using..hopped up street version, but swapping out the 4 carb setup for the 6 carb setup. Plan on going with the stock dark blue engine with chrome accents. I soaked the pieces to be painted in purple power (took 5 minutes and chrome plating was gone) and will leave the rest chrome..accidentlay dropped the oilpan in the purple power and dont feel like robbing another engine kit (I got 4 kits lol) so will probably be painted aluminum...will update asap...thank again for checking it out

DSCN2178.jpg

DSCN2180.jpg

Ok guys I finally got the interior parts painted along with the convert top. and snapped a few pics...some of you are probably thinking all black will be too much. but with all the little chrome pieces on the interior and some parts will be painted aluminum like it says in the instructions...

DSCN2182.jpg

also black washed the front and rear bumper grilles and the cowl area of the windshield frame...

DSCN2189.jpg

got half the engine together and painted one coat...will get a second coat on in a little bit and try and finish the engine this evening and will be back with more pics...thanks for looking

Edited by tjones87

finally got engine assembled...and after 3 coats of paint...here is the final product..well haven't attached the transmission yet, waiting for it to dry...

DSCN2197.jpg

DSCN2198.jpg

DSCN2199.jpg

hoping to get some clear sprayed on the body and interior assembled tomorrow ...almost ready for Underglass section ;)

Edited by tjones87

Well...after alot of words being said and alot of leaving the house to get away from this build I have got the engine and trans mounted and ready to start the interior.

I ended up having to use the kit engine, and just swap soem things over from the other engine. I tried for hours to get the parts pack engine to fit right, with no luck. It still looks like what I wanted and will look good once complete....Here are a few pics, so let me knwo what you think...

the engine is a dark blue but with the flash it lightens it quite a bit...will try and get better pics once I am finished.

DSCN2201.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2203.jpg

Edited by tjones87

there will be no more updates on this build for awhile...as i was clearing the body the wind decided to blow right after the first coat, and the car came off the stand and hit the dirt...so it got put in the box and back in the closet for a later date...which really sucks because I was wanting to get it done tonight...but just cant mess with it anymore...thanks for all the comments so far...maybe one day in the future i can manage to get it finished...thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Well got the body out fo the box today and was looking at the ruined paint/clear. I thought I would try wet sanding it to see if it would do any good...and it seemed to smooth everything out enough. So I sprayed a couple color coats on it and looks to be pretty decent....will get a pic asap....hope to clear it sometime this weekend...thanks

• 2 weeks later...

finally got a chance to shoot some clear on the body, hood and convert cover...Not the best clear job, and has a little orange peel, but not too worried, since you can see a little of the previous damage I think I will just leave the clear alone...maybe it will draw your attention from the other places lol...hoping to get it finished up soon..Will get better pics later on once I can handle the body more...thanks

DSCN2875.jpg

DSCN2880.jpg