Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real car recommendations

I figured I would ask this here since I can get an unbiased opinion vs asking on a specific car forum. I currently drive a 1999 Ford Ranger. It's a decent little truck but at 152k miles its showing its age. It's a regular cab and I'm growing tired of not having much room.

I'd like a fullsize v8 truck, but I don't want the 13mpg that comes with it. I've had one before and it was nice, but after really thinking about it I rarely use the bed of my current truck and don't have anything to tow. The wife's grand Cherokee can handle towing duty anyway should the need arise.

So with that said I think I want another car. I've only had one car in my 13 years of driving. (A 2001 firebird) I was considering a mustang gt, but I'm only looking to spend around 8k. Most of the ones around that price range are as worn out as my truck. I'd like to keep it under 100k miles, really around 75k or so. I just need some ideas of something that is fun to drive and reasonably economical. I don't want an econobox but 25+ hwy mpg would be great.

Joey

Edited by JFortner5

Go to carmax.com and type in your needs. Easiest way to see what's available that fits your specs and your price range.

Asking here for people's recommendations is pointless. It's like asking other people what flavor ice cream should be your favorite.

All you will get is a bunch of different people telling you what they think is the car you need... and in the end, you will have learned nothing. Ask ten people what car to buy, and you'll get ten different answers. How can that possibly make your decision any easier?

In the end all the other people's opinions mean nothing, you still have to decide what it is that you want.

Several facts that I have learned about street cars...

1. Trucks are to be borrowed or rented, when needed.

2. Nothing is more versatile than a hatchback.

3. It is always more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.

4. You do not need 4WD (for so many reasons), if you have the right tires.

Go test drive a VW GTI, or something similar.

Edited by wisdonm

GTI, I hadn't thought about that. I will have to look into the VW's. I agree about the truck thing. I always considered myself a truck guy, and I did use the bed a few years ago to haul my atv and dirtbike but those are long gone. I used my bed one other time since I've had this truck and it was to haul a little gravel. I have plenty of friends with trucks and also my dad in the event i needed one. 90% of my driving is commuting to work and back. 75% of that is interstate.

Whatever I get I'd like to be able to cruise along at 70-75 with ease. Only other requirements are fun to drive, manual transmission, and 4 seats. A hatchback might be the perfect thing.

I just posted this to get some ideas flowing. I'm not really asking for somebody to pick a car for me, but to share experiences with vehicles they have owned or driven enough to have formed an opinion of.

There are cars that are better off bought new, pretty much the ones that hold their value too well. That would be the Mustang GT you mentioned, Toyotas and Hondas. With zero percent financing it can actually be cheaper to buy a new one than a year or two old one that a dealer is still asking close to new price for!

My own advise is to buy domestic since a totally trashed Toyota Camry is still commanding a big price. The last two cars I bought were (1998 & 1999) Plymouth Breezes. Chryslers, and other domestics, don't hold their value too well and make excellent used cars. I look for older cars with low miles. For instance, I bought both Breezes about six years ago with around 30,000 miles on each. I paid $3200 for each. I bought the first one for my daughter quickly when she wrecked her Corolla on a Friday when she needed to go off to college on Monday. We realized it was a comfortable car that performed pretty well with the 2.4 engine, so when I saw a second one for sale, I grabbed it for my daily commuter. My plan for this car was nothing more than to use it as an appliance. I have nicer cars that I didn't want to put the 3 hr daily round trip commute on. The Breeze did it's service well for 200,000 miles. It would probably still be on the road, but my daughter let the oil run dry (she told me her boyfriend was checking it, yea right!). The first Breeze is still in my other daughter's hands and now has 140,000 miles on it with no problems. I've recently been tempted to buy a 1999 Dodge Stratus with 60,000 miles on it for $3000. Good transportation values.

MVC006S1-vi.jpg

My best advice is to buy something that you feel comfortable in. It's ok to go to the car lot JUST to test drive cars. You can always tell the sales person no thank you. And local individuals with used vehicles are always easy to meet up with for a quick test drive. Drive different types and brands until you get a general feel of what you want.

Just make sure that, whatever you get, look it over. Look for spliced, hanging or damaged wiring, structural damage, fluid leaks, and check all the buttons to make sure they work.

Consumer reports. Find what you need, which vehicles fit that need, and finally which one fits your budget. If you are looking at a car a few years old, CR will have enough feedback (data) about areas of concern - transmission, electrical, etc - so you can focus on cars that not only perform well and fit your needs, but ones you won't have to dump money into.

Anecdotal stories about "oh, man, I had one of those, good car" or "mine broke all the time" don't tell you anything - ANYTHING - about potential reliability or how you would like the car.

*** Jaguar *** Get something that is "Long.....Sleek....Sexy.... Yea i know you are most thinking that the Expense....Cost of ownership.....Maintenance....is $$$$ ...not for me the last one i had that was Sleek...and Sexy cost me a lot more.....and yes she purred too...

Really though...it all really depends on what you have your heart set on....needs....wants...and so on.... i am sure you will get more response here on this thread....then perhaps the thread on "How many miles do you get out of a clutch"..

Good Luck.....BTW....those Ford Rangers are nice little trucks.....you made the right choice then...sure you will do again..

Cheers...Don...aka XJ6

I`m not sure if you are considering something a little older, like a 2001-2002? Have you considered the LS1 Fbodies (Z-28, Trans Am)? They should be right in your price range, and what is surprising is if you get them with the six-speed, 30 mpg on the highway shouldnt be too difficult, even with the basic bolt-on mods. Plus you will have 350+hp at your disposal. :-) My 2001 Firehawk has 425+hp at the crank (have cam and heads). My brother managed to get 28mpg combined on a 5 hour trip with it!