Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

mine is actually the Uncertain T, mint in mint box, and including all the display stuff: stand, girl, trophy etc. then I would promptly build it.

actually I would really like a Merit Lotus 11 kit but they go for such funny money for what it is, I can't even justify it to myself.

and a Maserati Typo 60 Birdcage too while we are at it, again too dear $ wise.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

......many of my xmas gifts from xmas 1968.........amt 69 mach1, amt 68 Shelby with record, revell 57 nomad 'surfer box art', mpc 69 coronet r/t, mpc 69 chevy pickup, amt 34 ford pickup hillbilly hauler, mpc universal jeep, and mpc swamp buggy jeep. one of the xmas that I will never forget.....the ace........... :rolleyes:

Hard for me to pick.

Start with the 61 Annuals that have not been re-issued or Newly tooled.

(I AM a 61 Annual Myself)

Next, I guess the AMT/SMP 60 Chevy Wagon Jr Trophy, & 3n1 Sport/drag Boat

Third, those kits that were Indy Pace cars that I have not found/have not been re-issued/Newly tooled

Afterwards, The Fujimi/Aoshima/Hasegawa 1/32 Buses & trucks!!

Maybe even some of the Ban Dai Star Trek ships, but, those were ALWAYS HIGH $$$$$$$

Edited by Edsel-Dan

My holy grail kit is so rare I have not been able to even find an image of it on the web, but it is an early version of Aoshima's Datsun 720 pickup. I bought me one at age 12-13 and although the kit itself was rather more of a toy than a model, the box art was to kill for! The box top showed artwork depicting a green (light emerald or thereabouts) w/black hood truck down to it's wheel hubs in mud from about 2/3 front view, and a taught winch wire coming in from up the trail. It had a roll bar hoop in the bed w/four round auxiliary lights and a heavy off-road bumper up front w/two more lights on it. The driver as seen through the windscreen wore a helmet, racing suit and a four point harness.

The kit itself was motorized, and there was an option of 2WD w/steering front wheels or 4WD straight ahead only. Both build versions sported a functional winch powered by the rearwheels motor. I realize Aoshima still use the Datsun body, but have done away with the battery operated chassis, and have tooled up a deeper interior and a more street-friendly chassis. I seem to remember this offering to be part of a series of six trucks. Datsun 720s and Toyota HiLux. Three of each. Most were set up w/Desert Dog tires (later offered separately by Am. Satco), but "my" Datsun and presumably one HiLux sported Padlatrak paddle tires. I have not much hope of ever finding another one of these. I suspect they were too cool for their own good, and were sold and built and played with like they should. I did however find a later issue of the same, but in a really dorky street custom guise. Nowhere near the level of cool of my grail.

If anyone have a lead, or a picture or anything please speak up.

DSCF1256_zps31abcc86.jpg

The 1st Gen Chargers are my favorite cars of all time. So I'd like every kit that featured one.

01652c5240a4479e0a6ea173ad2976b1_zps3870

3dc4c12595329680b0e3412483bd8a12_zps0e98

images_zps403fd57d.jpg

608-2001967_zpsa6a8e048.jpg

And I built and loved this kit as a kid, my first try at BMF, and I loved it. It was stolen in a move along with a dozen or so other builds from my youth. I want another.

7fcf521750e49ec2e02212b87c5a3548_zpsb408

I've always defined my Holy Grail Kit as that one special kit you have searched for years and finding it would make your life complete! It doesn't have to be expensive, just impossible to find! It's not a long list of relatively common kits.. hint- if you put it in eBay and several examples pop up... it's not hard to find!

I can say I no longer seek the Holy Grail! I have been fortunate enough to find and acquire all those rare kits from my youth, and everything I wanted truly bad. The one car I would have considered my Holy Grail is the 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet promo. This is no doubt the rarest Plymouth promo (body style - I'm not counting a muscle car rare color). I've done some research and believe that it was never officially released because it has some glaring errors. For instance the body has the 1965 style roof and not the new for 1966 roof. The change probably happened at Chrysler and never was conveyed to AMT for the promo run. I believe that Chrysler got their internal copies, and had AMT destroy the rest. All the copies I've been able to trace to their source started with a Chrysler employee.

Sooo... I searched for years. I found one on eBay during a time when I wasn't able to spend the money. A year or so later another one appeared. I still wasn't 100% in the right financial position but reasoned the combination of me and the model would never be perfect so I hit that "Buy It Now" button for $400. That was 4 years ago. Yea, the most I ever paid for a model. Since then someone cast it in resin and I have two copies of that too.

my_66_1-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to find and buy my holy grail earlier last year, but I've not had the chance to build it yet.

10024294.jpg

Already a limited run of 2000 in Japan alone, this kit is almost completely unheard of here in the states. And it commonly gets confused with the MK2 Celica XX kit, which is just slightly more common to find as only 10000 were released! (And I have one of these as well! )

ToyotaCelicaXX.jpg

What makes them so rare is that they are not curbside models, but actually have full-on engine bays and detailed engines. All the ones Tamiya have released and exported to the US have been curbside, the Testors model kit that pops up on fleaBay from time to time is curbside, and many of the different body-style Fujimi kits with the Aero parts and such are always curbside. Yes, with some customizing and detail work they can have fully realized engine bays, AND you can buy resin engine block kits with turbo manifolds and intercoolers, but it just makes it nicer to have. Hopefully I'll have mine built with its swapped in 2JZ-GTE later this year.