Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

how hard would it be to mod it into a 78? maybe a resin 78 front end?

Completely different body and interior. These are the '67-72 generation. For a '78, I'd use the AMT '78-79 which was last out as a Model King issue maybe 5-7 years ago.

Edited by Rob Hall

Great jukka Mukka , ya mean we're finally gona see a REAL 1-25th scale Ford 240-300 inliner ???????? Wowza , I have owned several Econolines with this motor in it . I now drive a 78 with a 300 in it .I hope Mobius will also not leave the 75-79 guys out in the cold as the cabs actually shared a few tools . I can assure Mobius that BOTH trucks will be good sellers.............

I'm not a fan of Fords much at all, but this kit look like it will be way too nice not to own.

That's how you know it's good stuff. When even the non-Ford fans want it. :)

Any truck love for the Chevy and Dodge pickup fans coming down the pipe?

Wow! These are going to be just too cool. Especially that six banger! The body looks great, and they got the windshield height right at the top. The old AMT truck was way off!

MVC001F-vi.jpg

That windshield glass should be up there parallel to the side glass!

That's true Tom but you're comparing apples to potatos.

Different generation trucks, different cabs.

Seems a lot of people posting in this thread are under the impression that the AMT trucks are the same generation as the ones coming from Moebius ,, that are not the same generation. No body panels are the same.

I understand that Steve. I was just pointing out that Moebius has their details right, better than old school kits.

Seems a lot of people posting in this thread are under the impression that the AMT trucks are the same generation as the ones coming from Moebius ,, that are not the same generation. No body panels are the same.

Yep, '67-72 is the fifth gen (which some call a 'bumpside'), '73-79 is the sixth gen, which some call a ( 'dentside' or 'grooveside'). The two generations have some dirty bits in common, but the body and interior are different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_fifth_generation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_sixth_generation

Apples and oranges to me because of the 30 years of kit quality and mentality improvement in the industry ( these are not toys) .

My absolute favourite aspect of the late '66 - '7? (and the Econoline , for that matter) is the hub caps' design !

I long ago dubbed them the "crown hubcaps" when I was young ; and I still love that design to this very day !

I share the same passion for the Dodge '69-'75 hub caps , and the c.1967-c.1974 Chevy / GMC deluxe wheel covers (think: the 'covers in the old MPC Cheyanne Pickup / AMT 1972 GMC High Sierra ).

Good call on that 6 popper for the F-100's ! I hope that *both* kits include *both* engines --and separate transmissions-- in them !

test shots look very nice. I will be ordering alot of these can't wait

The pics that Dave Metzner has posted in this thread are of the tooling mockups, NOT test shots. As he noted, there are corrections to be made yet, and those need to happen before any tooling is cut--but compared to some tooling mockups I have seen along the way, the Ford pickup mockups are just plain NICE!

Art

I'd still like to float the suggestion of making the '71's grille inserts separate- this would open the door for '70 and '72 variants later on. Even if that doesn't happen that won't stop me buying several of these- just saying! :D

I really like the detail in the cargo bed- it looks like you guys put in the effort to make it look authentic. That's an area that most kit manufacturers just sort of gloss over.

These two 'generations' share a lot more than most people think, Steve. As the owner of several of both types of these trucks I've done a lot of measuring and comparing. The cowl/windshield areas and floor pans are very close to being identical with two inches added to the cab length behind the doors/seat on the 73-up cabs. Windshields, carpets, seats and most mechanical parts (i-beams etc) interchange between these. The 67-72 dash was still used in the heavier 73-79 F600 and up series trucks and a popular swap into the older trucks is the rad support and galvanized inner fenders from the newer ones, mainly because of scarcity of the older parts.

As far as what Tom says about the AMT cab, he's right about the windshield opening being too short and I might add, the tops of the doors seem too high as well.

Those mock-ups look great, Dave. Hope those rear side marker lights don't get left on the '69 box (not that they wouldn't be easy to fill in) and the roof looks a little soft but it could be the angle the pics were taken in.

mike

73/ later frame is either 2 inches narrower of 2 inches wider -I can't remeber which - not something you'd see very well @ 1/25 scale and the big difference is that the later model trucks have gas tanks bnder the rear of the box not behind seat as in 69-72.. mechanically the two generations are pretty much the same - Pretty sure that 73-later all have front disc brakes while 69-72 F-100 had drums on the front while F-250 had discs...I know that some guys actualy have built bump sides on 73 / later chassis without major problems.

Edited by Dave Metzner