Model Cars Magazine Forum

Behold My NAKED FURY! Blue Fury Pics Added 11/9.

Some years ago I saw a photo of a newly restored Sea Fury being rolled from the hanger without any paint or markings. I forget whether it was bare aluminum or overall silver paint (which would probably be polyurethane these days) but I was struck by the inherent beauty of the Sea Fury airframe and thought I'd build a model just like that.

Hobbycraft 1/48 kit built 100% out of the box. Paint is Tamiya rattlecan Gloss Aluminum. Exhaust panel and spinner airbrushed Testor Chrome Silver just to get a little contrast, though it doesn't show up all that well.

I was right. The Naked Fury is a thing of beauty, is it not?

(Note for non-airplane people: What's a Sea Fury? It was one of the last piston-powered, prop-driven fighters, and one of the very best. Too late for WWII, it saw action in Korea and at the Bay of Pigs and was used by Britain, Canada, Netherlands, Australia, Cuba, and Iraq, just off the top of my head. It was the follow-on to the Hawker Tempest, which was the follow-on to the Hawker Typhoon, which was the follow-on to the famous Hawker Hurricane. It was comparable in size and performance to the late-model P-47 Thunderbolt and F4U Corsair. Today, several race in the Unlimited class at Reno along with the Mustangs and Bearcats.)

HCSeaFury202_zps1fafb3dd.jpg

HCSeaFury204_zpscf7c77a3.jpg

HCSeaFury206_zpscd2753b6.jpg

HCSeaFury209_zps7576f18a.jpg

HCSeaFury207_zps1abc4603.jpg

HCSeaFury211_zps5bba4562.jpg

Edited by Snake45

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another Hobbycraft Sea Fury I finished up a couple years ago. Australian Navy in an attractive dark blue scheme. I custom-mixed the paint to match photos but to tell the truth I don't remember what I used. But it's not clearcoated nor polished.

HCSeaFury105.jpg

HCSeaFury107.jpg

HCSeaFury111.jpg

HCSeaFury109.jpg

Just came from the paint shop(no exhaust staining on the fuselage)

Hey, it ain't a Skyraider! :D

The airplanes I modeled the blue one after must have been kept pretty clean (they were basically airshow machines, IIRC). I don't recall seeing any particular exhaust staining on the pics I researched. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing all that much exhaust staining on ANY Sea Fury. Maybe the Centaurus was a clean-running engine.