Model Cars Magazine Forum

Watching the paint dry. Rat Roaster (It's dry! Well sort of.) 3/20/13

rmvw guy

I forgot how long these old cans of Testors Boyd's enamels took to dry. I sprayed it on with my airbrush which didn't help. I had the idea to do a quick, easy build after watching others finish one of these in a week or less. I was thinking of Schwinn colors from the sixties, that's what Stacy's ride makes me think of. Green, purple, gold, yellow and red come to mind for me. This is when I wish I still had a dehydrator. And this is how they end up back in the box and never get built for me. Here's a few pictures.DSC04643_zpsb3942949.jpgDSC04630_zps1a2b454e.jpgDSC04634_zpsf544ad54.jpgDSC04635-Copy2_zps924035c2.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

heh yea.. I hated the testors paint in a can when I was a kid for that reason.. I loved the colors but with it's long dry time I never could get the paint to work for me!...

I love the color of the 50 chevy ( the wife jabbed me and said you should do that color on one. ) what color is it?

heh nice I dont get HRM anymore...

Here's the can so far I have painted the '50 and a '62 Impala convertible. I think there is enough paint for one more. Thanks to everyone else for your comments also.DSC04644_zpsd1877bc4.jpgDSC04645_zps4d334a45.jpg

You do some beautiful paint work. I'm excited to see how your going to use them colors on that roadster. I just have one question. when you paint the parts on the tree, what do you do when you have to take the parts off and there's that nasty spot were it attached? I haven't attempted any paint work to this caliber so I'm trying to get some ideas on how you guys do this. Thanks for any help, I'll be keeping my eye on the build.

You do some beautiful paint work. I'm excited to see how your going to use them colors on that roadster. I just have one question. when you paint the parts on the tree, what do you do when you have to take the parts off and there's that nasty spot were it attached? I haven't attempted any paint work to this caliber so I'm trying to get some ideas on how you guys do this. Thanks for any help, I'll be keeping my eye on the build.

Leaving the parts on the tree is not really a good practice. I will have to touch up the little spots with a brush and most of the time I don't do it this way. It kind of bleeds over from when I used to paint all my models this way for my son to assemble. He didn't care about the little marks. Sometimes I use a little spot of hot glue where it won't show and reattach the part to the tree. Another thing I will do is after touching up with a brush I will sometimes clear over it and it smooths out. Ultimately the best way is to treat every individual part like it is a separate model I guess. I think I read that somewhere. Thanks for the comments.

Leaving the parts on the tree is not really a good practice. I will have to touch up the little spots with a brush and most of the time I don't do it this way. It kind of bleeds over from when I used to paint all my models this way for my son to assemble. He didn't care about the little marks. Sometimes I use a little spot of hot glue where it won't show and reattach the part to the tree. Another thing I will do is after touching up with a brush I will sometimes clear over it and it smooths out. Ultimately the best way is to treat every individual part like it is a separate model I guess. I think I read that somewhere. Thanks for the comments.
Ah ok, thanks Ron. That's how I thought you would of done it, I couldn't think of any other way. I never understood why they put those tabs somewhere else that's not going to be seen. Would really help things out a great deal. Thanks for the tip with the hot glue, I'll have to try that. Right now I'm just folding some tape over, then throwing it on the back of the parts with it raised off a piece of cardboard. Seems to work, so far no problems.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm still watching the paint dry, in the mean time here are a couple more photos. I decided to give the '50 Chevy a shot so started on engine in the first photo. About half way through I started thinking about a V-8 in this one. See, it's been put away too long. So while I'm thinking about that I started on the interior for the Rat Roaster. More drying time here too, what am I thinking! Okay next build I may go back to Dupli-Color paints Crazy Jim.DSC04651_zpse89dc6c5.jpgDSC04649_zps4cf81192.jpgThanks for looking.

Edited by rmvw guy

Thanks John. I have tried the one shot and liked it. I am really just trying to use up some of my old paints. How much is enough and what do you do with it? If I need a new color I will buy more, I am sure. DSC04656_zps45e5b1d4.jpgDSC04657_zpsaea87c3a.jpgDSC04658_zpsd63fa05e.jpgDSC04660_zps46af8787.jpg

You want Schwinn bike colors? Try Testors One Coat lacquers. They dry like THAT(insert sound of fingers snapping)!

Still watching the paint dry. This Boyd's paint is taking way too long. It still feels soft enough for my thumb to leave a print. Normally Testors enamels take around 3 days to dry but, not this color. Still there is something nostalgic about using Boyd's paint, maybe I should just save the can.DSC04627_zpsaeb78ce1.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

I did make a little progress on the '32, started assembly on the interior.DSC04663_zps519b73b0.jpgDecided to go with fake diamond plate in the bed on the '50.DSC04661_zpsa6c91386.jpgI like these wheels but, I only have two of them.DSC04667_zpsd39cd9dd.jpgI trimed all the little pieces off the sprue and touched up the paint where I cut them off. Not too bad.DSC04662_zps82f83539.jpgThanks for looking.

I forgot how long these old cans of Testors Boyd's enamels took to dry. I sprayed it on with my airbrush which didn't help. I had the idea to do a quick, easy build after watching others finish one of these in a week or less. I was thinking of Schwinn colors from the sixties, that's what Stacy's ride makes me think of. Green, purple, gold, yellow and red come to mind for me. This is when I wish I still had a dehydrator. And this is how they end up back in the box and never get built for me. Here's a few pictures.DSC04643_zpsb3942949.jpgDSC04630_zps1a2b454e.jpgDSC04634_zpsf544ad54.jpgDSC04635-Copy2_zps924035c2.jpg

Do yourself a favor, and and buy a dehydrator. I bought mine from Amazon, and got some extra "rings" to give it a bit more height. A dehydrator will dramatically reduce the drying time on those Testors enamels.